News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What to do with your hands?

Started by Philomel, November 05, 2010, 12:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philomel

Looking for some new ideas for what to do with my hands when I'm not "doing" anything.  Other than 1. fiddling with my fan 2. needlework  3.  prayerbook.

any suggestions?

stonebiscuit

I assume you're portraying a court lady, so here are a few suggestions, many from a long-time courtier friend of mine:

*primping yourself/others
*harp/mandolin
*needlework, needlework, needlework
*some card games
*pick a small child to entertain from a distance; peekaboo, etc
*string games with small children? Cat's cradle, etc
*pay attention to the queen

A few more specifics about the character, as well as what you're looking for (ways to relieve personal boredom, pretty things to do, specifically entertaining things) might be helpful.

McGuinness

I tend to never know what to do with mine either but found having a character-driven posture or stance to fall back on helps. What character is this for and what is their personality like?

Do you have a favorite faire photograph site? That's where I've gotten some ideas for stance, just by looking at others. As a noble for four years (and a royal for one), I've changed it up depending on my character. Last year I was a villian and had my hands on my hips a lot (yes, yes, not exactly a period way to stand but it was a character and body language driven one). This year as a rebel-princess, I tended to fiddle with my necklace or hat plumes or had one hand on a hip and the other across my waist. A couple years ago, I was New Money and polished my rings when I was bored or distracted. I've found affectations like a goblet to hold (helps with hydration too) or a fan help too.

Philomel

Well, I'm still developing the character somewhat.  Without giving too much away, I'm a much younger queen to an older king, but it has to stay family friendly.  Right now I seem to be spending alot of time sitting and looking pretty.

McGuinness

Quote from: Philomel on November 05, 2010, 04:53:56 PM
Well, I'm still developing the character somewhat.  Without giving too much away, I'm a much younger queen to an older king, but it has to stay family friendly.  Right now I seem to be spending alot of time sitting and looking pretty.

...which is what noble women do. A lot. Practice gracefully folding your hands on your lap and sitting up straight.

stonebiscuit

Quote...which is what noble women do. A lot.

The lady speaks truth.

Philomel

Yawn.  lol -No wonder some of my scripted lines sound so desperate for something to do!

stonebiscuit

I'm still a little confused; are you looking for things to do with your hands while you're in conversation, or are you looking for audience interaction bits?

Philomel

I've got long bits where the conversation goes on around me, so stuff to do then.  Not necessarily formal court, but alot of sitting around.

stonebiscuit

So these are scripted moments where you're not talking? The thing to do then is to throw focus to whoever is talking; actively listen to them, and react accordingly.

If these are unscripted conversations, inject yourself into them. You can do this while doing other things, esp. needlework and primping.