News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Very important question!!!!!

Started by Kruzar, June 05, 2008, 05:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kruzar

Not 100% sure this should be posted here...but I have found myself in a huge quandry. 

Recently purchased some wonderful liquor-type stuff....and I come to my newest favorite website and I find that one of the most import Ren related items has gone missing....

Can someone please pleasse please please....post the standard Loki making recipe, or if really inclined renmail me a recipe?  I have the main ingredient stashed away for sole purpose of making some of this wonderful elixir, but can't remember the rest of the parts.

Thank yous for all help in advance.  :)
Gentleman Rogue

anne of oaktower

Thanks for posting that, Kruzar.  If anyone chooses to renmail the recipe, please renmail it to me as well.  I've never had Loki, but have read much about it on the forums.  I'd love to get it started here in Pennsylvania  ;D
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

I want LOKI too! Please rennmail me . ;D
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

DeadBishop

Most who know how to make Loki keep the recipe a highly guarded secret, so if anyone should feel the need to divulge, you should feel very privileged that they shared.   ;)

R/F.com member since 2003

Lady_Claira

If it is a closely guarded secret, then how do people learn how to make it?
You see this training pin? It could be yours. You could learn all about wenches! And that's a promise! - My friend Mike

eloquentXI

As I'm finding on the web- this is one variation of the original "Loki's Revenge". Everyones is different-

One gallon of Water
One 4lb bag of Sugar
One cup of Vanilla Extract
One cup of Almond Extract
1,500 ml (two fifths) of Everclear

1. Mix Water and Sugar together in a large pot over a medium heat. Ensure
that all the Sugar melts.
  2. Allow to cool completely.
  3. Add the Extracts and Everclear.
  4. Bottle and store for at least a month, three or more preferably. This
will produce about two gallons of Loki, so be prepared with enough containers.

Mmmm, I had a sip of Reeses Pieces flavored Loki at Scarby this past season. That was yummy yummy.
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

PurpleDragon

Just to add a bit to eloquentXI's post. 

1.  Best time to brew:  Full Moon within a cast circle (if you are religiously inclined)
2.  Recommended "aging" is 3 months minimum. (can be consumed earlier, but tends to be "raw" tasting)
3.  Just so there's no confusion the ONE CUP = 8 Ounces.
4.  You do not have to heat the mixture (which means less time taken), but it does mean you will be stirring the water and sugar for a LONG time to get all sugar dissolved.  (Best stirred with wooden spoon). 
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

Al-Nimer

OK, I have a question regarding Loki:  Has anyone tried using Splenda, or maybe half sugar/half Splenda?  I'm hypoglycemic and wouldn't be able to tolerate more than a few ounces of the finished brew at one time.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam, Mythbusters

Phelyp, Lord Maydestone

I am going to try this recipe.  Will keep you all posted on how it turns out!
It's always time for Chardonnay!

DuCoeur

If this is what Loki is then, hell, as High school students we stumbled across it just looking for a buzz....

Bottle of everclear (grain alcohol) and a cool aid  mix work just as well.  Goes down down real easy...just don't stand up....you will not be able to feel your legs...ha
I would rather endure a thousand biblical hells then live a life of perpetual inconsequence.

Al-Nimer

Quote from: DuCoeur on August 03, 2008, 05:12:15 AM
If this is what Loki is then, hell, as High school students we stumbled across it just looking for a buzz....

Bottle of everclear (grain alcohol) and a cool aid  mix work just as well.  Goes down down real easy...just don't stand up....you will not be able to feel your legs...ha
Oh yeah!  My friends used to call this 'cowboy kool-aid'  :D

Yrose

Trust us when we say, while it has the same main ingredient it is nothing like the kool aide stuff or trash can punch of our youth!
Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!

PurpleDragon

Quote from: Al-Nimer on August 01, 2008, 11:44:27 PM
OK, I have a question regarding Loki:  Has anyone tried using Splenda, or maybe half sugar/half Splenda?  I'm hypoglycemic and wouldn't be able to tolerate more than a few ounces of the finished brew at one time.

There was someone that did make it with Splenda, so it can be done.  I personally cannot stand that aftertaste one gets with sugar substitutes so I avoid this persons Loki.  Give it a shot, you might be surprised.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

captmarga

Quote from: Al-Nimer on August 01, 2008, 11:44:27 PM

Um, most can't tolerate more than a few ounces at a time, anyway.  Good loki is pretty darn potent.  I personally view it as an after-dinner liquer, which is to be sipped and savored.  You can also add a dash or noggin to coffee, tea, hot chocolate, or coke, but half a bottle at once... well, I feel it should be enjoyed, which after the first couple of shots, flavors are lost...

Just my opinion

Capt Marga
Corp Capt Marga, Dame Den Mother, Scarborough Royal Guard.  Keeper of the Costume Closet.  Artist, Rennie, Etc, etc, etc

Al-Nimer

Thanks Capt. Marga & PurpleDragon!  I'll take your comments into consideration, if I ever get a chance to brew.

DeadBishop

Just for reference, be aware that the above recipe will make several gallons, however you will get a "weakened and diluted" version of loki from this recipe.  My advice; start with a much smaller batch and experiment. 

R/F.com member since 2003

Yrose

I've never made that much either. The starter recipe I got makes about 1 and 1/2 gallons. Plenty strong though.
Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!

RenRobin

I had Yrose's loki at AARG, it is fabulous.  I have also had Cowboy Koolaid, by no stretch of the imagination is it the same thing, maybe the same effect  ;D.  Loki is so much better! :o :o
Loki-terr (in training)

Ozium

I have made that recipe a few times, traditional loki i guess it would be called. Next
batch i am going to split up and play with, thinking strawberrys n cream, peaches n cream
choco mint and maybe creamsicle. To many options just need to play with the ingredients
till it tastes right i guess.

Introduced loki to a few folks at Sterling this season, i think they may be addicted now.
And it goes wonderfull in the mornings double capp.
Home Faire:Sterling
Clan O'Doinn-Irish Penny Brigade (New York)
Carpenter of the good ship Medusa.
Foktop Knight
Clan Vogdis