News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

question on boning.

Started by Adriana Rose, September 30, 2010, 09:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriana Rose

I am going through the stuff that I have had stored for 5 years and to my irritation some of my sewing stuff got some water damage including a roll of steel boning. It has a little bit of rust on it and I pulled the casing off the metal and it looks fine but I want to see what you guys would do with this?

CenturiesSewing

I'd sand off the rust if it hasn't caused pitting and then reseal it with enamel.

Kate XXXXXX

Me too.  Car paint or Humbrol would do for touch-ups of odd patches.  Or Hammerite!

Jay Byrd

For rust we used to use naval jelly.  Any car parts store, Home Depot, or Lowes should have it.

Jay Byrd 

I was going to leave a stupid innuendo message, but then found I could actually be helpful.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Good ideas. Why throw away perfectly good boning steel?
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

LadyShadow

Quote from: Jay Byrd on October 01, 2010, 02:57:41 AM
I was going to leave a stupid innuendo message, but then found I could actually be helpful.

Dont you just hate those moments   ::)
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

DonaCatalina

There are any number of rust removal products available in your local Lowe's store.
After the boning is cleaned and cust to size, you might consider coating it in Plasti Dip. This will keep it from rusting forever.  ;)
There used to be a SCA website called the Customer's Guide to Home Depot that provided helpful information about things like this.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Adriana Rose

I used plastidip on the ends to keep it from rubbing though the bodice that i used it in.. And for the record that stuff doesnt like to be stored for 5 years either. :-\

Thank you guys it made me twitch at the thought of tossing that much boning :D