News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How to make rennie friends at faire

Started by Auryn, September 23, 2010, 02:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lady Mercedes

Lol I shall keep my eye out! Oh speaking of faire, I'm in the midst of finishing up my peasant outfit-alls I need is a leathery looking puch that I can loop my belt through & a tin or pewter cup w/a handle that I can also loop my belt through. I'm also thinking of getting some clog type shoes to wear. I never thought I'd ever consider wearing Crocs, however if you have the last issue of Renaissance Magazine & look at the photo in the article about shoes, there's a shoe shown that looks suspiciously familiar...lol
Why be mundane when you can be a Rennie?!

Tipsy Gypsy

Hey Auryn, I understand completely. I'm sort of a "closet introvert", so although I'm actually friendly and sorta goofy once we've met, it's not always easy for me to approach someone I don't know and just start talking to them. And occasionally I've gotten the fisheye, even from one or two people on the forums. That was a little awkward... The R/F pin is helpful though, and I've met several lovely people here just by saying, "I recognize your face from the forums, but I don't always connect names and faces. I'm Tipsy Gypsy." Works well :).
"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

DonaCatalina

My appraoch doesn't work for everyone;
but it amazes my husband, especially when we are vacationing in a different state and someone comes up and says "Did I meet you at _________Faire?"

Anyone and everyone who is some kind of garb is fair game for me, especially when waiting in line to get in. I go up, introduce myself and start asking about their garb or accesories. So from that point we go from show to show and pub to pub running into people we've already met. Then we share a table, bench and some commentary about the faire and the shows. You learn some interesting things if you are open and listen to how people respond to you.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Blue66669

I don't have a problem meeting people at all. It's just getting them to stand next to me for longer than 5 minutes LOLOL!
Blaidd Drwg

crashbot

I've never met anyone from the forums, that I know of anyway.

I'm a bit standoffish, quiet and a little shy. People tend to mistake that for me being snob/jerk/ahole because I am not chatty when I meet people for the first time. Sometimes I can be the aforementioned, but the reality is it just takes me a while to warm up to people. I have never been comfortable walking up to strangers and introducing myself.

That said, if you see me running around over the next few months at TRF, feel free to say hi. I'm a decent fellow once the ice is broken.
Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices. - Voltaire

Blue66669

Hey bot, come find me in Transylvania (near Pirates Cove). I'm the one with the hump LOL!
Blaidd Drwg

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: crashbot on September 28, 2010, 10:33:05 AM

I'm a bit standoffish, quiet and a little shy. People tend to mistake that for me being snob/jerk/ahole because I am not chatty when I meet people for the first time. Sometimes I can be the aforementioned, but the reality is it just takes me a while to warm up to people. I have never been comfortable walking up to strangers and introducing myself.

That said, if you see me running around over the next few months at TRF, feel free to say hi. I'm a decent fellow once the ice is broken.

POW... aftyer the parade... be there.  :D
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

gypsylakat

Yeah I'm shy when it comes to meeting people, I always think I'm going to get that... and you're talking to me why? Look. That and I'd usually rather catch the shows than sit in the pub (yes I know there are shows there too) but really, I can drink at home, I can't watch Hack and Slash at the local dive bar.

Don't worry you're not alone in the loneliness!
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Queen Bonnie

Do give me greeting if you see me at TRF! I LOVE meeting people from the forum! We are all friends here! Be not shy! You will get a hug and a warm welcome.
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

LadyStitch

I'm only going to TRF this year for 1 weekend, and sadly it is the weekend after AHE when everyone will be recouperating, BUT i know if I show up at the POW after the parade I'm sure to find SOME ONE.  Plus it's not like the pink pirate and I are not sociable.  We haven't gotten to the point when we actively seek people out but  we have yet to say no to a hello from other people. 
I will say this the scariest thing this past season at Scarby was the first weekend, showing up at the meet and greet knowing no one but Ele.  10 minutes later we knew most people, and was being tackled by the dirt fairy. :)   Then added the Rendevous to it , and now we know alot more people. 

My grandfather use to say " You will never know just how cold or hot the water is by sticking a toe in.  Just jump in with two feet best way to know. " 
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Auryn

Well I took a big step towards making rennie friends today.
We have a local 16th century society- does a lot of work with the local faire- I just signed up to attend their stage combat workshop this weekend.
Hopefully I will meet some awesome like minded folk
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Snylor

Camping, as mentioned is a great way to meet the real rennies, but be aware that many clans have their designated areas and have had for many years. For me personally, If I see someone over and over each year, it's just a natural to strike up a conversation. If you click, then a potential friendship has started. Everyone in Valhalla met at faire and have become great friends over the past 2 decades. Maybe I should open a "Whilst Thou Be Mine Friend?" booth soon
Valhalla Elder and Keeper of the Bra Staff

Brenna

Quote from: blue66669 on September 28, 2010, 09:50:20 AM
I don't have a problem meeting people at all. It's just getting them to stand next to me for longer than 5 minutes LOLOL!

ROFL! Blue. :P

beckgam462

Quote from: Fraser of Lovatt on September 28, 2010, 10:38:16 AM
Quote from: crashbot on September 28, 2010, 10:33:05 AM

POW... aftyer the parade... be there.  :D
Fraiser, I won't hold the OU thing against you

Is that an Open Inventation at the POW????
in the bilge with the vermin
Procrastination wannabe
Life Time member "Cottonbalers"';  Volens et Potens