News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I need a serger!

Started by ArielCallista, August 26, 2010, 10:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Rebecca

^I think that might be what I have, too (it looks exactly the same). I don't have a dvd for it, though, just the manual.

Do you wind up having to take apart half the machine to thread it? Because I feel like that's what I wind up doing for that right lower looper.

Kate XXXXXX

I run two, in tandem.  I have the Bernina 1150MDA and the Brother 1034D.

The 1034D is a damned good machine for the money.  3/4 thread machine, no bells, very few whistles, just does what it says on the tin.  And easy to thread.  I also love the Bernina: much more powerful, faster, and smoother and quieter, as well as more versatile, with 2/3/4 thread capabilities.

CapnFayeCutler

Quote from: Lady Rebecca on September 06, 2010, 11:18:33 PM
^I think that might be what I have, too (it looks exactly the same). I don't have a dvd for it, though, just the manual.

Do you wind up having to take apart half the machine to thread it? Because I feel like that's what I wind up doing for that right lower looper.

Nope, just open the side doors (both left and right) and thread it through. It helps to lower the knife when trying to thread the lower looper. Also a good pair of long forceps/tweezers works wonders. Would you like me to try to copy the dvd and email you the file?

Also, when threading the lower looper, you HAVE to pull the thread under the over looper otherwise it just gets wonky and annoyed...which in turn annoys me. :)
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

Lady Rebecca

If you could, that would be amazing! I'll message you my email.

Alisoun

Once again, you ladies have influenced my craft life in a positive way.  After reading this thread, I put the Brother 1034D on my Amazon wish list.  Well, I received it as my "push gift" from my wonderful husband/partner-in-crime when we brought our little one home from the hospital on Thursday.  I hope to peruse the manual and pop in the DVD today!

Thanks!
"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does." --William James

LadyShadow

Congrats Alisoun on your lil ones arrival.  And for getting a new serger  ;D
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Kate XXXXXX

Excellent!

And congratulations on the cherub as well as the Brother!   :D

ArielCallista

So it got down to the point where I needed a serger immediately (projects for class MUST be serged! and they are due in a few short days...not enough time to ship a good one) so I went to Joanns and got the ONLY one they have...Which is a Singer ProFinish...I hope it wasn't a poor choice...that Brother one sounded like a really good Idea, but Joanns was sold out. I set it up and played with it...it came threaded with white thread...which is what I need for my project, so that's good...I can get some work done before needing to spend time reading the manual...from the looks of it tho its laid out almost identically to the Juki industrial sergers we have in the classroom (theres only 1 serger and 40 students that need to use it ugh) so I don't think I'll have too much issue keeping up with it...Apparently the only reason they had it in stock is cuz someone returned it cuz she couldn't figure out how to thread it...
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

RenRobinB

Congratulations on your new arrival, Alisoun!  (I mean the baby)

I just got the Brother 1034D about a week ago, and am very happy with it.  It's my first serger, and is a bit louder than my sewing machine.  I had planned never to rethread it, just tie the new threads onto the old ones, etc., hahahaha.  Well, within a few days, a couple threads broke, and there was no other choice but to dive in and rethread it.  Got it on the first try by following the manual and working slowly.  Also had to change a needle, and besides requiring some patience and coordination, no problem.

Hope you'll be happy with your serger, too!

Lady Rebecca

My lower looper thread came out today, but I was able to fix it within 15 minutes on only the 2nd try! And I think I know what I was doing wrong before. Yay!

ArielCallista

When we were getting started with sergers in class I was like super paranoid that it was gonna be like the hardest thing ever to thread it since everybody here seems to have major issues with it...but I got it after she showed us once which was a major relief...maybe the ones we have in class/mine are easier to thread than others...it just seems to make perfect sense to me...maybe I'm just more mechanically minded than the rest of my class...
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

Kate XXXXXX

The only reason a looper thread is going to come out in mid sew is that it has broken.  It may get caught in the chain and appear to be continuous, but it will have busted somewhere!  The only real cure it to completely rethread from scratch.

I've never found any of the sergers I've owned or used difficult to thread.  I suppose 'difficult' is an attitude...  Some are more awkward, some require tweezers, but after a couple of times I can usually do all 4 threads in under 2 minutes.