News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Tipping

Started by Amyj, June 05, 2008, 06:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aerial angels

The power of the hat line is astonishing.

We changed our hat line this year in June because we were performing on the street in London, and it was a different crowd that needed to hear a different line in order to give.

When we came back to the renfest circuit, our hats were unusually low the first day and a half (we track this information, so it wasn't just a guess).  We changed our hat line back to our original renfest line and hats doubled.

Doubled.

Same show.
Same acts.
Same jokes.
Same performers.

And FOUR SENTENCES were the difference between ones and fives.

So, Sarai, if you don't have a good hat line, start working on one!  Possibly enlisting the help of other performers who have been doing this longer. Because part of getting money is having a good show, and part of it is indeed asking for it in the right way (true for contracting for your daily rate as well as for hat).

We did sit down and analyze what we think makes a good hat line, and we think these are the elements:

- something that says "we're professionals/this is our real job."  We're not students, amateurs, part-timers, hobbyists or pretending, this is it.
- a recommendation for an amount to appropriately give. I had a patron come up to me in Ohio at a street fair who said he was glad we had mentioned a specific amount in our hat line - he had wanted to give $10 "but I didn't know if that was OK, and I didn't want to be the only chump giving too much". Comparisons work well here.
- A joke. Something that makes the audience laugh - without blowing off or undercutting your serious request for money.
- A genuine thank you. Expressing your appreciation for the audience's presence, as well as their money.

Most successful hat lines I have seen change the mood of the show or break out of character - that lets the audience know that you are serious, this is not a joke. The fact that you (hopefully) are just as serious about thanking them as you are about asking for their money makes this dramatically ok as well as strategically good.

My two cents. Or rather, my 50% of your future hat pass worth of experience and hard times, given to you as a free service :)

Amelia

While watching - and tipping - the stage acts, don't forget about us street performers too!!  If we have a dollar bill pinned on our outfit somewhere, and/or a basket (or hat) out with money, and we made you smile in some way, please let us know too, just like Terry pointed out.  I can't tell you the number of times that people have told me that they weren't aware that the lane acts or street performers could take tips (no-hat shows being the exception for us too), and there are some of us who can.  Again, look for the signs that the person is able to take tips - a dollar bill attached to our person somehow.  Often times, those of us in the street are paid less money than the stage acts, and rarely have merchandise to sell.  So while we don't live on our tips, they DO help us see our way paycheck to paycheck.

Thank you, and look forward to seeing you all in the streets!!

Lady Renee Buchanan

One of the most entertaining acts, in my opinion, in the way they ask for tips is Molly & the Tinker.  They make a couple of jokes -- "if you like us, please leave a little something in the hat.  If you don't like us, leave a lot & we won't come back."  This makes the audience laugh.

Then, Molly takes her bodhran and a tambourine.  The bodhran is "tips for Molly."  Then she holds up the little bitty tamborine and says "tips for Tinker."  Of course, everyone cracks up when she does this.  Then she walks around holding both, and the audience puts money in one or the other.  When they put it in Tinker's, she rolls her eyes and says "oh no, no, put it in Molly's."

Everyone has such a good time watching her, that it becomes fun and a means of audience participation.  It only takes a couple of minutes, so people don't feel like too much of the show is spent asking for tips.

They are real professionals and one of our favorite acts at Bristol.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Rolando Darkjester

One of the best hat lines I've heard is from New Orleans street performers ( Who don't get paid by a managment, cause well.. they pay the city for the right to perform)

"Ladies and gentlemen, I hope I've(we've) entertained you today, If so I need your help. This is what I do for a living, And I don't get paid very much to do it, So if I've entertained you, please.. dig deep into your pocket, take your wallet, remove a five, or maybe even a ten dollar bill.. Put that in your pocket and put your wallet right here in my basket"   

The audience knew it was a joke, and laughed, so he got them on an emotional level, plus he'd already predisposed them to the thought of a 'five or ten dollar' bill.

Cormac

I learned something new today reading through some of the older post on this thread.  I was not savy to the fact that lane acts could except tips.  I will be much more aware the next time at the faire and act accordingly when I see a bill pinned or placed on someone.

