News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How to make rennie friends at faire

Started by Auryn, September 23, 2010, 02:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auryn

Hey Everybody,
I have a question.
how do you go about making new rennie friends at faire.
My bf and I have been attending in garb for a couple of seasons now and to be honest, faire is starting to become a little lackluster for us.
We walk around, eat, catch a few shows and do it all again the next weekend.
That can only take you so far in enjoyment.
I am a very social person but I still feel awkward going up to some random stranger and trying to force a conversation.
Any suggestions about how to go about making faire friends which we think would greatly increase our enjoyment of faire??

Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Becky10

Whoa mind reading right there! I was like just now thinking about this! I am getting a feeling that a lot of the enjoyment of faire is centered around the people you meet and get to visit cause I still love faire and get excited for the new season but I also just spend my time walking, eating and watching  (new shows were a god send!). Unfortunately i think i am going to have to just hold at it a few more years cause there aren't that many faire goers who are in a close age range to me.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

RenStarr

I have no idea which Faire(s) you attend, but I've found that camping at the faire is a great way to meet new folks.  Both of the primary faires that I attend provide areas for camping.  Wondering around the camp grounds after faire or sitting around a camp fire in the evening is always a good way to start up a conversation with someone you've never met before. 

hint hint.........look for a reason to toast something, actually anything!!   ;D
Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.
2013 TRF AHE RenNado.....heck of a night

LadyStitch

Funny enough we made many of our Rennie friends by simply sitting down at a table.  We went to the preview at Scarby and started talking to people.  It was kind of nice.  And then we heard about the meet and greets for the Ren Faire people at scarby so started going to them, which lead to Rendevous, which let to friends at other faire, which got us friends at other camps at TRF, which mean we have Rennie friends everywhere. 

How I ment Ren people?  Looks around.  Here.  I ment them here.  ;D  I just took the chance and said hello to the outside of cyberspace. :)
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

bran_gray

I am kind of in the same boat.  Been going to faire for a few years now and this will be my first season in garb.  I've met Queen Bonnie who is a wonderful person to make friends with.  Just bring a marshmallow peep along with you and stomp it into the ground.  The best suggestion I can give is check the forum for the faire you'd like to meet friends at and see if there are any pre cannon meet and greets.

If business ever picks up for me I plan on taking some time off in October to camp at TRF and hopefully meet some new friends.  There are plenty of friendly people out there that would leap at the opportunity to abu...I mean help a new faire goer!

PS Don't drink the loki.  Unless you enjoy hair on your chest.

LadyStitch

BTW yelling out "Free food" is also a good way to meet people at TRF.  We always have left overs so we like to share.  We just go camp to camp carrying a ladle, bowls and plastic spoons feeding our new friends.  Timeless way of making friends.  Free food!  ;D
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Rowan MacD

Facebook is not to be underestimated.  Nearly all the fairs have a page, so if you already network this way,  it's just another step.  
 Once you start friending rennnies, just friend the friends that have the same interests (I start with the ones who use a faire pic of themselves in garb unless I know them personally)
  If you are a fan of the same acts, shop at the same places; these are good places to meet up in person if you feel comfortable enough.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Auryn

Thanks guys,
its nice to know we aren't alone in this boat.
Our faire is south florida, unfortunately there are only a handful of people that come to this board that attend our faire. If you take a looksie you will see that the local board for our faire is basically dead.

We would love love love to camp at faire, unfortunately both of the major faires in Florida ( FLARF and BARF) do not allow participant camping- vendor camping only.

I will definitely take all of your considerations to heart including the face book.
We are planning on trying to make it to BARF for the tailgating breakfast,hopefully we will make it and be able to meet some awesome people from this forum.

As always, thanks for sharing and commiserating  ;D
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Lady Nicolette

Shameless plug for R/F pins here!  

And even if you can't afford one or pins aren't your thing, make note of meet'n'greets happening at Faires you go to that members of this forum post!  If there isn't a thread for one, start one...Most of the people here are very friendly and if you're not as outgoing as some, they'll make up the difference for you.  Soon you'll be wishing you didn't know quite so many people at Faire so you could be more incognito once in a while. ::)  Just kidding, the trade off is worth it!
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Lady Renee Buchanan

We always get to the shows a little early to get a seat.  So many of the times, we just strike up conversations with people sitting around us.  If you go a lot, you get to at least recognize people, even if you've never spoken to them.

Another thing that has been great for us is the Friends of Faire garden.  Most of the members stop in for a sit down now and again, and it's easy to start talking to someone who sits down next to you, even if it's a little as "nice garb," or "That's a beautiful mug, where did you get it?"  Then you begin to recognize them while walking or waiting for a show, and it's easier to strike up a conversation.

I wish I had a nickel for every time I've been walking around and someone saw me and said, "Lady Renee Buchanan?"  because they see the R/F pin I always wear.  It would have paid many times over for the multiple pins Steve & I own! And definitely go to every meet & greet that you see posted.

Another thing it's taken me ages and ages in my lifetime to find out.  Many, if not most, people are naturally shy and won't make the first move to speak to a stranger.  So I decided to be the one who starts the conversation.  We have made so many wonderful friends at faire this way, who have now become friends, not just faire friends, but every day, in the outside of faire world, too.

A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Lady L

Auryn, you aren't alone. I have had the shop at MNRF for 13 years. I have met a few people from here, from time to time, but I can't go to their meet ups, because I am in my shop all day, from cannon to cannon. There have been a few that have come in to my shop, but this year, so far, only 2 have stopped to say hi. Sometimes, I have seen 6-8 of them standing out aways, talking with each other, but too far for me to run over to them. Some of the people from here, that say they are coming out, I don't see them and my shop is right up by the front gate. Maybe I was taking a break at the time?

As far as meeting people at the show, I have met some entertainers, then they moved out of the country. I have met people online, then they came to visit once and moved out of the country. One person I thought I was friends with, didn't even say hi for the past two years and I saw them out there. This year, I haven't seen them at all.

I will talk to people who come into my shop, but that's the thing, they have to come to me, because I can't go to them.

As far as camping for participants, I believe the rule here is you have to live more than 50 miles from the site and I don't. It wouldn't work for me anyway, for health reasons.

We also don't drink (medical and other reasons) and it seems that a lot of socializing happens around drinking, or meeting at pubs.

I have come to know the shopkeepers on either side of me, maybe a few others, that's about it.

So for anyone coming out the last two weekends of MNRF, please stop by and say hi. I won't try to hard sell my art to you!  ;D

Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Lady Rebecca

Quote from: Lady L on September 24, 2010, 02:10:52 AM
We also don't drink (medical and other reasons) and it seems that a lot of socializing happens around drinking, or meeting at pubs.

That seems to be what I run into. I've met people from on here before, but especially when I went to BARF this year, I felt out of place with them because I don't drink, so I sort of just drifted away.

Also, I'm bad at getting to faires by cannon, so I usually miss any tailgating that goes on.

But the RF pin definitely does help as far as running into people goes. In general, though, I just like to go a couple times to faire by myself, to check everything out, and then go with friends any other times I head to faire. It has also probably helped that I have yet to go to the same faire in more than one season, since I keep moving around.

Anna Iram

Rebecca, if you should make another trip to BARF or another of our faires, please let me know. I have a drink now and again, but much prefer to see the shows and wander than spending time at the pub. I'd love the chance to meet up with you.

Same for you and your boyfriend Auryn. Drop a line if you plan to visit and if I,m at faire that weekend I'd love to meet you.

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Lady L on September 24, 2010, 02:10:52 AM
Auryn, you aren't alone. I have had the shop at MNRF for 13 years. I have met a few people from here, from time to time, but I can't go to their meet ups, because I am in my shop all day, from cannon to cannon. There have been a few that have come in to my shop, but this year, so far, only 2 have stopped to say hi. Sometimes, I have seen 6-8 of them standing out aways, talking with each other, but too far for me to run over to them. Some of the people from here, that say they are coming out, I don't see them and my shop is right up by the front gate. Maybe I was taking a break at the time?
I will talk to people who come into my shop, but that's the thing, they have to come to me, because I can't go to them.
So for anyone coming out the last two weekends of MNRF, please stop by and say hi. I won't try to hard sell my art to you!  ;D

Hugs lady L, 
  I know most of the vendors at our local fairs, either personally or just a nodding acquaintance, and I try to stop to say hi and ask how business is a couple of times a day.  Sometimes it's nice to have a smaller, more intimate venue.
Having booth-sat a few times so people can get food, make a privy run, or just to allow them to take in a show (hey I get to sit and rest my feet too) I know that parking in one place all day can get boring and someone stopping to say hi or just to talk can be a godsend.   I hope your folks will take the time to drop by and check on you. 

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

arbcoind

Quote from: GoodyTombShoes on September 24, 2010, 06:27:15 AM
I am very thankful that "Goody" is gregarious. I comment on peoples garb asking where they found it and telling them how much I like it. If I see the same people over and over I have been known to just say Hi. Sometimes I ask about where people are staying and how long it took to get to faire. I've bought beers at pubs and asked for photos with people. It's all about the approach, the honesty and the good will.  
My suggestion is simple. Say hello.
I figure if both parties are in garb at a ren faire, there must be a common thread to build on.

You and I are twins!  This is what I've been doing and it works!

Gina