News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Emergency dyeing help

Started by Lady Rebecca, December 24, 2010, 01:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Rebecca

I'm dyeing fabric for the first time right now, and my first two pieces came out perfectly, but my third piece (which was supposed to be a deep periwinkle) came out bright purple. What do I do? I don't have anymore blue dye, and won't be able to get anymore for another 10 hours. Do I leave it sitting in the washer? (I stopped the load midway through) Or is there a way to lighten the purple (I had mixed half a box of blue and half a box of purple dye for 2 yds of linen/rayon blend.)

Someone please help me!

ArielCallista

I'm no eyeing professional,but in my experiences with dying it tends to lighten up a little when you wash it again after its done dyeing...and it lighten a bit more in the dryer...as far as I know you don't need to leave it wet in the washer cuz it will just be further stained by the dye...
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

Adriana Rose

GET IT OUT OF THE DYE BATH!

Leaving it in the dye bath will make the colors darker! Rinse it out several times and see what happens that is the only thing that I can think of.

Good luck!

Lady Rebecca

I was able to fix it! I took it out of the water, drained the washer, then put it in a load of hot water again (rinsing out the remainder from the blue bottle into it). I stopped it halfway through, and drained the water, after the water had once again turned bright purple. That lightened it a tiny bit. Then I ran it through a load of hot water with detergent, and that lightened it significantly. Then I ran it through on just a warm load with detergent, and that lightened it to the color I needed. I hung it out to dry, and it is now a lovely shade of deep periwinkle!

Thanks though!