It is a poor act indeed that doesn't recieve some form of tip from me.  I leave from $1-$5 depending on how well I enjoyed the show and whether I will be back that day or not.  If I go to a show twice I will always leave a tip both times.  I figure on 5 or 6 shows a day so that works out to $30 on the high side.  I also tip those serving me beverages or food along with anyone that is especially helpful when I am shopping.  Case in point was the wonderful lady that helped my wife with a bodice.  All told I try to budget about $50 for tips.  I am not rich by any means so I just take the time and lay away for it.

justsomeguytn

What about performers playing royalty?  Do they ever get tips?

Terry Griffith

Quote from: justsomeguytn on October 15, 2008, 11:52:24 AM
What about performers playing royalty?  Do they ever get tips?
My wife is on cast as royalty.  She said that it's not uncommon for vendors to "gift"  the members of the royal court and playtrons have given bits of jewelry to wear and occasionally a rose but if someone came up and shoved a dollar in her cleavage it would make her very uncomfortable.  Not to mention her guard slicing off a hand

However, as a side story, I wrote a song to be performed by the King at pub sing.  We were in the lanes one day running over the song and some pirate put a hat down in front of him.  Within seconds, the Queen and several other people started throwing in coins.  It turned into a hilarious bit.

On the other hand, I know a cast member (not royalty) who sang in the lanes and had a tip basket out and when the PTB found out, they were told not to come back next year.

It does seem rather unfair to tip a masquer but not an actor but it just isn't done.  Perhaps it would be different if the royal cast did a stage show and had a communal hat.  Otherwise, it would be destroying the picture that they are trying to create to have a hat line after attending a joust or doing a bit in the lanes. 
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

aerial angels

And...

1) Not everyone is contracted to be able to pass the hat. If a performer puts down a tip basket and they aren't supposed to, that's bad for the performers who have contracted for hat pass privileges.

2) It's nice to have SOMETHING included in the patrons' ticket price. Because when you pay to get in, buy food, buy drink, buy crafts, and then you're also expected to tip everyone you come into contact with, what did you buy in the way in? Really expensive parking?

It truly starts to feel like begging when everyone has their hand out. And it hurts the merchants, too, because people get sick of pulling out their wallet.

Bear in mind, 90% of the street cast at a faire is local and amateur. This is not a statement on their quality, but an observation that they live there and are not making a living as an actor. The 10% who are professionals have negotiated an appropriate fee, knowing in advance whether or not they are passing the hat, and what their on-the-road expenses are like. So it's not really "unfair" to allow some to pass the hat and others not.

justsomeguytn

This time at the Carolina Faire I brought one gift for Lady Quackston, a little light up rubber duck. I'll have to remember to bring lots of gifts for royalty next time.  I brought lots of golden dollar coins to tip the performers but I wished I had brought some more.  I've done some jewelry work (mainly as a hobby) and I had a bunch of silk pouches laying around.  I put a bunch of nickels in one of those and gave it to the Nickle Shakespeare Girls.  I think that might be the best way to handle the gifts next time, have each in a small pouch.  That way if the performer is busy they can just take it and go.  I'll just have to think of a good way to carry the pouches and mark them so the right person gets the right gift.

jcbanner

Quote from: aerial angels on October 18, 2008, 04:11:29 PM

Bear in mind, 90% of the street cast at a faire is local and amateur. This is not a statement on their quality, but an observation that they live there and are not making a living as an actor. The 10% who are professionals have negotiated an appropriate fee, knowing in advance whether or not they are passing the hat, and what their on-the-road expenses are like. So it's not really "unfair" to allow some to pass the hat and others not.

I cant say I agree with the idea of it not being "unfair"
Not the idea itself, just your reasoning.  I'm only speaking from the reference of working faires as a volunteer, I've worked several as a volunteer, but "volunteer" does Not mean "Not professional".  as cast, I have my own expenses, such as gas, or maintenance for the extra few thousand miles a year I put on my car. The hundreds of hours I'll spend in classes, doing research, keeping the site in good repair and working on new construction to better the site, (that includes the stages) or the time and money put into purchasing and/or making garb to strict guidelines, time spent devolving a character and going to rehearsals.  Think I'm exaggerating anything?  If anything, I'm understating.  I volunteer my time, knowledge, skills, and often what little money I have to make sure the show is a good one.  so yes, I'm a volunteer, but don't make the blind assumption that I'm not a professional.

