News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Celiac - What to eat?

Started by Elistariel, October 12, 2010, 04:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elistariel

Okay so I'll be going to the Festival this year as a gift from a friend. We haven't been in years, but when we did go it was before I knew I had celiac disease / gluten intolerance (I can't eat anything that contains even a trace of wheat, barely or rye). We're not from the area so I have no idea what cheap places with gluten free items there are to eat at. Before we just split a bread bowl, but clearly that won't work this year. Also I'm broke, as in I haven't worked in over a year broke.
Looking at the list of food purveyors:

King's Kitchen - Some of these might be safe. The turkey leg looks promising, but if I recall it's a bit pricey. Also does it have a sort of marinade on it? If so I can't have it. I can't have bbq items either.  Ooh! Does anyone know how much the Herb-Roasted Chicken with Mashed Potatoes is? I think that may be my best bet. *Wants herb roasted chicken and mashed potatoes now*

Failing that does anyone know what fast food joints that have salads are nearby? If all else fails I suppose I can stash a bottle of water and a box of gluten free chex mix in the car for when we leave.

mehan

*disclaimer*  Anyone who knows me, knows I am a staunch believer in spending whatever monies I have at faire and not "sneaking" in food, alcohol etc.   However, that being said, I understand all too well when what is avaialable at faire to eat is not what you CAN eat. 

CRF is one of the most "trek back to the car" faires we go to.  So I would strongly suggest that you pack what you know you can eat.  I justify this first - as they have no rule against doing this and secondly that I do shop and tip as much as I can afford.    I did look around again last weekend in the hopes that more "Mehan friendly" food was available, but I didna see any.

My only humble request - please don't bring outside snacks into the faire - as there is a rule against that. 

Rowan MacD

It's tough to find 'safe' foods at faire when you're allergic to onions and milk.  My poor hubby is stuck eating just desserts. 
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

solaris

i think the chicken was 5.50 or 6.50 and there is a McDonalds in sight of the entrance to the parking lot. My nephew has the same issue.

Elistariel

Quote from: mehan on October 12, 2010, 07:17:23 PM
*disclaimer*  Anyone who knows me, knows I am a staunch believer in spending whatever monies I have at faire and not "sneaking" in food, alcohol etc.   However, that being said, I understand all too well when what is avaialable at faire to eat is not what you CAN eat. 

CRF is one of the most "trek back to the car" faires we go to.  So I would strongly suggest that you pack what you know you can eat.  I justify this first - as they have no rule against doing this and secondly that I do shop and tip as much as I can afford.    I did look around again last weekend in the hopes that more "Mehan friendly" food was available, but I didna see any.

My only humble request - please don't bring outside snacks into the faire - as there is a rule against that. 

I never said I would sneak in food. I respect the Festival's rules. There is no rule, however, on what I can or cannot leave in the car to eat when it is time to go home. By the way it wouldn't be much. There is gluten free bread, but it's frozen. To make a sandwich requires a microwave and a toaster and I don't know of any cigarette-plug controlled microwaves or toasters for cars.  :D

Elistariel

Quote from: solaris on October 12, 2010, 07:25:30 PM
i think the chicken was 5.50 or 6.50 and there is a McDonalds in sight of the entrance to the parking lot. My nephew has the same issue.

I think I could afford that. I cannot, I mean literally cannot stand McDonald's. Far, far too many bad experiences.

amy

They do steak on a stick too... $6.. but I can't swear it doesn't have a marinade. 

Elistariel

Quote from: amy on October 13, 2010, 02:19:55 PM
They do steak on a stick too... $6.. but I can't swear it doesn't have a marinade. 

Awesome.  ;D