News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Attaching Faerie wings?

Started by ArielCallista, January 09, 2011, 02:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArielCallista

So I'm in the early stages working on wings...I generally know what I want them to look like and how to make the wings themselves (thanks to the many threads about them here) but I'm stuck on how to attach them...I've seen a few minor posts about making a U shape in the wire connecting the two wings and tucking all of that down the back of your corset...so I have a few questions about that...

How big should the connecting U be?

Is there a shape that might work better than the U?

Also I'm rather small framed so should I worry about the wire digging into the bones in my back? I have back problems as it is and dont want to make them worse...

And the biggest hitch in this plan...I want to wear a cropped bodice with it and have more floaty fabric in the waistish area...How can I manage this U shaped wire concept if I'm not wearing a standard corset to tuck it in to?

Any ideas, suggestions, advice would be much appreciated... :)
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

Stasiakatt

I've seen wings attached by sliding the "U" wire into a bodice or corset, with strapes, or with industrial strength velrco.  I think it depends on the shape and weight of the wings, the way they are made, what top they are being attached to, and the look you are going for. Try a google or other net search for "how to make fairy wings" and you'll find a lot of tutorials with different ways of attaching them.
You may want to post this in the Magic, Myth and Legend --> Faerie Ring area of the forum.
Hope this helps.
Ann

dbaldock

You might try contacting forum member C Dragonworks for some hints on wings.  Cat made some really cool wings that I shot some photos of at TRF.

Cat, with her Wings down.
(Click on the image to see the full size 4288x2848 photo)

DSC_0005 by David.R.Baldock, on Flickr

Cat, with her Wings up.
(Click on the image to see the full size 4288x2848 photo)

DSC_0232 by David.R.Baldock, on Flickr
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

ArielCallista

As for the style of wings I'm going for something like these

I'm not making these exactly but this is the closest pic I have found to my plan...

I really like the idea of using the wire U so you can't see how they are attached...making them more believable and whatnot...My main concern is how to make this work with a cropped bodice...similar in length and style to the Khadija bodice from Moresca...I've had wings with straps and they always dig into my shoulders and armpits...and i dont want to put velcro on a bodice...since I will be using it for other things beyond the faerie

I plan on doing the wire/shrink wrap type of method for the wings...so long as I can find cellophane in the colors I want...
Pretty. Odd.

Trillium

Perhaps use a wide, squarish U to give  more support since it won't be as long as some are.  Also, have someone measure the length of the back of your bodice when you're wearing it so you can be sure you don't make the brace longer than your bodice.
Got faerie dust?

ArielCallista

I drew up a couple bodice designs for the bodice I'm making to wear with it...I'm thinking a racerback style so the bodice only goes between the wings...or have it lace up at like the two side backs so the wings poke thru the lacing...I drew some pics but I can't post them on my phone...do either of these sound like a better idea over the other...or does anyone have netters ideas
Pretty. Odd.

ArielCallista

Heres the sketch of the back ideas...Would one work better than the other? I dunno...opinions...something...I'm kind of stuck...

Pretty. Odd.

gypsylakat

The back side lacing sounds really neat with the little keyholes.
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."