News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Fur trim resourses

Started by LadyStitch, December 16, 2010, 10:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyStitch

After dealing with a rash of people drooling over the pink pirates red velvet and white fur trimmed Santa hat. I'm thinking of making a few for next year.  The thing is as much as I love the way his hat looks.  It feels a little odd to have this georgous royal velvet hat that is trim with the $5 a yard basic 4 inch wide white fur trim.  It makes me think of some one wearing a beautiful formal gown but wearing a sweatshirt over the top of it.  Looks great, but the trim makes it look cheap. 

Anyway, I'm looking to get a nicer fur trim.  I would love a nice 4-6 in wide fur trim to put on the hats, but If I could find a nicer faux ermine type stuff I would be even happier.

Secretly, I would like to work up to making the Pink Pirate a celtic santa outfit to wear on Celtic Christmas weekend at TRF. 

Any suggestions on where I could get it?
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Dinobabe

I don't know about faux but for real try antique shops for shoulder wraps and such, leather shops for scrap fur, or Goodwill for fur coats (even just trim).  You might even find faux at Goodwill.  I have some GORGEOUS long haired goat fur (or hair?) that grandma used for head hair and beards on her dolls. :o
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

gem

Brief hijack: Lady S, where do you get the trim you're using now? It sounds like it would work for my tree skirt project.

Gramercy!

LadyStitch

GEM:  I get mine at Jo-Anns in the trim isle, at the bottom.  They have it year round but have large quantities during the Christmas season.  They have had it on sale for 30-50% off most days for the past month.  Reg price is $5 a yard but I got mine for $2.50  a yard. This is what I get at Jo-anns
http://www.jkmribbon.com/Store/product/wrights-fur-4,5439,83.htm

On the main topic,  I really do not want to touch the real stuff.  I have used it before and do not care to.  It is just too much of a pain to deal with.  If I choose to sell them having real fur would 1) seriously raise the cost and 2) turn some of my customers away

I saw some beautiful emine style 60" fur once but it was $100 a yard online.  When I only need 1/4 -1/2 a yard, that is a bit much.
I also found this....http://www.mjtrim.com/Catalog/Product/77/28624/28624.aspx   I love but... ::Grabs chest at price::
This is possible but not 'quite' what I'm looking for.  Though it might be what Gem needs.  http://www.mjtrim.com/Catalog/Product/77/34274/34274.aspx

Dinobabe

So I happened to stop by Salvation Army yesterday and lo and behold they had a full length white rabbit fur coat and an entire rack of short coats with all different colors of fur! :o

My lucky purchases included a skirt with belly dance coins (tink, tink!), a new pair of Ren/Civil War boots, and the CUTEST little black short vest that I am going to decorate gypsy style! ;D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

gem

Thanks, LS!! I'm off to JoAnn to see if they have any in stock.  ;D

Have you thought about marabou trim? I don't know if that will give you the look (or the width) you want, but I saw some at Amazon (I Googled "marabou trim yard" to get the trim itself instead of stuff that was already trimmed).

I wonder if buying faux fur yardage and making your own might be a more economical way to go. The trouble is that good faux fur tends to be wildly expensive. Margo Anderson had some sources on her blog a few months back (http://onetoughcostumer.blogspot.com/ It's the second entry).

Adriana Rose

Try looking on etsy they have a section for supplies and I have found some really cool faux fur on that. Its in all sorts of colors and types.

Good luck, and pictures?

LadyStitch

Gem:  Make sure you look for the Joann's Coupons out there before you go.  There is a CRUD of them available right now.
I looked at the Maribou trim, and honestly it isn't. I'm going for the traditional fur trim for the hats, and they need to at least 4 inches wide.  After talking to the pink pirate last night about what I had found, he and I were both thinking we may just buy yardage and make our own.  You can get a nice Mink for $20 a yard, or higher end stuff for $50 a yard.  Considering I can make 18 hats per yard of fur that breaks down to $1-3 per hat for trim.  Right now I'm paying $2.50 on sale $5 per yard for the teddy bear fur style trim. Only now with the yardage I'll have to cut it myself.Yes it adds another hour of time but, considering the next best fur I can get would be $60 a yard....  I'll spend the extra hour thank you.

BTW the Pink Pirate spotted an antique style  Father Christmas Coat pattern online.   Do I need to say I got puppy dog eyes soon as he saw it?  ;D

gem

Quote from: LadyStitch on December 17, 2010, 12:19:25 PM
BTW the Pink Pirate spotted an antique style  Father Christmas Coat pattern online.   Do I need to say I got puppy dog eyes soon as he saw it?  ;D

Um, LINKY, please??!!!

Thanks for the tip--I got 5 yards of 4" Santa fur for 40% off! Now I just have to work up the nerve to sew it to the velvet.  :o

And at $1-3 per hat, I think buying yardage actually does make the most sense! Can we see pictures of these hats?

LadyStitch

Here is the pattern.  Joann's has them on sale for $2 this weekend. :)  Not the best but I'm sure you can play with it and make it nicer.  http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m5550-products-8099.php?page_id=915

I posted the only photo I have of the hats over in the mundane section. But here it is anyway.  I'll try to remember to get a good shot of him wearing the hat.