News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What would you say your faire style is?

Started by Adriana Rose, October 15, 2010, 12:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Upper Nobility with all the bells and whistles. My husband is the 1st Earl of Olmsted. I plan to make him some new garb in 2011.

When dressing down, we go more Middle Class. That's due more in part to the hotter weather than anything else.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Lady Renee Buchanan

After 15 years of faire, I have everything from peasant, wench, fantasy (my new Moresca fro-fro -- yeah!), pirate, Scottish, and noble.

We find when we wear noble garb, we are treated differently by the merchants, cast, and other visitors.  Sometimes that can be fun, but our faire is in the summer, and it's usually too hot.

Wench is easier to wear. If it's been dastardly hot, Steve & I have sat on the grass under a tree, which I'd never do in noble garb or a farthingale, but it's no problem to throw the skirt in the wash when we get home if there are grass stains on it.

My favorite is when Steve wears his kilt (what's not to love about that?!) and I usually wear some aspect of my Buchanan garb.  I have a couple of outfits which I can mix and match, so I'm not wearing the same thing every time.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Tink

I don't know that I have a particular style, but most of what I wear leans towards fae or wench (usually a mixture of both)  Trying to go more fae, but I haven't had as much time as I'd like to work on it.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

DT_Masters

The hunter, the adventurer. Not too complex on the clothes and any weapons are more of to be used against animals, such as the bull whip I hope to add soon. Fur parkas, leather and skin capes, leather boots, animal prints. A poet's shirt and wrap pants.

Now, eventually, I might go to a kilt There is practicallity in such and now that I am briefly playing a slave in Cleopatra's Egypt, the thought is not so foreign to me.........................although in these cold temperatures, britches seem like rather good notion, too!

At any event, clothes that go in with the story of a rich landsman of the north, who got tired of the trappings of wealth, turned the estate over to a sibling (brother? sister?) and traveled the world as the owner/navigator of the sail vessel Icarus, to learn unarmed combat in the orient, hunt tigers with the king in India, ride horses on the great plains of the southern new world.....................and be given that odd little device of metals and glass to capture images by the gypsies.

Cilean

Upwardly Mobile!  I love being in the best fabrics and jewelry I can find or make!! So I would have to say more is more for me. 
I was "Wench Gear" When I worked Faire and I really did not enjoy that, I have always wanted the big dresses that people ooo and ahh over
so for me? It is Go Big? Or Go Home!

LOL  ;D :D

Cilean

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: Cilean on November 24, 2010, 01:38:46 AM

Upwardly Mobile!  I love being in the best fabrics and jewelry I can find or make!! So I would have to say more is more for me.  
I was "Wench Gear" When I worked Faire and I really did not enjoy that, I have always wanted the big dresses that people ooo and ahh over
so for me? It is Go Big? Or Go Home!

LOL  ;D :D

Cilean

My girlfriend did that when she made a gown to go to faire.  She said that in real life she's a maid, nurse, & slave and it was her fantasy, darn it, so at least somewhere she was going to be a queen!  She made a lovely gown & went a couple of times & enjoyed it but then fell away from the faire scene.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Queen Genevieve

At my home faire... "Royal", since I'm the Queen
other faire's "Noble"

Queen Genevieve

cowgrrl

Basically its 'anything but noble'.  Pirate, wench, bellydancer, pirate fairy, steampunk explorer, airship pirate, steampunk bellydancer, gypsy.

My only reason for no noble garb is because I'm pretty sure I would get too hot & I don't want to spend a lot of money on something I can't wear very often.  I also prefer pieces I can mix & match to a full dress.

Mairte

kulrath Bane (Dragon Slayer AZ)

My style would be Mercenary, Dragon Slayer style armor. But definitely mercenary.
Kulrath Bane

Imestra

I'm so glad you revived this thread, Grammercy kulrath Bane!  You certainly look very very mercenary.
(so surprised I never posted this topic)

My sister & I play at tradeswomen, needleworkers - so less than middle class, finer than peasant.

Never noble - ack, the heat!!

However, I dream of noble winter wear for the Castleteers gatherings.
We are all of us in the gutters, but some of us are lookin at the stars

Captain Dungcaster

Firmly 16th century. 1550-80's. A merchant adventurer. Skirting the edges of the sumptuary laws.
Deerskin leather.
"Fantasy Football, Dungeons & Dragons for Jocks"
I.B.R.S.C #1068.

Maithu Ruadh

I tend to like military subjects -- as historically acurate-looking as I can manage. That means lots of wool and natural linen, solid colors (unless I'm doing the Scottish theme with tartans) as a common man -- no cottons, silks or leather clothing. I also like the outer fringe of the Renaissance, around the 80 Years War through the English Civil War and to the Jacobite uprisings. I'm working on a new 1600s matchlock musketeer garb that can have interchangeable pieces to portray everything from Elizabethan times to the ECW, although one day I'd love to go as a Landsknecht ...

operafantomet

Quote from: Maithu Ruadh on May 06, 2012, 08:41:53 PM
I also like the outer fringe of the Renaissance, around the 80 Years War through the English Civil War and to the Jacobite uprisings. I'm working on a new 1600s matchlock musketeer garb that can have interchangeable pieces to portray everything from Elizabethan times to the ECW, although one day I'd love to go as a Landsknecht ...
You're Manneristic!  :)

( http://operafantomet.livejournal.com/248393.html )

raevyncait

It's always been basic wench, with a little gypsy-ish thrown in, and a touch of Scottish.  I've tried a court dress, and I hated it. I don't like all the rules for who can wear what colors/trims, etc., so I'm good with my easier, more free style.  A few weeks ago, Queen Margaret named me the resident Scottish Gypsy.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist