News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Questions about cast

Started by Rainbow Gypsy, October 20, 2010, 08:57:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainbow Gypsy

I've always worked at faire at the shoppes, but I've been secretly yearning to be on the cast at GARF. Can anyone tell me what auditions are like?  What goes on at the workshops for cast? Are they held on the weekends?

I'd love to hear from anyone who's a cast member from any faire, but especially GARF!

stonebiscuit

GARF auditions typically take place in January. Unless they've changed since the last time I was there, the initial auditions involve a monologue and improv. Callbacks involve more improv and some character work. When I auditioned way back in 2004 they also involved some combat, but I'm not sure if they have a combat program anymore. They're usually looking for enthusiastic, prepared, personable people who make big, strong choices and aren't afraid to act silly.

Rehearsals (they aren't called workshops) were typically held evenings during the week (often on Monday) and on weekends for about a month and a half/two months leading up to opening. You should get a rehearsal schedule at auditions. Rehearsals were fairly physical and while not the most intense I've ever been to, they were rather exhausting. They were concerned with all manner of things, primarily character creation and development, improv, language, and audience interaction. Other elements covered include costume and prop creation and character-to-character interaction. Unless things have changed, you'll mostly need to pick up history and mannerisms on your own.

Being on cast at GARF was a lot of fun. JonStrickland can also help, as he's been there more recently than I have.