News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

To my friends about the R/F forum

Started by John, May 07, 2008, 09:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

The snitz forum software is no longer a viable option.
I have the forum database containing all the posts. There is a remote possibility that the posts could be converted to another forum. It will be some time before I can make that determination.

My gratitude and love goes to the admin and moderators who make R/F a wonderful place to meet and you the members who make it all worthwhile. Thank you.

I want to especially thank Lady Serena and Tom for providing this forum.

John
972-259-8081

willin

-  - WOW ! -  -

John,
do your best to save what you can. over the years there was/is a lot of good information and dialog relating to the festivals, lifestyle & the people involved.  if need be, we can adjust to a new format.

we trust your judgment - do what you gotta'
GOT FEET ?

Lord Figaro

Sometimes change can be good. Though a slight difficult adjustment for some (like me). But a place like the one you have provided for us John, is well worth making the adjustment for. I'm just imagining DB going back to even posts with the average poster. Knowing DB though, it won't last.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

lady serena

John,

We are here to help and serve in anyway possible. I'm sorry to see that someone had to make it come down to this, but at the same time really glad because we still all can get together and talk. Please keep on fighting for R/F it's a good place. And again a big THANK YOU  ;D to you John, with out you this would not even be possible.
Guppy # 81
Fins up

Queen Bonnie

Glad all those post are not lost! I hope we can see them again. It feels strange to be starting over- but we are not really. All are friends here! Glad we can still meet.
Not a big fan of change though.
Can I kick DB's can?
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

will paisley

Quote from: willin on May 07, 2008, 03:30:29 PM
John,
do your best to save what you can. over the years there was/is a lot of good information and dialog relating to the festivals, lifestyle & the people involved.  if need be, we can adjust to a new format.

we trust your judgment - do what you gotta'

I'm not sure how possible/practical it is, but on another board (quite large and somewhat well-known), the owner put the old board up in read-only mode, with registration closed and no valid registered accounts.  This allowed people to access and link to the old information without the admins having to figure out how to do a database migration between two different (and probably hidden and undocumented) database structures.  Then again, we were simply changing forum software, not trying to avoid hackers.

I have been dealing with these types of individuals for years and I have never been able to figure out their desire to randomly destroy something that is of no harm or bother to anybody.  The best defense I've seen is to deny them the attention they seem to crave and wait for their attention span to wane, when they will move on to another target (oops, never mind).

Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally

violetrose

Thank you John for everything you have done! I did give DB my DH's email address if you want additional brain power on the ordeal.
~Coffee Wench~
TheCastleGrounds.com
God Save the Bean!

Lady Nicolette

Many thanks to Lady Serena and Tom for giving us this great lifeboat...Can't believe how many of us fit so comfortably in here!  And John, thank you for all of the headaches you've endured and surely must be enduring now.  We can adjust if we need to, we're Rennies and we're flexible! 
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Tygrkat

Many Thanks to John and everyone else working to help keep this "life raft" afloat!

Long live R/F!!! HUZZAH!!!! ;D
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

Anna Iram

Wow is right..... *sigh* I guess sometimes when a city is bombed badly enough you may just have to rebuild completly.    Thanks for keeping us together until you can build us a new home. I'm sure we'll fill up those empty pages quickly with all our knowlege.

Now where's Mare? I need some advice on a skirt I'm starting work on.

Sir Martin

Hackers suck.  >:(   But it's great that we still have a place to get together.  Cheers to John, DB, Lady Serena and Tom!

NoBill Lurker

*looks around* I think I've been here before? ;)

A life-raft full of fairemily is a good as place as any!!!!

Thanks to John and DB, For your continuing hard work!!!

And also thanks to Lady Serena and Tom for a place to hang out!!!

HUZZAH!!!
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

BagPipeBabe

Thank you John for all you have done and or you are doing for us. Wow, a life-raft (I never would have thought of that).

Scarlett

Woah.  I feel like I'm in some alternate reality here.  Weird.
Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

Athena

It is a bit weird, I'm so used to seeing the old format. I can adjust though, because I can still talk to everyone....my biggest fear is losing the forum altogether and losing touch with so many wonderful people. Thanks to Lady Serena & her husband for providing this site, and to John for not throwing in the towel!
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb