News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

$90 for sewing machine tune-up?

Started by gem, December 07, 2010, 12:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

Does that sound about right? I've had my new machine for two years now, and I'd like to get it serviced/cleaned/whatever (it's been running a little noisily lately). This is what my SM shop charges, and I just wanted to know if it sounded like the right ballpark.

Gramercy!

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

It depends on the machine , the type of service it needs, and where you live.

I pay $75 for a tuneup, cleaning, and oiling of metal parts. There are times a part needs replacing, and that adds to the overall cost. My Janome went in in October. The bill was over $125 because I needed 2 parts replaced. I use my machine every day. So it gets a good workout.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Auryn

I think it depends on the machine.
I called a really reputable place near me thats been in business for almost 40 years- been getting things sharpened and used to get our commercial/industrial sewing machine serviced there.
They quoted me $90 to look at my old singer 15 model from the 40s and tune her up.

Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

bookwench

I've paid anywhere from $70 - $110, depending on the place, the machine, and what repairs/adjustments were necessary. 
"I base most of my fashion taste on what doesn't itch." -G. Radner

DonaCatalina

My last tuneup cost $85 for my baby lock design pro.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Kate XXXXXX

£103 here for a complete service, resetting all stitch patterns, and a small new part that cost £13.  That was my Lily.

iain robb

I just paid $112 for a thorough cleaning, lube and adjustment, and a new cord, on an old Elna that, by the shop owner's estimation, had mostly been sitting around gathering dust after it went out of adjustment.

And I considered that quite reasonable, given the amount of time the shop owner himself spent on the machine, and with me afterward. He wanted to make sure I knew how to take care of it and had everything I needed to do so -- certainly, he wanted to sell me oil and a brush and all that, but he was not at all put off by the fact that I already had the stuff. He seemed genuinely concerned that I enjoy my machine.

If you have that kind of service, it's worth paying for.

gem

I'm definitely with you there, Iain! In fact, I actually feel like I bought the shop and not just the machine. They were the last place I went to check, "just in case," before heading off to pick up a used Bernina I wasn't in love with--and as soon as the folks in the shop started talking to me, I was sold! It's such an awesome store (a quilt/fabric store, not just a machine dealer, which is a big plus) that all that remained was for me to decide which machine I wanted.

Zardoz

We have paid from $79 to $95 to overhaul the 30 and 40 year old Singers my wife uses. So anything between 75 and 100 seems to be the going rate.
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Butch

Yesterday, I broke my machine I have dedicated for straight stitching!  I thought it was heavier-duty.  I was sewing through some leather, and I heard a spinning at the wheel side, and the needle no longer went up and down, and the wheel no longer powered anything when it was hand turned.

My estimation (without knowing anything about them) is that a fan belt broke.

Gotta take it somewhere to get repaired!  I can't WAIT to see the cost estimate.  Thank goodness I still have my multi-stitch machine and my serger!  I'm making Christmas gifts right now.

Lady Toadflinger

I guess I am lucky that I live in the sticks! (about 50 miles outside of Sacramento, CA) I have a shop that charges $50 for tune-ups, with extra for new parts, etc... Of course these are 30-40 year old Kenmores and Vikings, not new computerized models.
keeper of the royal menagerie

isabelladangelo

I've paid $125 before just to get my machine fixed.  This is why I now fix them myself! 

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

CapnFayeCutler

It cost me about 95 when I had mine serviced and repaired last year. The guy said had it not been a computer issue it would have been 75 (like my mom's old Kenmore) - So it sounds about right to me!
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Any machine that has a Computer Memory board, will cost more for service. More of the Heavy Duty machines are coming out with Computer Memory. The Embroidery/Sewing Janome Memory Craft 110000 machine I want costs over $5,000 on sale. Imagine the tune up costs on that? But then, it will be a computer that sews.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

CapnFayeCutler

Ooh I've seen that one... want @_@

I'm actually getting a new machine for Christmas because if I have my current Singer serviced AGAIN it'll be a) more than what I paid for the machine, and b) what I've paid in repairs on this one I could have bought the new one twice. x_X;
Slack'n Penny -  Chieftess, Clan Byrne of the IPB
IFRP# 1264 IWG #3575
RoOL 26 | Castleteer | ETTE