News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

My first leather mug

Started by Nighthawk, September 12, 2010, 11:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nighthawk

My first mug! The crest is the Polish eagle.

My dad asked me to make this for a friend of his in Poland, who happens to love hand made gifts. Never done one of these before since they are technicly not period for me. I'm really pretty pleased with how it came out!

Drudonn

Oooh, wow! Very pretty! Well done!

Butch

Very nice!  How did you finish the bottom? (leather, wood, or?)  Did you use brewer's pitch inside?

It looks great!

Nighthawk

The bottom is also leather, and I used bee's wax. Pitch smells really bad when it's hot, and it's brittle. I have to confess that I cheated on he bottom a little. Hobby Lobby sells precut circles that used. Cutting circles is a pain!

jcbanner

first mug or not, it looks very nice.

I have a friend that makes leather mugs,  when he makes them, he will first seal the mug with bees wax, then a second sealling coat that is a 50/50 mix of brewers pitch and bee's wax.

the mix he says give the best of both, not as tacky as the wax, and not as brittle as the pitch.

Rani Zemirah

It really is lovely!  Wonderful work! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

crazyrennie

From a novice leather worker-very Nice!

Crazy

Nighthawk

I have since learned new dying techniques and edge finishing techniques. Version 2.0 will be done very soon! And it looks SO MUCH better!!