News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What to do for audition if you've never acted before?

Started by Love Good Wood, December 31, 2010, 12:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Love Good Wood

I worked faire 20+ years ago at the food courts and had lots of fun with it. This year i thought i might try cast... but what to do for audition... not an actor, solo musician, juggler, ect.

any advice?

dfloyd888

You probably are doing this, but if not, it doesn't hurt.  Get a Drama 101 book and learn the stage mechanics, especially impromptu acting.  Try to get down the terms (stage left, stage right) and what not to do (denying.)

It doesn't hurt to have some type of persona when you audition as well.

renfairephotog

For general advice search through the Create a Character and Performer Topics forums. Faire run auditions in different ways. Some want you to have a monologue ready other want to see how you interact and improv with others. Cast are usually very helpful to those that are eager to learn.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

McGuinness

I would recommend contacting whatever faire it is that you are auditioning for and ask what they are looking for in an audition, or ask cast members from that faire what they've used and recommend. Its always been a 1 min monologue (preferably, but not necessarily, classical) and 16 bars or so of a song, then improv callbacks if they'd like to see more.

jcbanner

It really depends on what the faire is like, and what you are auditioning for.

At my home faire, (St Louis Renfaire)  the cast auditions are set up as an open house.  you tell us that you want to join, and a few things that sound interesting to you, then we'll figure out where you are needed, and teach you how to do it.  we are also a volunteer cast with no experience required.

Other faires have a smaller, but paid cast and expect the people to already know how to act.  There is a lot of variety in what faire's can do to hire thier cast.  Colleen has a good recommendation, call them, and find out what they are looking for.