News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Washing embroidered fabric

Started by Lady Rebecca, February 18, 2011, 11:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Rebecca

I'm going to start making an 18th c quilted petticoat later this week, and I'm using a home dec fabric I picked up a couple years ago. It's some sort of a cotton blend (is my guess), very soft, but with a slightly heavier drape, and it has embroidered leaves on it. But the threads of the leaves are all connected on the back of the fabric, so that there are stripes of loose threads running the length of the fabric (loose for about 4-5" at a time, before another leaf). Can I wash this in the washing machine? If not, what is the best option for prewashing the fabric?

Adriana Rose

I would wash it on the delicate cycle. 

Or if you dont want to risk it fill the tub and hand wash it.

CenturiesSewing

I would hand wash with cool water, with the threads along the back being that long I wouldn't risk having the washing machine chew on it.

Lady Rebecca

If I'm handwashing it, do you think it's acceptable to just cut the couple yards off that I'm using for this project, and leave the rest for later?

gem

Yes. 'Cause if you'd only bought a couple of yards, you'd be washing that, and the rest would still be sitting on a bolt somewhere!  :D