News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Gilroy, CA music practice areas?

Started by Dance_Dance, October 04, 2010, 04:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dance_Dance

So, I recently brought up my bodhran from my mom's and wanted to start practicing again (or, rather, actually practice, since I didn't do much with it when I was at my mom's -_-; ).  But then I found out that the cats that I live with it hate the bodhran, along with my several other intrustments and any loud noises.  :(

Instead of giving them nervous complexes, I was wondering if there was any place in or around Gilroy that would be a good place to practice?  Are there any groups of people who get together to practice?  I've tried looking on line but I'm not sure what I need to be searching for...

chainshot

How about for now at Northern Faire?  It would make sense since it is in Gilroy/Hollister and I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

Dance_Dance

It costs $30 to get in for one weekend and honestly, when I'm there, I'm too busy watching the shows and checking out the merchindise to worry about practicing.  Although, you're right, they wouldn't mind if I sat down somewhere and practiced.  People would ask me if I was selling CDs or in a show, but they wouldn't really mind.

Dance_Dance

Hey, if anyone's interested and in the area, I did some more digging and found this awesome place in Morgan Hill. It's called the Music Tree, right on Monterey. The place sells pretty typical intrustments - I think the most exotic thing I saw in there was bongo drums - but they have a bunch of sound proof rooms that they rent out for lessons and practices.  I talked with the owner and he's letting me use their large band practice room at times when no one's already reserved it for free. It's an out reach community sort of thing, if people see things happening, they'll be more inclined to stick around/do things/buy stuff possibly.

Oh, and there's a drum circle every Monday night. :)