News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

THE KING'S SPEECH

Started by Lady Kathleen of Olmsted, January 31, 2011, 10:18:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

A remarkable film with a stellar cast of Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Helena-Bohnam Carter, Guy Pearce, Timothy Spall, Michael Gambon, Claire Booth, and Sir Derek Jacobi.

Set in pre-WWII England, the father of Queen Elizabeth II, the Duke of York(Firth), must overcome his stammer. A heart gripping story of a relationship between two different men, events that shaped the House of Windsor at a time when things were not as they seemed.

This is a film that is now reaping recognition as a major Oscar Contender with 12 Nominations. A film that should not be missed.

****/out of 4 stars
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Becky10

I really, really, really want to see this movie! It has three of my favorite actors.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Lady Rebecca

It was excellent. Colin Firth's acting deserves every possible award.

The Lady Mercedes

I agree, it's a great film!
Why be mundane when you can be a Rennie?!

Taffy Saltwater

Wonderful movie.  Geoffrey Rush was superb; Colin Firth was perfectly believable in the role; and Helena Bonham Carter was so wonderful she made me forget she was Helena Bonham Carter.
Sveethot!

Tink

would LOVE for my students to see this movie (but it's a bit too old for them, I'm afraid.)
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

Lady Rebecca

Quote from: Taffy Saltwater on January 31, 2011, 06:46:15 PMand Helena Bonham Carter was so wonderful she made me forget she was Helena Bonham Carter.
Seconded. I didn't mind her at all in this movie, and usually I hate her.

Taffy Saltwater

Quote from: Lady Rebecca on January 31, 2011, 11:59:31 PM
Quote from: Taffy Saltwater on January 31, 2011, 06:46:15 PMand Helena Bonham Carter was so wonderful she made me forget she was Helena Bonham Carter.
Seconded. I didn't mind her at all in this movie, and usually I hate her.
I do like her, but had forgotten she has mad acting skillz.
Sveethot!

Mairte

This is on my "too see" list as well.

Zardoz

For everyone that goes nuts about HA costumes.... :o

Take note in 'The King's Speech' when Colin Firth goes to visit his brother at Balmoral he is wearing a kilt in the Irish County Kerry tartan, which was designed in the 90's, and a modern 'off the rack' sporran and argyll jacket. (In fact I have the same jacket)
The costume designer Jenny Beavan did a really good job recreating the 1930s fashions in the film, but really dropped the ball with the Highlandwear!

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/scots-furious-as-kings-speech-shows-firth-wearing-irish-tartan-2509319.html

Overlook the kilt thing and the usual gross falsifications of history, and it's a pretty good movie !
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I was so engrossed in the story, I missed that detail. And I very seldom overlook ostuming details.  ;D

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

After watching the 83rd Academy Awards with Linda last night, I was very pleased to see 'THE KING'S SPEECH' win Best Picture. Director, Actor, and Original Screenplay.

A very competitive fiield this time around, the Academy got it right this year. Last year, I was rooting for 'AVATAR'. Surely one of the most inovative and spectacular films of this century so far. Not many people saw 'The Hurt Locker'.