News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Tudor Portraits

Started by DonaCatalina, October 04, 2010, 02:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaCatalina

This painting is identified as Mary Tudor, Queen of France.

Her clothing actually looks more like a member of the Spanish / Imperial Court.
Does anyone know the exact provenance of this painting?
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

The painting below was labeled as Margaret Tudor.

However, compare it to the painting Jean Clouet below and you will see why I have my doubts.

The paiting below has been authenticated as Margaret Tudor.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

This one is identified as a portrait of Elizabeth done in 1550 by Levina Teerlinc.
Though not labeled, the artist rendered miniatures for a very small circle of royal females. Mary, Elizabeth and the three Grey sisters. Since Mary would have been too old in 1550, and the grey sisters too young, most scholars agree that this is Elizabeth.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

Elizabeth of York, Wife of Henry VII of England and mother of Henry VIII.
With her pale complexion and golden hair, Henry VIII was said to resemble her more than his father. If the labeling on the painting wasn't enough to identify her, she holds a white rose, the symbol of the house of York
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

A rather gruesome side of Renaissance art. The effigy below is in Westminster Abbey and was modelled on the death mask of Henry VII. In this effigy you can see very little resemblance to his slightly more famous son.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Rowan MacD

I have always thought the effigy of Henry VII to be creepily lifelike. 
  Another gorgeous, though fake, mask was the one of Mary Stuart. (the colored one) Too perfect in every way, but lovely to look upon.  Though there is another one: 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/5236154.stm

This one seems too young looking for a queen that died at the age of 44, after enduring a long and stressful imprisonment. Contemporary accounts of her last years mentioned that she was becoming a bit haggard looking, though none of that shows on the wax cast of her face.
  Knowing the Scots, who do love to romanticize things, the mask, if genuine, might have been prettied up some.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Anna Iram

Beautiful and kind of spookey! I agree the wax cast couldn't be how the lady looked at her death. Such a sad life.

....but fascinating! I've learned so much just by reading how all these lives tied into one another, both in this thread and in the other similar threads. What a time to live.

So, to contine along this family line:

Mary of Guise. Mother of Mary Stuart. At the center of the Franco Scottish alliance against England, she was wooed, and ran from Henry VIII and her daughter became the focus of the Rough Wooing war launched by Henry when Mary danced around a promise to marry her daughter Mary Stuart to Henry's son, preferring a marriage and alliance with France. Not to mention her part in the political situation between the Catholics and the Protestants. Better than any soap opera these peoples lives...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_of_Guise

DonaCatalina

Mary Tudor, the oldest daughter of Henry VIII.
In this miniature you can see the red gold hair that she inherited from both parents.

This was painted by Lucas Hornebolte, c.1525-29.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Welsh Wench

The portrait above by Teerlinc looks alot like it could have been a Hornbolte but Teerlinc favored tiny arms in her female subjects.
Almost like a teacup handle.
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

DonaCatalina

These two portraits by William Scrots shows King Edward VI dressed in a different fashion. The better known portraits were done quickly after he came to the throne and was dressed like a miniature Henry VIII, though he lacked the physique for his father's style of clothes.

Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Don_Juan_deCordoba

This one of Henry VIII is not very well known. It was done by a Flemish school and probably was not painted from life, more likely copied from a miniature.
Marques de Trives

operafantomet

Quote from: DonaCatalina on October 12, 2010, 09:03:02 AM
A rather gruesome side of Renaissance art. The effigy below is in Westminster Abbey and was modelled on the death mask of Henry VII. In this effigy you can see very little resemblance to his slightly more famous son.
http://www.paradoxplace.com/Photo%20Pages/UK/Britain_South_and_West/Westminster_Abbey/Westminster_Images/Henry-VII-BAR.jpg

I think their eyes looks a lot alike. Nose too. But they probably had a greater resemblance before Henry VIII gained all that weight. He was described as a good looking and of nice figure when he was young.

DonaCatalina

Prince Arthur Tudor,
The one who doesn't get mentioned much.
Christopher Guy, Worcester Cathedral's archaeologist, said there were puzzling questions about Arthur's death and why a man reputed to be in poor health was sent to the remoteness of Ludlow, far from the London physicians. Peter Vaughan, of the Worcester Prince Arthur Committee, which researched the funeral for a re-enactment earlier in the month, believes there is evidence of foul play. He said: "He wasn't a strong character, unlike his younger brother. Could it be that his father was strong enough to see that the best interests of the Tudors were to be served by Henry Duke of York, rather than Arthur?"

However, historians such as Dr David Starkey and Dr Julian Litten have dismissed suggestions of neglect or murder. "There is nothing fishy about his demise", said Dr Litten. "He was in Ludlow as an Ambassador for a King setting up a new dynasty". Dr Litten believes the real mystery over Arthur's death was the nature of the disease, and whether it was a genetic condition that was also passed to Edward VI.

Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

This portrait of Mary I may have been the one sent to Phillip that made her appear younger than she actually was.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

Henry FitzRoy, 1st Duke of Richmond and Somerset, 1st Earl of Nottingham (15 June 1519 – 23 July 1536) was the son of King Henry VIII of England and his teenage mistress, Elizabeth Blount, the only illegitimate offspring that Henry acknowledged.
There is some question wether this portrait is Edward VI or Henry Fitzroy. The style of clothing suggests the latter.

Definitely Henry Fitzroy below shortly before his death.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

In this portait of a young Henry VIII by an unknown artist, he does resemble his father a lot more than in later portraits.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

Mary Tudor, daughter of Henry VIII, looking much younger than most of her portraits.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

Elizabeth of York, part of a double portrait with her husband Henry VII

Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

Margaret Tudor with her Husband James IV of Scotland, showing her brilliant reddish-gold hair.
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess