News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Rum vs. Scotch

Started by Merlin, January 07, 2011, 04:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob of the Lake

Quote from: Merlin on January 09, 2011, 04:03:48 PM

Oh well.... guess I'll have a snort of Highland Park 12 on this cold wet dreary day. That'll warm me up !

I'll trade you the Highland Park for some Cruzan rum if you're up for it!
I came, I saw, I skipped to my lou.
            - Hammy the Squirrel

Merlin

Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

*Teach*

Rum is perfection. Perfection may be added to but it always shines through.
Scotch is imperfect. Mix it with anything and it becomes... blech.

*I know a Scot who is losing his rum rations...*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

eloquentXI

My faire Uncle might disown me for not claiming rum the better but I enjoy both equally.

Mmmm, I'll take Macallan any day.

But- I am a pirate Captain after all.

Not likin' me rum would be heresy, and I expect my crew to mutiny before the thought even passes thru my head.
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Queen Bonnie

Both me and my evil pirate twin drink Scotch! It is perfection!
I am fond of the Spey side single malts- but it is all good!
We do enjoy rum at times.  Try Meyers dark rum and grapefruit juice on a hot day. Refreshing!

Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Molden

You have to make a choice ???

I kid - I LOVE Scotch, and currently have some Glenlivet French Oak Finish (single-malt) for sippin' and enjoyin'.

But I lurvs me some rum as well. More like the spiced rum that's been popular of late, but white's (Bacardi, Ron Rico) and dark's (Meyer's) have their place.

For trying out, a nice spiced rum is Sailor Jerry's Navy Rum. It actually uses the spices and cherrys vs. artificial flavors/colorings used by Captain Morgan's spiced rum. Pretty cost effective for a trial run as well. And easy to pass off if you decide you don't like.

For me, I'm lovin' me some Kraken (black currant spiced rum) - but it ain't for everybody. (Why escapes me...but it's an "is". oh well)
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

SirRichardBear

Its OK Teach I have some 18 year old single malt I'll share with you so you can learn the errors of you ways. ;D

I do like a Rum and coke at times and of course a Hot spiced butter rum is good on a cold night.

But nothing beats a good single malt for simple slipping pleasure.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: SirRichardBear on January 09, 2011, 07:49:05 PM
Teach the reason you don't mix scotch much is because most people know not to mess with perfection.  On the other hand its ok to mix rum after all you can only improve rum.  :P

Where's the damn "like" button!?!
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

DonaCatalina

Quote from: SirRichardBear on January 10, 2011, 10:55:43 AM
Its OK Teach I have some 18 year old single malt I'll share with you so you can learn the errors of you ways. ;D

I do like a Rum and coke at times and of course a Hot spiced butter rum is good on a cold night.

But nothing beats a good single malt for simple slipping pleasure.
I had one shot of a 25 year old MacAllan once. Just the smell was like christmas eve and new years all rolled into one. The sherry oak gives it a hint of nuts and vanilla on top of its base smokey flavor.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Kruzar

I personally drink both, but normally when I goto to just drink something I start at Rum.  I personally prefer a silver or white rum to spiced rum, but they both have their place in my cabinet.  I find that the white rum is much cleaner and always makes for a good mix, and you can put it in just about everything.  Spiced rum is always great in darker mixers, and is a really good in Coke.

As for my favorites, I actually go Puerto Rican for my favorites and that means Bacardi.  My favorite is actualy Don Q rum, but can't get it except on the Island.  And if you ever make it Puerto Rico, I highly recommend going to the Bacardi factory and getting some of their aged rum.

But it is all good...
Gentleman Rogue

Merlin the Elder

Let me know when you folks are ready to talk about a real sipping pleasure—Single Barrel Jack Daniels. I appreciate you Scots and your Scotch, and you pirates with your rum, but we wizards like our Jack Daniels!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Woodland Artisan

I was wondering when you were going to get to that, Merlin.    Scotch and Rum are all nice, and all, for cocktail parties and such.  But, a sippin whiskey is kind to the soul and quick to the fight (as my ol pappy used to say).

A dear, sweet, kind and somewhat bat-foolish relative of the family out East presented to the rest of the family out here in the sticks of the Ozark Mountains precisely one of those barrels you mentioned for a holiday tradition near on a year ago.  Oh, yes.  Quite the escalation of tradition that year!  Our thoughts were, and still are, that he intended it to be a good stash on his infrequent pass-throughs in the area.  Nope, we've still not cracked into it.  Just admired it from near (quite near at times) and far (yet, still within sight at all times).  Afterall, how does one merely peak beneath the veneer drapery of something so wonderful and desirable ...  without ripping the whole of the velvety covering off and consuming every last drop?   ;)

JD Single Barrel, Gentleman Jack and Makers Mark 46 (bourbon) are staples in the family.  We're just simple hill people and haven't really appreciated the taste of the Irish, Canadian, etc. whiskeys.  But, when it's time to actually drink for the sake of drinking instead of with polite company ... well, it's out to the cellar.

Hercules

While at the Colorado RenFest I was told to try "Bloodberry" rum. You steep bloodberry tea (linky below) into rum (found coconut tastes best). Let it steep on a countertop for 2 weeks (or 5 hours in the Texas summer sun). Good Halloween drink too cause it does come out blood red. 

http://spicetradersteas.com/teas.htm
Save the Earth (it's the only one with beer)!

Kruzar

The Tea Trader is my only source for teas, and the stuff he carries is really good... one more to try... his Pirate Chai tea done in a similar preparation in Captain Morgans...  now that is a drink made for a Pirate. 
Gentleman Rogue

LadyStitch

The PP got a taste of real Glenlevit 18 a year ago.  He refuses to drink the other less stuff since. We have had Johnny walker blue before but to be honest, I wasn't THAT impressed.
He got hooked on sailor jerry's during a pirate show he was doing, but then we met teach this past spring at Rendevous, and tried Pyrate.  He is hooked on that now.
His sipping pleasure is JD Single barrel, and to be honest it is the only whisky  I will drink straight up.  As for makers mark, it is banned from our house, not because it is a bad drink but because of a bad bad expereince a few years back. nuf said... :-\

There is something about having a simple glass of a fine drink and sitting around chatting with friends that is missing in these times.  Every one seems to want to drink to get a buzz not drink to enjoy the flavors of the drink and company.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.