News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

accurate boots?

Started by animus_divinus, December 24, 2010, 11:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

animus_divinus

does anyone know what type of boots a medieval knight would typically wear?.. im having a hard time finding some that are period accurate, and not part of fantasy

animus_divinus

im not talking about armor boots.. just regular leather boots... it seems to be the tall leather boot with the top curled down, almost like a pirate boot but they dont go below the knee, typically warn completely extended i guess.. trying to find some of these that some company hasnt ruined the design of by adding plastic soles or zippers

animus_divinus

im also looking for something that can hold a spur for horses

Gwen

15th Century riding boot, as seen in the manuscript illustrations of King Rene' of Anjou's Tournament book and 'Book of Love'.

animus_divinus

well then, it looks like the thigh high leather boots i find wouldnt be too far off at all, if i can find a pair that uses laces instead of zippers, and a more period accurate sole, but considering i can do some shoe and boot work i would be able to replace the plastic sole myself with hard leather... and the spurs basically just strap on over the boot

what will be nice is that i do a lot of outdoor activities as well, and ill be wearing such boots regularly, so theyll allow me to step in a considerable depth of mud too :D