News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

'The Pillars of The Earth' is out in DVD

Started by Lady Kathleen of Olmsted, December 05, 2010, 12:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I just purchased the Starz Mini-Series, 'The Pillars of The Earth'. Outstanding what I have seen so far. This follows the epic novel quite well. Though it is impossible to get everything in, the series has a stellar cast. It's worth getting. Co-produced by Ridley Scott. The backdrop of Medieval England in the 12th Century is riveting as is the politics of the time.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Auryn

Its at the top of my netflix queu

glad to hear your praises
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I am almost finished weatching the series. Stirring, eloquent, and addictiv.

Without giving anything away, this is a keeper that I will watch over and over. The acting, writing, overall backdrop of Medieval England is stunning. This could be a major Emmy and Golden Globe winner in many categories.

Lord Clisto of York

I had some friends record and burn the series for me some time ago. I really liked it and by the book.
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

The Mini-Series recieved 3 Golden Globe nominations for Best Drama Mini-Series and Acting Nominations for Hayley Atwell(Aliena) and Ian McShane(Bishop Waleran Bigod). Ian McShane has won a GG and Emmy for his portryal of Al Swearengan in 'DEADWOOD'

He's that good of an actor and one of my faves.

Bob of the Lake

I'm with you, Lady Kathleen. I've loved Ian McShane in everything he's done--good for him to be nominated for a GG. I really want to get the "Pillars" DVD but it's still $40 on Amazon.  I guess I'll wait til after Christmas to see if the price drops!
I came, I saw, I skipped to my lou.
            - Hammy the Squirrel

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Bob!!  The series is that good and worth even the $40 on Amazon. I wanted it right away and paid $49 at Best Buy! I love the extras that come with the DVD set. I am currently re-watching it because the episodes are so engrossing.

The novel, as with the series, stand on its own. I am loving the novel as well.

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

You can get it at Walmart for 30.00

We started watching it yesterday. ;D

Bob of the Lake

Quote from: Warrior Monk on December 15, 2010, 02:56:20 PM
You can get it at Walmart for 30.00

We started watching it yesterday. ;D

Thanks for the tip, WM. $30 sounds more like it!
            - Hammy the Squirrel

Athena

I read the book last summer and couldn't put it down, excellent story! I've been dying to watch the series. Looks like I'll be treating myself to a Christmas present this year. :)
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

I've seen many an Ibelin tunic (KoH carry over, but I guess that figures with R. Scott's hands involved) in use during this story!

Sir William Marcus

I liked it. It took a little time for me to get used to Ian McShane being Bishop Waleran as I'm so used to him as Al Swearengen in Deadwood and you saw a lot of Al Swearengen in it too. Other than that I liked it and will eventually watch it again. 

"Hi cousin, I'm Henry **WACK** 
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Bob of the Lake

Finally ordered the series from Amazon ($29.95) and it's on it's way. Huzzah!  Can't wait!  ;D
            - Hammy the Squirrel

Merlin the Elder

It's on streaming NetFlix.  We're enjoying it immensely!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Auryn

I am planning on watching it streaming tonight on the big tv :)- let you know what I think
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec