News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Not exactly Medieval or Renaissance, but just amazing....

Started by Rowan MacD, January 22, 2011, 09:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

Came by this link in my wanderings....Aww geez, *sigh*
 L5,000 is probably reasonable for this imaginary gown.  

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Tsarina-Alexandra-Russian-Court-Gown/376497?id=376497&slug=Tsarina-Alexandra-Russian-Court-Gown

Yeah I know it's 19th century, but wow
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Lady Rebecca

The description says it's some sort of virtual dress for your avatar to wear. It's $21.58.

Anna Iram

What a strange world we live in where you can buy land, travel and have gowns made for your virtual life.  ???

..anyway, yes it is a beautiful design and I'd love to see the museum and her inspirations. The Russian Court in her glory days must have been something to see.

Rowan MacD

Looking the pics, if this was real, it would weigh a TON.  Even with light weight fabrics it would tough to drag that train and all that velvet, bullion and crystals.   Yeah this is weird that we have costumers for avatars now days.  Nice details though.
 What kind of game/virtual whatever would you need this for?

Here's a link to some real garb, in a museum

http://textplay.net/pages/0008.htm 

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

operafantomet

Quote from: Rowen MacD on January 22, 2011, 01:48:20 PM
 Looking the pics, if this was real, it would weigh a TON.  Even with light weight fabrics it would tough to drag that train and all that velvet, bullion and crystals.

I read somewhere that when one of the Russian empresses were crowned, she wore a dress similar to the style of the avatar. The dress was all embroidered with real silver, on real silver cloth, and it had a huge skirt with train. It was so heavy she needed two ladies in waiting to help her move. Apparently too much ain't nearly enough...

It reminds of Russian-Orthodox church interiors, though. The golden surfaces is a part of the culture, originally thought to be an earthy reminder of God's glory and greatness. I'm not surprised this part of the culture was also influenced in court clothes, like the OMG boring sober Protestant clothes of the 16th century reflected the stripped interiors of the reformed churches.

Lady Kett

Quote from: Rowen MacD on January 22, 2011, 01:48:20 PM

What kind of game/virtual whatever would you need this for?

The "L$5,000" is for the in-game money of the on-line game called Second Life. Which, it looks like if you pay the seller real money of about $22, can be translated into in-game money, or he'll take the cash in lieu of in-game money.

I scoped out Second Life when it first came out but I prefer more fantasy in my online gaming. I didn't want Second Life...I wanted a completely Alternative Reality. :)

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion now. Pretty gown!