News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Rum vs. Scotch

Started by Merlin, January 07, 2011, 04:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin the Elder

I'm impressed, Lady Stitch. JD Single Barrel is not nearly as smooth going down as Gentleman Jack, but is much tastier. (It's stronger, too, in case you haven't compared proofs). Nim will drink Jack straight on occasion, GJ no problem, but JDSB has a little more "umph" to it and she's not crazy about sipping it straight.

I had my first Jack Daniels 44 years ago. I don't drink other whiskeys anymore and probably haven't for at least 25 years. I've been a Tennessee Squire these past 18 years, which deeds me a tiny portion of land in Lynchburg, Tennessee at the distillery.

If you and PP are going to be at Scarby for opening weekend, I will have something for you...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Bob of the Lake

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on January 14, 2011, 03:05:32 PM
If you and PP are going to be at Scarby for opening weekend, I will have something for you...

Some rum, perhaps? :D (ducking and running from Merlin)

I came, I saw, I skipped to my lou.
            - Hammy the Squirrel

Merlin the Elder

YOU BETTER RUN, you pond-scum sucking so-and-so.... ;)

Rum has its place, Bob O, but not in my tummy!

LadyStitch

Coem heck or high water we will be at opening day Scarby  ;D
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Tom

Just want to say that I tried Macallen 18 year old single malt tonight and was impressed.

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk.
Thanks,

Tom

A.K.A. - Lady Serenas husband

DonaCatalina

Woo Hoo-way to go Tom.

I just had a non-scotch drinker ask me for a recommendation on a scotch. I told him about the Macallan, but I had to admit if the person he was buying for is a casual drinker, Glenmorangie or Glenlivet might be a better choice.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

no...if you want to entice someone to Scotch, it should be good Scotch. I don't like Scotch for the most part, but Macallan 18 is pretty darn good!

BLAKDUKE

Merlin the Elder:

I'm sorry sir but I have to beg to differ with you.  Crown Royal is most definitly not a bourbon it is a Rye whiskey and can be found in the rye section of most good liqour stores.  Bourbon, by law can only be made in the U.S. and Crown Royal by law can only be made in Canada.   

The BLAKDUKE
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

BLAKDUKE

Sorry again M.T.E:

I have a very well stocked home bar with both blended and single malt scotches and a fine array of ryes but I would not waste the space it would take to put in a bottle of J.D. of any kind.  I've had weasel snot and ox sweat that tasted better.
PATOOOIE ON J.D.

Now for single malt try Usquebah, now that is mothers milk.  I will however have to try some rum I have never had any.

Let the drinking wars begin ...................

The Blakduke

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: BLAKDUKE on March 03, 2011, 04:36:15 PM
Merlin the Elder:

I'm sorry sir but I have to beg to differ with you.  Crown Royal is most definitly not a bourbon it is a Rye whiskey and can be found in the rye section of most good liqour stores.  Bourbon, by law can only be made in the U.S. and Crown Royal by law can only be made in Canada.   

The BLAKDUKE
I misspoke, Blakduke. There is most definitely a difference between Canadian Whiskey and Bourbon. Most people don't realize that there is also a distinct difference between bourbon and sour mash whiskey. Jack Daniels is NOT a bourbon. But in all fairness, we do all have different palates. If you've tasted weasel snot and ox sweat...well, that's your thing, but no one here is knocking another's taste...we're expressing our preferences.

mehan

A very fine gentleman wandered by our group visiting TNRF - and quietly produced a flask, not saying a word.  What was in that flask was mighty fine.  I asked him what it was... "Usquebah" he replied and just as quietly walked away.

When I discovered later, just exactly what and how rare Usquebah was, I was astounded that he would have just shared it like that with complete strangers.   Faire folk, the best in the world

BLAKDUKE

Mehan:

If I may make so bold as to ask when this was.  I did this way back in the day, when a bunch of scotsmen were vendors at TNRF and I broke open a ceramic bottle of this nectar of the gods at cast party that evening.  I managed to save a bit in my flask.

The BLAKDUKE

mehan

Sure - to be honest, your profile pic kinda reminds me of the kind man.  It was memorial day weekend of either 2007 or 2008.  And yes, if you were that man, know you made a huge impression on me and years too late, may I say "grammercy". 

LadyStitch

The fastest I have ever seen friends made was when a group of us walked from camp to camp at TRF with JD single Barrel and a bottle of Pyrate rum for sharing.  I got some of the best beer I ever had out of that trade.  ;D

It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Queen Bonnie

My earliest faire memory was when a total stranger shared a taste of great scotch from a flask with Lord A and I at our first trip to TRF! We were hooked! I love the kindness and generosity of rennies!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!