News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Does anyone dress in garb particular to their heritage?

Started by Mairte, October 10, 2010, 06:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auryn

operafantomet
as always you are a wealth of information, thank you.
My grandma still lives in Citta Alta (the historic walled in part of Bergamo) so when I visit thats where I go.
I have this fanciful idea of showing up in period garb and just wondering the streets, I wonder what people's reactions would be.

I grew up in that area but the majority of my family on my mom's side (this is where my mom grew up, grandma etc) is in the Veneto region.
I think it'd be ok for me to draw from those two regions.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

operafantomet

Quote from: Auryn on October 22, 2010, 09:03:36 AM
operafantomet
as always you are a wealth of information, thank you.
My grandma still lives in Citta Alta (the historic walled in part of Bergamo) so when I visit thats where I go.
I have this fanciful idea of showing up in period garb and just wondering the streets, I wonder what people's reactions would be.

Bergamo was the very first place I visited in Italy, and a city I've grown more and more fond of. Whereas "everyone" knows Rome, Florence, Venice, Naples etc, Bergamo is more "my" city, my secret hideaway, and if possible I always land or leave from this airport if I'm visiting Italy. Citta alta (Berghem de sura!) is by far my favourite part, the view up there is spectacular and I love the old houses and quirky shops. You lucky thing to have family there! And I thinkt hat if you dressed up and walked around there, you'd be the favourite photo motif of both locals and tourists!!

Have you seen Jennifer Thompson's Bergamesque outfit?
http://www.festiveattyre.com/gallery/moroni/index.html

Anna Iram

Jealous!! I want relatives in Italy. Especially in a town that sounds so wonderful. How lucky you are Auryn, and how lucky Anea to be able to visit so often.

My background is 1/4 French on my Fathers side and a wealth of English/Welsh/Scottish ancestors from both sides with a sprinkle of Irish thrown in for good measure.

I've often thought to dress as I might imagine a distant countrywoman from France might have dressed. I like the idea anyway, but while there's alot of backhistory available from my Mothers side I don't have much from my grandparents in France. We are working on it. I'd love to go as someone in particular from my family tree. That'd be so neat!

My current garb is just general English court/faire mix.

Auryn

Its so funny because usually when I tell someone where I am from they have no idea what I am talking about.

Did you ever walk the walls from Citta Bassa all the way to the top??
I did once-I was not in great shape and it took me almost 2.5 hrs but it was spectacular.

I'm so glad  to hear you like my home town :).
My grandma lives right across from the cheese shop closest to the entrance of the Funiculare.
I am getting hungry just thinking about all the great food I eat when I am there. hehe.
Have you been to the coffee shop 'La Marianna'??

I did see Jennifer Thompson's outfit and I am totally in love with it. Unfortunately living in Florida doesn't give me much of an opportunity to wear fur lined anything.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Auryn

Anna,
was your maternal grandmother born in France??
If so and you can prove it and prove your relationship to her you might be able to get French citizenship.

Anna Iram

Hooty Hoo!! France here I come!  :)

I do think a few generations can be proved. I'll have to see what's been found.

Nice of them to name a cafe after me, Auryn. That's my name off this forum. Marianna

Alright I've hijacked your conversation enough.... ;D

Luciana

Quote from: LAVAGODDESSSS on October 21, 2010, 01:52:22 PM
My first and favorite garb is very similar to photos my Oma, or grandmother, had in her house of her and her parents and their parents...we are what you would call "Rom" or Romanian (though the two are not mutually exclusive of one another).

Romanian? Rom is a correct name but Romanian is not. Romania is a nation, Romanian is the name of the population. Romes are part of that population but Romanian do not appreciate to be called Rom.
Luciana
Gypsy Fur Trader
Ette,Divine Oracle

My goal in life is to be as good of a person
as my dog thinks I am.

Rani Zemirah

Well, since I am 1/4 Cheyenne on my father's side, I doubt I'll be wearing that garb to Faire, although I could wear it to other types of reenactment events.  I do have a good bit of Scots, English and French heritage, and less well documented southern European ancestry, as well, but my Faire character is Rom, or Romani.  I've spent about a decade researching, but it seems that no one is really interested in a historically accurate "Gypsy", and instead want the more colorful Hollywood version.  I do not wear the middle eastern belly dance garb, however, but I have lots of fun mixing pieces of clothing from various cultures as would someone who had traveled and traded in so many different places.   
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

operafantomet

Quote from: Luciana on October 24, 2010, 11:41:43 PM
My first and favorite garb is very similar to photos my Oma, or grandmother, had in her house of her and her parents and their parents...we are what you would call "Rom" or Romanian (though the two are not mutually exclusive of one another).

Romanian? Rom is a correct name but Romanian is not. Romania is a nation, Romanian is the name of the population. Romes are part of that population but Romanian do not appreciate to be called Rom.

Or to be blunt: Romanians are from the country Romania, Rom is a non-border term for what many refer to as gypsies. The Roms lives in Eastern Europe, but is called "Romani" internationally.

To add to the confusion, "Rum" is also what Turks called Greeks. In the case of both Romania and "Rum", it was used to indicate that the area/population was once a leg of the Roman empire. As for the Rom/Romani/Roma term for "gypsies", it derives from their word for man. So similar names, but different meaning and origin.

Lady Renee Buchanan

My ancestors are from Italy, and we still have relatives living in Teramo, Abruzzi, but I don't wear Italian garb.

Steve is English, and I guess we wear "English" garb to faire, but nothing really H/A.  His last name is a sept of the Buchanan clan, so he does wear a Buchanan tartan kilt, & I have 2 sets of garb incorporating the tartan.

When we went to England last year to visit his family, I wanted to take garb and pose at a "real" castle (as opposed to one being Photoshopped in the background), but he thought I was nuts and refused to do it.  In retrospect, probably a good idea that we didn't bring garb, as they lost his luggage for 3 days of the week we were there.  He did get it back eventually, but if we had garb in a suitcase that was never to be found again, I would have been super upset.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Luciana

Quote from: operafantomet on October 25, 2010, 12:16:25 AM
Quote from: Luciana on October 24, 2010, 11:41:43 PM

Or to be blunt: Romanians are from the country Romania, Rom is a non-border term for what many refer to as gypsies. The Roms lives in Eastern Europe, but is called "Romani" internationally.

To add to the confusion, "Rum" is also what Turks called Greeks. In the case of both Romania and "Rum", it was used to indicate that the area/population was once a leg of the Roman empire. As for the Rom/Romani/Roma term for "gypsies", it derives from their word for man. So similar names, but different meaning and origin.
Thank you. I am very familiar with the definitions considering I am Romanian. They live in Eastern Europe, most of the Russia and now most of Western Europe also (see the big scandal in France).
Luciana
Gypsy Fur Trader
Ette,Divine Oracle

My goal in life is to be as good of a person
as my dog thinks I am.