News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Kids walking around Faire alone?

Started by cowgrrl, June 09, 2008, 09:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whistler Fred

It may very well depend on the age and the maturity level.  Last summer we let our 13 year-old wander at will at the Bristol Faire, meeting at certain times and places based on what shows we were all interested in seeing.  My then eight-year-old daughter stayed pretty close to Mom, but she would play in the kids area or with the Fairies while Mom relaxed on a bench close by.

On the other hand, I've seen kids, mostly teens but sometimes younger, left on their own and determined to use that as an excuse to stir up trouble.  One of my cast members at Bristol a couple of years ago was assaulted by gals probably no more than 13 or 14, who thought it great fun to "kick the peasant."  Fortunately, security was close by and got them backstage for a less-than-happy reunion with their parents.  Some kids - and adults - should not be allowed out of doors without a leash!

Whistler Fred (Lauritzen)

"Get ready for the Whistler.  I'll whistle along on the seventh day."  Ian Anderson

MMario

As a patron I started letting the kids wander by themselves at age 12; but even then we were well known by the vendors, actors, etc - so they (and I) knew that they really weren't "alone" - just out of my sight for a while.

And various faire kids have discovered to their dismay just how many "parents" they have when they've crossed a line....*grin*

Now my great-nieces come to visit my booth - sometimes quite a ways ahead of their baby-sitter; and sometimes patrons are a little shocked at the wee ones who are apparently roaming alone.  But they are NEVER (and I mean NEVER, EVER) out of sight of someone who is looking after their best interest.  Of course, they are beautiful, talented and bright and virtually everyone on site has known and watched them from infancy . . .

Hoowil

Quote from: LadyNiniane on June 12, 2008, 10:32:46 AM
My children were raised as Renbrats.  From age 10 or so on, they have always been allowed to roam at faires where we work and play, but not singly, only in groups of 2 or more (more being better).  Even the teenagers were always told to have a buddy along - while there are no particular abduction fears,  most mid-teen females in garb are at risk of being 'hit on' by drunk patrons who have no clue about their underage status, and it is much easier to avoid or fend off one of those if the teens are in groups (especially if at least one of the group is carrying a staff - they don't need to use it, just carry it with purpose).

Both at faires and at SCA events, I've seen a number of teen-ladies wearing sashes the state in bright red letters "Jail Bait" to help keep the drunken advances away.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Count Adolfo

Quote from: cowgrrl on June 09, 2008, 09:12:09 PM
We've been going to our local Faire for about 4 years now, 2 as season pass holders.  Our kids know the faire very well & I've felt comfortable letting them wander a ways here or there as long as I can see them.

Our oldest, who would be 11 at the time of Faire, has asked to be able to walk around by himself for a few hours next year.  On the one hand, I feel he's pretty safe at Faire & we would give him a cell phone & we would tell him what to say if he is truly in trouble.  On the other hand, I'm his mom & I worry. 

So, if you were a kid at Faire, when were you allowed to go by yourself.  If you're a parent, when did you let your kid walk around by themselves.  Thanks in advance!

I have it easy.
My daughter's 19... she's allowed to go where she pleases, obviously.
My son's 7... he's by my side all the time.

Marietta Graziella

Since our MN group is very active, most of the people know our children by site, at least (they may not remember their names).  I also took the kids around to show them the R/F people at their boothes, and where they can go for help if needed.  They all have "business cards" with a variety of cell numbers, (mom, dad, friends at faire) so even if they can't get in touch with me, they can check in with someone from our group.

It helps having a few extra pairs of eyes around so they know that Mom would get a call if anything happened. However I have complete confidence in my children's behaviour.  I know they will behave respectfully, tip at shows, and use extreme care when going into shops.

Plus, for our group, there is almost always someone at Mac's Pub.  That's the first place my kids would go!
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

CatAshtrophy

In Mundane Topics, there is a post now about somebody on America's Most Wanted that may like to frequent faires, so you might want to keep a pretty close eye. We hate to think that people like that are out there, but they are.

That said, I went to Scarborough Faire for the first time with my high school band at the age of 14. We had to travel in groups of at least three. That way if something happened like an injury, one friend can go get help, and another stays with the injured. We had that system in band on any trips we had. I never had any problems with creepy people for the 3 years we got to go. We had a few check in times throughout the day. If we were not on time, we had to stay with the band director the rest of the time. I would highly recommend a group system.

Count Adolfo

I started a thread on the Rogues' Guild forum about that guy and others... I think it's a good idea for all of us to be armed with the ability to recognize potential threats... those who have been arrested or ejected for violent acts, particularly against children.
I know I've gotten a few pictures of people that, if seen, will be reported to Security immediately.