The difference between me and you,  the volunteer and the "professional" is that I don't ask for a paycheck in return.  I'll still drop money in the hat if I enjoyed the show, and I'll never ask for a tip, thats not why I'm here, but if someone comes up to me impressed with what they see me doing, why should I have to turn them away?

aerial angels

"Volunteer" DOES mean "not professional."  That's the definition of what a volunteer IS. It's someone who is choosing to give or donate their efforts rather than charging a fee. Note that I specifically stated, "this is not a statement on their quality."

Many volunteer cast members are just as good, or even better than some professional cast members. I'm using those words to designate "making a living" from "not making a living" as a festival worker.

Many volunteers put in more hours than the professionals, who I'm sure you realize have those exact same expenses you list. The difference is this:

The volunteers choose to be there for free. (or for benefits like free tickets, a stipend, a great social life, a chance to share their knowledge, the fun of acting, whatever floats their personal boat).

The professionals choose to be there for pay, plus whatever benefits they can negotiate.

So why should you have to turn away someone who wants to tip you?

1) As I mentioned, it hurts the professionals and the merchants when everyone has their hand out. Patrons get tired of pulling out their wallets. There is a saturation point beyond which people are sick of being asked for money. Volunteers have agreed to be there for free, and the fair is set up to reward the professionals with money and the volunteers with benefits as described above.

2) As I mentioned, if you don't contract for hat pass, you don't get to pass the hat. It's a little like saying, "Well, I know my grocery store says people aren't supposed to tip us, because car carry-out is included, and even though my boss told me not to, people want to give me money so I should get to take it." Um, no. Your boss said so. You signed a contract (or made a verbal agreement) that you wouldn't do it. When you accept money anyway, you break your legally binding contract, or you break your word, or both. Up to you whether your integrity is worth more than a dollar.

3) It hurts the festival. When people start getting the idea that they have to tip everyone they come into contact with, they resist interacting, they pull back, they don't want to get involved. Every improvisation starts to feel like shilling for a buck. Every picture taken with someone's child looks like an open hand. The faire becomes a carnival designed to shake down the rubes for every dime instead of a place where some magic actually may happen in among the commerce.

I'm not a big hat pass fan at renfaires, even though I make a substantially better living because of it. I don't like it when people have to pay to get in and then tip the entertainment. Limiting hat pass to people - whether professional or volunteer - who have negotiated and contracted for it is the best compromise we can get right now.

On a larger philosophical note, it's not your hours, your knowledge, your talent or your ability that makes someone a professional. It's deciding you want to be paid, and being willing to refuse to do the job unless you're paid (there are a fair number of unemployed professionals). You might be the greatest physicist in the world, but if you're splitting the atom in your basement between shifts at the widget factory, what you are is a talented amateur. But hey - professionals built the Titanic. Amateurs built the Ark. 

Malkavian

As an outside observer I have to say I've found reading this fascinating.  Just yesterday I actually was wondering (while at the CRF) if the royalty accepted/received tips, but wrote it off as "far too awkward even if it is acceptable" so good to see that settled by someone more experienced than I am.

I'm curious about any opinions of tipping vs buying merchandise that anyone might have.  Personally I'm happy to purchase a CD or similar for an act I enjoyed, although I realize the performer doesn't take home much (any?) of the sticker price in that case.  Offhand I would have thought a performer would be glad to sell as many disks/tshirts/whatever as possible, although considering overhead costs and so forth I suppose that might not be.

Terry Griffith

Quote from: Malkavian on October 27, 2008, 07:30:09 PM

I'm curious about any opinions of tipping vs buying merchandise that anyone might have.  Personally I'm happy to purchase a CD or similar for an act I enjoyed, although I realize the performer doesn't take home much (any?) of the sticker price in that case. 

