News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Kids walking around Faire alone?

Started by cowgrrl, June 09, 2008, 09:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imestra

Would that my 13 yr old & friends wanted to be somewhere that wasn't three feet from his mum's skirts. 
Enjoy it while I've got it, as much as I can.  Won't last forever.
K -
When the squire was but a toddler, his very wise daycare sitter advised that the child must be able to respond correctly, without hesitation, with the answers to those safety & behavior questions (what do you do if this, who do you call when that) otherwise - it is known as child endangerment to allow said child on their own.
Spanking good advice, says I.
We are all of us in the gutters, but some of us are lookin at the stars

Libby Stella

The first time I was went to a Faire and was without a parent walking around with me, was when I was 13, but I had my best friend with me at the time also I had a cell phone and my parents and hers were at the Faire with us. I was 14 when I was able to wander by myself with no one else accompanying me, but again, I still had my cell phone and my parents were at the Faire. I was 15 when I was allowed to go to the Faire alone without my parents, but even then, I had a cell phone and friends accompanying me.

It is really up to you and how you think your kid will respond, but like so many had said before, I strongly recommend your son bring a friend (it is more fun that way) and have a walkie-talkie or a cell phone. I would have him call every hour, and meet up every 2 hours...

But, do not do what is out of your comfort zone, because I think your son will feel better knowing that you are comfortable with this freedom.
So if you've never been frog kissing
Then you don't know what you've been missin'
~Frog Kissin' - Brobdingnagian Bards

DragonWing

Quote from: MMario on June 12, 2008, 01:45:27 PM
As a patron I started letting the kids wander by themselves at age 12; but even then we were well known by the vendors, actors, etc - so they (and I) knew that they really weren't "alone" - just out of my sight for a while.

And various faire kids have discovered to their dismay just how many "parents" they have when they've crossed a line....*grin*

Now my great-nieces come to visit my booth - sometimes quite a ways ahead of their baby-sitter; and sometimes patrons are a little shocked at the wee ones who are apparently roaming alone.  But they are NEVER (and I mean NEVER, EVER) out of sight of someone who is looking after their best interest.  Of course, they are beautiful, talented and bright and virtually everyone on site has known and watched them from infancy . . .

I would have to agree with MMario, I thought Fair for my first time was very family friendly and very safe environment. I, and as well as other kids in the 70's were aloud to run around the amusement parks by our selves for brief times. But we always had a meeting place every so often. And those are, I would guess, bigger than most Ren Faires and more dangerous.

I also agree it depends on the maturity of each child. I think that plays a big factor. I am not a parent myself but have been told I would have made a good dad :o
Dragon rider and mage,
(aka Vince)

Catherine DArtois

Just a word of caution -- one does not need to EXIT a faire (or a store or anywhere else for that matter) to harm a child.  So abduction isn't the only concern.  Some of our faires are wooded or have other nooks and crannies into which to drag or lure a youngling.  Children are suceptible to fondling, flashing (although at faires -- well, if it's out ALL the time, is it flashing?), and other actions that take only moments.  (Yes, I know, but even paranoid people have enmies.)  That said, I have a 10 year old and a 4 year old who have been at TRF since they were wee.  We don't let either of them go unaccompanied anywhere.  At Scarby this spring, we did let them play on the playground while we shopped along the way in that line of sight.  I kept visual check every two or three minutes (I know, paranoia will destroy ya).  In a couple of years I can see letting the oldest (and a friend or two) THINK they are on their own.  I just love the "stalking uncle."  I had one of those myself.  What fun to discover he had been lurking about, hiding behind trees and popping around corners for years without us catching on!
Campfire Chili Mistress
Clan McLotofus

