News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

barbarian face paint/makeup

Started by Tipsy Gypsy, October 05, 2010, 11:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tipsy Gypsy

Ok, so...looks like I'll be going barbarian all or most of TRF this season. I'm looking for some interesting but pretty simple ideas for makeup, or facepaint accents near the eyes or across the face. Given my *ahem* "limited" artistic abilities, and the expectation that I'll probably sweat plenty, I don't want to overdo it. Any photo ideas or links I could use for inspiration?

Gramercy!
"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

Adriana Rose

The barbarian hoard that comes to CORF really doesnt wear face paint, the one lady that sticks out in my mind doesnt wear face paint either..

But here is some ideas that might work.

Watch King Arthur - there is some cool face paint on the gauls in the last battle

Lady D1

What about some temporary tattoos? 

If you found some arm bands, you could cut them to size.

Don't delay, taste a tart today!

Elennare

Don't really have any ideas for style right now, but I might see if I can come up with anything for you.

If you want to avoid issues with running face paint, here's what you do.  Buy a good quality paint (something like Ben Nye, or another professional brand that I am blanking on names of now...) and stay FAR away from the cheap halloween kits and whatnot.  That stuff will NEVER set, no matter what you do, and it will smudge and run all day.  If you're doing a very small design, you could also use liquid eyeliner to draw it on.  Once you've got your design done, take a big makeup brush or puff and powder the HECK out of the paint/eyeliner.  Baby powder or powdered foundation work just as well as the fancy "setting powders" you can buy.  Brush off the extra, and you're good to go for the day.  Just don't scratch-powder won't hold it on against being scraped off.  You can poke/tap at an itch, though, without worrying about messing up your paint.

Have fun! :)
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I second Ben Nye makeup products. They were designed for the film industry back in the 1930's. Ben Nye costs way more than what one will find at WAL*MART or any other discount store. The quality outlasts the price.

I have had my Vampire makeup kit , brushes, and other makeup needs for 6 years now.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

LadyFae

LOL, sorry, when I read this the first thing I thought of is a blue handprint across the face!  I've seen men pull it off and look fine but on a woman it may just look like you've been slapped.  Not quite the look you'd want, I think!  I'm always a fan of swirls and dots, but not matchy matchy on both sides...  Not sure if those would be too "pretty" for a barbarian, though.  Yeah, sorry, I'm not all that much help!  Usually when it comes to things like this I think less is more.  Simple, heavy lines as opposed to thin, intricate patterns.
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Tipsy Gypsy

Would Ben Nye be available at Sally Beauty Supply, by chance? That's about the best this town has to offer other than seasonal Halloween shops and WallyWorld.

"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

Shandi

you can only get the pro face painting stuff from costume shops or online,
This shop has the fastest shipping EVER and the prices are good. I recommend the DFX ess. pallet
http://www.facepaintforumshop.com/servlet/the-DFX-Palettes/Categories
"Chase the Morning" "Yield for Nothing!"

Lady D1

Quote from: Tipsy Gypsy on October 06, 2010, 06:24:42 AM
Would Ben Nye be available at Sally Beauty Supply, by chance? That's about the best this town has to offer other than seasonal Halloween shops and WallyWorld.

I know you can get it at Frankels or Southern Importer in H Town. Danny's on 2920 in Spring also carries it.  Or online.

Tipsy Gypsy

Frankels is where A gets her theater makeup; I've heard her mention it. Unfortunately, Houston is a 3 hour round trip for me, so I don't go when I don't have to! :D

I should've been thinking about this sooner, but noooo, not me. Oh well, it's not a "have to" thing, just an idea that sounds fun. If I can't find something locally, it's not the end of the world.

Thanks for all the great ideas and input everybody! If I don't do it this year, I've got a great start on next season :)

Aiacha

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on October 05, 2010, 10:47:51 PM
I second Ben Nye makeup products. They were designed for the film industry back in the 1930's. Ben Nye costs way more than what one will find at WAL*MART or any other discount store. The quality outlasts the price.
I have had my Vampire makeup kit , brushes, and other makeup needs for 6 years now.

I still use the makeup from my basic makeup kit I got in college for my Stage Makeup class, oh, 15 years ago!  Glad I held onto it; it's great for doing my Magenta makeup, though I need a lighter purple.

[/random posting to follow the thread...]

Lady D1

Quote from: Tipsy Gypsy on October 06, 2010, 08:02:31 AM
Frankels is where A gets her theater makeup; I've heard her mention it. Unfortunately, Houston is a 3 hour round trip for me, so I don't go when I don't have to! :D

I should've been thinking about this sooner, but noooo, not me. Oh well, it's not a "have to" thing, just an idea that sounds fun. If I can't find something locally, it's not the end of the world.

Thanks for all the great ideas and input everybody! If I don't do it this year, I've got a great start on next season :)

D - I can go by Danny's for you as it is not too far from my house.  Probably can't get there before this weekend but for sure could get there by next.  Let me know what you want. 

Tipsy Gypsy

Hey, that would be great! Let me see what I can find here in B/CS, and if I don't have any luck, I'll give you a shout. Much obliged!

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Quote from: Tipsy Gypsy on October 06, 2010, 06:24:42 AM

Ben Nye makeup products for Plays, film, etc., are available at certified Ben Nye dealers. Such as Costume Shops or at their main site.  Try this for starters. Halloween Express would not be carrying Ben Nye.

http://www.stagemakeuponline.com/ or

http://www.bennyemakeup.com/
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Elennare

I have on very rare occasions seen the good makeup at both the seasonal halloween shops, and party city.  They'd be worth checking, at least.  In Seattle, there's a store called "Party @ Display and Costume" that has one of the best in-store stocks of theatrical makeup I think I've seen.  Not sure if they've got a location near you, but maybe there's something like that around?

Kryolan and Mehron are 2 other good brands of makeup.  Woochie might be decent as well, but I'm not sure about them.  Haven't used their makeup, only prostetics.

My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

shadowcat546

how  about the movie.....Dragonheart (1996, dennis quaid), which had gauls/ barbarians in it . ---_____--Shannon
Shannon, ..The Colonial Peddler --see Webshots shadowcat546 (so.-east Mich.) Goods for Sale