PurpleDragon

For the first couple of years she attended faire, our daughter was ONLY allowed to be with mom.  In the two years, she has been allowed to wander on her own, and has had to check in with either mom or I at specific times, if she did not check in, she was stuck back with mom since I really am unable to watch her while at the booth. 

Most of the regulars know her and know who she belongs to so we have a good number of pairs of eyes out there as well.  It gives her some freedom and still allows for us to keep some semblance of control over her activities. 
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

BrokenArts

I let my 13 yr old daughter wait in line at Scarborough to do the rock climbing, she loves that.  While we went to go and check out a vendor, we weren't gone very long.
All went fine, it does depend on maturity, being able to talk to your kids about life, its not friendly at times.  She is aware.  I always tell her to be careful, etc. She also has a cell phone, which I am glad she has.  We mainly hang out together, watching the shows, and spending quality time together!  We have a great time.

Hoowil

Faire isn't really any different than things like the state or county fair, or even the mall. Crowds, shops,and such are everywhere. If you feel your kid can handle him/her self, make arrangements to keep touch and meetup points and times, and let'em loose. If they stick around you, great. Granted, I've got a good nine to ten years or so to change my mind on this....
I'd say around 10 ish, maybe a little older. But you have to figure in the kids behavior, and even size, so its different for everyone.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

dragonslayer808

I couldn't help but respond to this thread, any of you who attend Scarborough please advise your kids if they become lost or need help, they only need to go to a food or drink booth or even the dungeon for that matter. All are on a radio communication network that can contact security or first aid.  The people who work these places are instructed on how to contact the proper personal to assist our patrons.  Even when I'm away from the dungeon I am in constant radio contact. So the big scary guy in the skeleton armour is there to help if needed.

MargaretScroggs

I agree when it's said it depends on the maturity level of the kid, but one of the great things about having a family in faire (whether it be actual family or people you've grown close to) is that no matter what there will be someone looking after you. I remember one of the first years I worked for a faire there was a creepy patorn guy that kept bugging me and my mom was on the other side of the shire, but my family was so close to the people in the faire that someone was right there to help me get out of that situation and look after me.
However, if you know you have a child that is a bit hyper or doesn't know what to do, I think it's a good idea to keep them in sight or keep them beside you.

I <3 Faire

CaraGreenleaf

This whole thread, and the fear of lost children brings to mind the incident at RENdezvous this year. A small child was lost, the parents freaked out and asked the first person in garb they saw. That just happened to be one of our own, and within 6 minutes, the child was found by an RFer. And what is most disturbing is that the playtrons (us) were more concerned than the actual "Security" personnel. The cast helped as best they could, but the most active searchers were the RFers who started the relay call around the faire. So, I guess, just hope than at least 5 RFer's are on site at any time, since we can find a kid!
Castleteer, IWG# 3606, MERC# 836, PRIV# 1311
Flog'n M'Crack, Chieftess of O'Cinneide

Corseter, Costumer and Crochete

Bugsy

My oldest is 7.   I think when he's 11, he'll be allowed to walk around by himself.  There are a few factors though - He has been going to faire since he was born (my first time was when I was pregnant with him), and now-a-days, it wouldn't be too awkward for a young kid to have a cell with him or heck even a walkie talkie.  I would definitely give him one or the other.  Also, we have many, many friends at the faire, many of those friends work at the faire.  so, as he walks around, it would kind of be like he has an extra set of eyes on him (of course, I mean that in a GOOD way!).  He's a good kid, I know if I told him "meet me at this place at this time", he would.  so, as long as he holds that same respect in 4 years, he can have at it!
Elvish dragonfly
Castleteer
Bugs'n M'Crack Clan O'Maille
sister of Lady Pegos

Bugsy

Quote from: CaraGreenleaf on September 17, 2008, 05:07:14 PM
This whole thread, and the fear of lost children brings to mind the incident at RENdezvous this year. A small child was lost, the parents freaked out and asked the first person in garb they saw. That just happened to be one of our own, and within 6 minutes, the child was found by an RFer. And what is most disturbing is that the playtrons (us) were more concerned than the actual "Security" personnel. The cast helped as best they could, but the most active searchers were the RFers who started the relay call around the faire. So, I guess, just hope than at least 5 RFer's are on site at any time, since we can find a kid!

We found this little boy, walking around crying.  I stayed with him while my friend got security.  He was only 5, and ironically, had the same name as my son.  His mom showed up pretty quick.  I guess he had just wondered in the opposite direction as her.
Elvish dragonfly
Castleteer
Bugs'n M'Crack Clan O'Maille
sister of Lady Pegos