Malkavian, everyone's situation is a little different.  I can only speak for myself and I'm sure those that have a different deal with their merchandise will speak up if they feel differently.  The more CDs I can sell, the bigger percentage I make.  From a profit and loss point of view, my individual tips aren't as much as I can profit from the sale of one CD.  Since I am a single musical act, most of my tips are in the 2 to 5 dollar range.  My profit from the sale of one CD is more than that plus I have the satisfaction of knowing you will be enjoying my music and playing it for others who may enjoy it enough to purchase one.  On top of that is the long range possibility that you will enjoy it enough to purchase follow up recordings.  If you are trying to decide between a $5 tip and buying a $14 CD, I would rather you bought the CD but obviously you will be spending more money and getting something that you will enjoy many times more than my half hour set.  Some other entertainers may feel differently because their CDs are newer and they make less profit for each one but the other benefits I mentioned are still there.  At the end of the day, my hat money will be spent for expenses but my CDs will be enjoyed long after I'm gone.

Do what gives you pleasure.  Contributing to the hat is showing us your appreciation.  Buying a CD returns the gesture for many years.  I live for the day when someone posts to the "What are you listening to" thread with my name and CD title.  I've sold a lot of them so someone must be listening.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

jcbanner

Quote from: aerial angels on October 21, 2008, 06:50:14 PM
"Volunteer" DOES mean "not professional." That's the definition of what a volunteer IS.

Someone should inform Websters Dictionary then, they seemed to have missed that part
http://mw1.meriam-webster.com/dictionary/volunteer
Main Entry:
    1vol·un·teer Listen to the pronunciation of 1volunteer
Pronunciation:
    \?vä-l?n-?tir\
Function:
    noun

1: a person who voluntarily undertakes or expresses a willingness to undertake a service: as a: one who enters into military service voluntarily b (1): one who renders a service or takes part in a transaction while having no legal concern or interest (2): one who receives a conveyance or transfer of property without giving valuable consideration

It's someone who is choosing to give or donate their efforts rather than charging a fee.
That part I fully agree with. (So does Webster's)  Being a volunteer does not exclude anyone from being a professional, both amateurs and professionals alike may volunteer their time with an organization.

Quote from: aerial angels on October 21, 2008, 06:50:14 PM
On a larger philosophical note, it's not your hours, your knowledge, your talent or your ability that makes someone a professional.

thats EXACTLY what determines a professional. If you don't have the skills, I don't care how much you are getting paid, your an amateur who receives a check.
also note the last line of Webster's definition of professional:
Quote3: following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>

but this topic is about tipping, not debating if a volunteer can be a professional, we should start a new topic if you want to take it farther.

Back to Tips!

I'd like to note that I also agree with you that people walking around faire asking for tips ruins the event and can be harmful to the performers. But that does not have so much an effect on merchants since that is a different market, so their effects on each other are limited. ( one could even argue that the merchants are even more detrimental to performers then the other way around "I'd leave a tip, but I just spent $95 on a new sword, and $25 for lunch, I only have enough left to get dinner on the way home")

But, in my first post, I never said volunteers should be allowed to ask for tips, I said that if someone wants to give them a tip, they shouldn't be required to turn them away.

I don't mind giving tips at the end of a performance, I consider that a thank you for a job well done.  I also enjoy lane acts that perform continuously, but go through special routine when give a tip, I'll tip them,  but I'm not very fond of the act in response for a tip type acts; those are teh ones where I feel like money is being demanded from me or other viewers. Nothing kills the experience with performers more and I'd rather save my tip for someone I feel earned it, and if that is a volunteer that has a very impressive gig going, then so be it.

nliedel

At MiRF your contract has to state you can have a hat pass. Most faires are like this. Good, bad or not, it's the way it is. My basket is on the ground before me, but I ain't exactly getting rich on tips. Gas money, which is WONDERFUL and I am beyond grateful for is nice. However musical acts don't get the really good tips, unless you're in a really good pub, and that's fine with me. I do faire cause it's in my blood. A couple of bucks is nice gravy.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor