News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Has anyone had a Season like this?

Started by Jay Byrd, September 21, 2010, 11:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Byrd

So I've been to faire alot this year.  I have seen only one and maybe a half shows.  Not that NYRF isn't loaded with talent, I just seem to be socializing alot more this year and never seem to get to see anything.  I have met  alot of great people and I feel the season, although not over has been a wonderful success.  Just wondering if ya'll have ever had a season like this, as this is the first in many years of going that has been like this.

Jay Byrd

Oh and the Belly Dancing that I saw was way worth the time.

LadyFae

Most of my trips to Fest are like that- no "time" to see the shows (even if I'm there all day!)  This year I've actually been to more shows but haven't stepped foot in many shops!
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Ronald the Bald

I am active in many things at faire. Because of that I seldom have time to stop and see shows. I do usually have time for maybe one or two a day, but that is it. Scarby has very active and involved playtrons. This last year I cut out one of my activities just so I would have more time to watch. Didn't quite work out like I planned.

When I go to other faires, I spend a lot of time watching. Many of those are the same acts I missed at Scarby, so that mostly makes up for it. Even then I would get involved like I do at Scarby if I had the chance.

arbcoind

Yes, this season I socialized more than anything.  I caught only small parts of the shows, mostly as I was walking past a stage or near the pub.  But that's how I like to spend the day.

Gina

jinx

It's funny...as much as I LOVE the shows at Kentucky Ren Faire, it's rare I actually stop to watch one.  I do spend a lot more time socializing, and sometimes feel awful for it, because most of those who do shows there are great friends of mine. 

Even at O-Ren, were I don't go as often, since I moved to Kentucky, I catch a few of the shows, but spend most of my day catching up with friends.
Lust.
Pirate.
Wench.
Mischievous Little Imp.
Dinosaur.

Delireus

This season I get to go home for Thanksgiving in Texas, which means I'm back at Texas Renfest, which I am uber stoked for. But it's also the only week I have time to see friends from high school too. As soon as I found out I was going home I invited about 10 friends to go with me to renfest and every one said yes. I never expected this. If it all plans out, I'll have so many people to talk to and catch up with it'll be crazy.

I'm also going to the Kansas City renfest in a few weeks, and I hope to meet some people from here for the first time :). I've also learned that 2 groups of friends are going the same weekend as me as well as the 6 friends I'm going with. I'm really excited to have such a social season,  I hope to meet new people. I really like the shows but I might sit this season out to be more sociable.
- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is

ladyharrogate

I'm lucky because I work with the kids at festival and we take them to see shows.  Even with that it's hard to catch them all so we try to catch the new ones.  If you've been around a long time it's understandable not seeing as many shows.  Especially as some of the shows don't change too much from year to year or faire to faire. 

Drudonn

I usually go to TRF with one or two friends, so I'm able to socialize, and also go to shows and go into shops, etc. because there aren't that many of us.  This year I'm going with a much bigger group, so we'll see how that works out. Of course, since we're camping (first time this year!) we'll have plenty of time for socializing, and also get to do whatever we want, and see what we want, at faire.

Jinglebum

I normally only catch one or two shows, personally. I have fun watching the shows, but I have a lot more fun walking around the grounds and socializing. :)
Oh... Shiny!

Jay Byrd

There are lots of new shows this year at NYRF, but it just hasn't happened that way for me this year.  Then again I have met more people this year then in the other 15 to 20 that I have been going combined.

Jay Byrd

Bugsy

We pretty much just walk around and around (at OHRF it's one big oval, pretty much), running into our friends and socializing.  We really only stop for a show when one happens to be starting while we're passing the stage, and we know we like it.  The only time we really ever made it a point to be at a stage at a certain time was when Albannach was here.
Elvish dragonfly
Castleteer
Bugs'n M'Crack Clan O'Maille
sister of Lady Pegos

DonaCatalina

Before we walk in the gates we agree which show we will try to see that day regardless of anything else. Going every Saturday means we have the luxury of socializing and still get to see some shows.
But yes, we used to see a lot more shows before we got to know so many fellow Faire lovers.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Jay Byrd

I went to NYRF times this year and only saw shows.  Oh does the jam dance at the end of the day count on the way out, because I stayed for that just about every time.  I went with my cousin and her new husband the last day and did we have a great time.  It was his first time ever and hers in a long time.  we were all dressed well, luckily I have enough garb for a few, and even more weapons.  My cousin had a lovely dress, belt with fan and blade, and a beautiful hat with feather.  The guys were dressed similarly to each other, as that is the garb I have and that is how I like to roll.  We each had long bows with quivers stocked, swords and other side weapons.  My cousin Stephie took pics, hopefully I can get her to post some here for me.

We saw 2 1/2 shows that day, they saw more as I was running mead/beer while they watched the joust.  He is from Germany with a powerful thirst and my cousin was designated driver, what a blessing.  Finally a day where I could relax and do what I wanted, as long as I showed them around.  What a great way to end the season.   Thanks to the many people I met this year and the great performers and vendors. 

Jay Byrd

DragonWing

This is only our fourth year, the first was a tester. But this year have socialized a little more. Haven't seen any of the shows. Just the joust the second year and the first and second when Mediaeval Baebes were there. Brent my partner ran into a friend from years ago, who works at MDRF. So we hang with him through his lunch and another cast member. Then a woman who was at the table asked about a box that look like a dice, and one thing led to another and I was involved in a game of liars dice. We are going back tomorrow and the last day. Day of Wrong.  So pretty much we just walk around and take in the atmosphere
Dragon rider and mage,
(aka Vince)