News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Fabric Stores in Houston Area

Started by Lady D1, September 28, 2010, 09:31:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady D1

Unfortunately, the new costumes we ordered don't fit correctly and we are returning them.  I only wish I had found this forum prior to ordering them.  Regardless, I have decided to make our new costumes.  I did make my original costume back in the 90's based upon the costume I rented.  I used it as a pattern and it worked fairly well and has held up well over the years.  I have a sewing machine and a friend who is a great seamstress to help out if I get stuck.   

So my question is for recommendations on good places in Houston and the surrounding area to get fabric, trimming and notions?  We want to move up in station some, so am thinking velvet and brocade.  I am going to try to be as accurate as possible but might deviate some. I might not finish for this season but I am motivated to try. 

Thanks!!!
Don't delay, taste a tart today!

LadyShadow

Of course you can find JoAnn's and Hancocks.  There are several others around the Houston area.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Blue66669

There's a place called Glick Textiles off of 59 between Kirby and Shepherd. I hear they have good stuff. Now, if you want to be able to get ANYTHING, head to High Fashion Fabrics on Elgin in Midtown. THEY HAVE EVERYTHING!
Blaidd Drwg

Lady D1

Quote from: blue66669 on September 28, 2010, 10:37:11 AM
There's a place called Glick Textiles off of 59 between Kirby and Shepherd. I hear they have good stuff. Now, if you want to be able to get ANYTHING, head to High Fashion Fabrics on Elgin in Midtown. THEY HAVE EVERYTHING!

Thanks - as I was looking for more that just the standard stuff!

Aiacha

Though be warned, High Fashion can be pricey.  Also, Denver Fabrics is having a sale on velvet, among other things, right now...

http://www.denverfabrics.com/

Lady D1

Quote from: Aiacha on September 28, 2010, 04:02:41 PM
Though be warned, High Fashion can be pricey.  Also, Denver Fabrics is having a sale on velvet, among other things, right now...

http://www.denverfabrics.com/

Thank you ma'am.

Tipsy Gypsy

I asked Angela where she buys her costuming fabrics- she usually starts with Hancock in Cy Fair at 1960/Jones Rd. or JoAnn's at 1960/249. She also suggested High Fashions downtown for the hard-to-find stuff. Good luck in your quest, pilgrim!
"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

Lady D1

Quote from: Tipsy Gypsy on September 28, 2010, 08:46:43 PM
I asked Angela where she buys her costuming fabrics- she usually starts with Hancock in Cy Fair at 1960/Jones Rd. or JoAnn's at 1960/249. She also suggested High Fashions downtown for the hard-to-find stuff. Good luck in your quest, pilgrim!

Thanks you D!  Hope to see you on Friday nite!!!  Great suggestions and both are so very close!  Now I am thinking we moved close to Angela as well. 

shelly1978us

I got most of my fabrics at Hobby Lobby.  True they do not have a large selection, but they had lots of velvets and brocades.

I found them to be much cheaper than other places, plus you might get a 40% off one item coupon which helped me on an expensive fabric.

There is one in Conroe and one off Sawdust in The Woodlands.

dreamfarie

We drive two hours to Houston to buy fabric at Universal Fabric Center.  They have very lovely things and a lot of stage costumers go there.  They are located in Rice Village.

http://www.universal-fabric.com/

Pascal

Quote from: blue66669 on September 28, 2010, 10:37:11 AM
There's a place called Glick Textiles off of 59 between Kirby and Shepherd. I hear they have good stuff.

Glick's does have good stuff -- especially trim and such.  They're kind of like a wholesale place that sells retail -- if you're looking for bolts of fabric, this is a good place.    They're on the 59 feeder on the south side of 59 -- heading east, take the Kirby exit and stay on the feeder past the light at Kirby.

I bought several bolts of poly-blend to make a tent and the blue-and-yellow vardo I used at Sherwood Forest Faire -- great prices!

Best of all, it's easy to get to High Fashion Fabrics once you leave Glick's!  Just a short hop east on 59, then head downtown on Louisiana.  High Fashion is a block or two west of the big HCC building.