News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Writer's block and finding ideas

Started by dfloyd888, December 20, 2010, 01:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfloyd888

I am on cast at Sherwood.  One thing I am trying to figure out are not just original bit parts to get patrons to wonder what is going on, and wander over, but some type of relatively inexpensive item to give out that will be special.

I would do metal coins, but the cost seems very prohibitive -- $1000 for the obverse/reverse dies, $3-$10 per blank stamped, and cash per hour to get the artwork etched as a 3D relief.

Wooden nickels are also an idea, but I think someone else is doing those, so I don't want to step on toes there.

Faerie/dark elf stones are also in use by others.

Writer's block sucks, especially trying to find some new and cool ideas.  I'd love something that isn't too hard on the pocketbook to give out to patrons, but something unique enough that if I give it out, it would be special, and perhaps remembered or cherished.

PollyPoPo

As a dark elf of the northern regions, you might use a stone with something like runic engraving.  I have seen cheap engraved stones in desktop water fountains, but I believe those were more oriental based. 

If you have a good hand with a magic marker, you might be able to use some small river rock and make your own. You could make a fingerprint on one side, a way to share your elven magic.  To seal the marker in you could use a spray sealant like artists use to set pastels and charcoal.

Pottery buttons would work, too, if you or someone you know can make them up.  Just a little blob of clay, press in your fingerprint, then use a stylus to put a rune on it before firing.  Lighter weight than stone and you could add a small hole for stringing.   Some clays can be dried in an ordinary stove oven. 

Whatever you do, you might want to add a year to it.  Kids in particular save these small kinds of things and carry them to faire year after year.

Polly PoPo
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

dfloyd888

Those are some top notch ideas.  I wonder if I can find access to a kiln here in Austin.  Ideally, since I am working full time, I'm trying for something I can contract/commission out for a fair cost, as opposed to hand stamping/runing myself.

Plus, the last time I did pottery, I managed to get a super-duper air bubble in what I made.  When being fired, it exploded in the kiln and completely annihilated every single person's project in that class.

Lady Ellie

See if you can find a ceramic shop. Maybe they would fire them for you.

dfloyd888

I think I should investigate that route, although I'm not sure of any  ceramic shops near meat this point... shouldn't be too hard to find though.  All I care about is that the glazing is food-safe and is chip resistant, so a wee-one putting a stone near the mouth doesn't get any lead or harsh chemicals.