News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Dry Cleaning Prices

Started by LadyStitch, November 11, 2010, 09:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyStitch

I was just curious how much do many of you that wear royals pay to have yours cleaned.   As i am theatical costumer I have made friends with my local dry cleaner and they cut me a little slack, especially since I'm dropping $50-100 bucks a week every week for our theater laundry.
I recently had to have cleaned a ball gown that had been used in 3 shows but due to it's mass of ruffles, and heavy skirt it had not been cleaned.   We dropped $20 bucks on JUST that one dress to be cleaned.  Needless to say we were choaking, but it had to be done. 

How much are some of you paying? Does the cast of faire's get discounts to have their garb cleaned after muddy weekends?
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Blue66669

I'm lucky. My dad is a dry cleaner. I can get everything besides leather cleaned for free.
Blaidd Drwg

LadyStitch

:: Is not sure if she should shake a fist as Blue or put on that big cheery little kid in a toy store i want something look::

Blue all i have to say is, lucky!!!! ;D

dragongirl

I just had my Tudor Style court gown cleaned.  Between the over gown and underdress it cost $25.00 to clean.  However, I live in NY and everything is more expensive here.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

gem

I took my flaming orange chemise to a local dry cleaner's ONCE (suburban Kansas City). They charged me $20--for just a chemise!  :o Now I do everything myself at home.

There are a couple of good threads on garb cleaning, but the basics are: starting with very washable fabrics whenever possible (and, of course, pre-washing EVERYTHING, including trim, before sewing), and steaming the rest in the dryer. I also use Dryel on things I think could benefit from a slightly deeper cleaning in the dryer.

Syrilla

wow, you guys only pay in the twenty dollar range.  The last court gown was $65.  Normally, I clean my own at home, or use 1/2 vodka and water to "clean" the insides.

LadyStitch

I know our dry cleaner charges $90 bucks for anything that resembles a wedding dress, and requires a week to clean it.  Granted, when they do keep it that long they clean every nook and cranky.  You get what you pay for but yeesh!

Dinobabe

I think I paid $8 for a regular Sunday dress or skirt-top combo.  Leather skirt was $15 (nasty stain on it, though, that he got out PERFECTLY!).  Maybe I heard once that a wedding dress would be $20-25, but like you said they clean every cranny.  And I thought $8 was high!  I live in a small town.

P.S. The only certified leather cleaner in the midsouth region is here.  If you give your leather to a cleaner they ship it here to be cleaned and charge twice.  I'm sure it's the same in other regions.  So search for an authorized leather cleaner and ship/drop off directly, it's cheaper! ;)
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Lady Catharine

Expensive....I do chemises and washable's..but my tudor's drycleaned...I choke @ then end of the season...It's done..Im very very careful with food & drynk...
'A feast is made for laughter,
and wine maketh merry'