News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Dyeing home decorator fabric question

Started by Alessandra, October 10, 2010, 07:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alessandra

Is it possible to dye a plaid home decorator fabric a solid color ?   If so .. what kind of dye should I use ?

Cilean

Well you can try Dharma Trading Company - www.dharmatrading.com
and look for the Porcion dyes and the thing is to make sure you dye something darker than the darkest plaid but I don't know if this will actually work. I have tried to dye plaid and not matter what it came through.

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

Alessandra

thanks, Cilean.  I don't mind if the plaid comes through a bit - I made hubby a monk costume a few years ago out of the plaid - last minute type thing and he did stand out a faire ..  buuuut, I'd like it to be more 'normal'.  lol

Adriana Rose

Id say use the dye from Dharma its a little stronger than the stuff you get in stores

gem

It's going to depend on what it's made of. If it's a synthetic, like nylon, it probably won't take the dye at all. And I believe that different types of natural fibers (cellulose fibers like cotton vs protein [?] fibers like silk or wool) require different types of dyes.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I have a cotton brocade fabric I bought 6 years ago in a diamond design that will make a perfect overskirt for my upcoming, Queen of Hearts ensemble. The fabric is a cream color and I will need to die it a Tan. I did a scrap using day old coffee and some distilled vinegar. Seemed to work okay.

But a better form of dying that would be permanent would be better.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

DonaCatalina

I use both Dharma trading dyes and rit dyes. I use the same instruction from Dharma's website for both types. Be aware though, that the higher the rayon/poly content, the less efftive the Rit Dye will be.
Fabrics with a higher cotton content take dyer much better.
Patterned fabric will come up patterned but in different shades of your dye.
My two-toned chocolate Spanish Imperial gown started out as white fabric, the rayon and the cotton dyed different shades.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Alessandra

I have ordered some Dharma dye.  The fabric is a wool .. maybe a mix.  Honestly, I'm just not sure.  I got it from Hobby Lobby a few years ago.  I tried the RitDye without much success.  So, Dharma gets round 2! 

Thanks so much for all the helpful information!