Dallan

This is a topic that strikes particularly close to home for me. I'm a very lucky man. My wife and two boys love faire and garb as much as I do. We've been attending for some years now and my answer is that it depends on the faire. Our home faire away from home faire is VARF. It is very intimate and because we have been attending for a number of years in garb many cast and vendors have come to recognize us. Starting 2 years ago when he was 9 we let our oldest sit and play the pirate game alone while we wondered with his little brother. This past year at 11 he had full freedom if he wished. Mind you between cast, vendors and the M'Crack invasion he couldn't go more than a few feet without someone recognizing him.
Our home faire MDRF has been a different story. It's one of the largest in the country and incredibly crowed. It was only this season that he was granted limited freedom. He was allowed to go by himself to a food vendor then come right back to where we were sitting. He was also allowed to play a couple of games by himself while I watched Medieval Babes. Each time he wasn't far away and had to come right back to check in before leaving again. Next year he'll be granted more liberty at MDRF.
When traveling to other faires that we aren't as familiar with he stays with the family.
Fight'n

nliedel

Limited freedom for the eleven year old. He knows the faire well and carries a cell phone in his sock, so he's findable. Also, since I work there and he was there a lot, many of the vendors (MiRF) and cast as well as security knew him. I absolutely trust them with lost kids. They are amazing. He knows when to get out of a situation, so I can trust him to run off to ride the horse, while I work lanes.

That said, he is only allowed to be away twenty minutes at a time.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

LadyRavenwolves

We allowed our two girls (13 & 10 at the time) to walk around together at our Faire.  As you stated, we had been going for years by that time and knew a lot of the performers/vendors/friends.  They have a cell they carry at Faire and know what places to go if things get weird.  They really enjoyed walking around.

We let our youngest two (boy 8 and girl 12) sit at a few shows by themselves this year.  We weren't far away but they were alone and felt all independent.

I would not let them run free at a new Faire but MD is our home.  I feel pretty safe there with their personal maturity as well as the designated safe spots.

Lady Guinevere

I have a 7 year old daughter and a 9 year old son; our home faire is TRF.  I don't believe I'll be comfortable letting my children wander out of sight until they hit their teens and NEVER alone.  I do let them wander 20 feet or so in front of me if they decide they want to visit a booth, ride or game while I'm standing around socializing with friends, but they are always in my line of sight.  They know if I whistle they'd better come running or they're stuck by my side for the duration of the day. 
Clan McLotofus Elder

Carl Heinz

I agree that it probably depends on the event and the child.  We have a lot of second and third generation faire brats who grew up going to faire.  A number of them are, or have been infolved in gigs.  There are also specific supervised play areas for them.

Also, participants are alert for and trained in dealing with misplaced children.  Apparently unaccompanied children will be asked if they know where their parents are.  If they don't, Security is alerted.  If they do, they'll be taken to their parents.  It's bad parental practice for children to visit the privies unattended.

Been doing RPFS for nearly 30 years and I'm not aware of any incidents.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

Count Adolfo

I thank God that, well, between all you wondrous friends we have at Faire and Falcone's keen sense of how dangerous it is to get too far away from Dad... I have a situation similar to Dallan's.  Most know Falcone even better than they know me and I know I'm not the only one who has his back, so to speak.
With the recent issue at LotL with Seamus, safety is first and foremost on our minds down here, as well it should be anyway...
and I think this season I'll be even more hawkish than normal
and thankful, still, for all you extra eyes!

Carl Heinz

I think I should probably elaborate on faire brats.

Most are generally known to the participants and, thus, they have lots of "aunts" and "uncles" to watch out for them.  However, their parents still have the primary responsibility.  The daughter of our Guildmaster, and the daughter of one of the vendors were fast friends and did go from point to point without direct supervision after getting approval.  (The vendor daughter is currently the Queen's understudy and the Guildmaster's daughter works in a stand.  The latter's daughter is fourth generation.)  A number of our faire brats are active as adults--except those who are serving in the military.

Now, finally, my point.  Pre-teen faire brats are known to roam the site, but not singly.  They are also not to do so without permission and should generally be going from point to point.  The teenagers usually have an awareness of faire and, with parental approval, generally have more freedom.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert