News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Rocky Horror Picture Show movie remake (again)

Started by Valiss, January 31, 2011, 01:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valiss

A couple of years ago, MTV was looking to remake the Rocky Horror Picture Show. In fact, I think there was a topic in this forum about it. Well, MTV has since droppped the project, but the idea of a Rocky Horror remake lives on. Here's some info:

Studios 'court Glee creator' for Rocky Horror Picture Show remake

"It holds the record for the longest theatrical release in history, having never left cinemas since its 1975 debut. Now the Rocky Horror Picture Show could be set for a new lease of life after it was reported that studio heads are courting Ryan Murphy, creator of the TV series Glee, to take charge of a remake.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show has made more than $100m (63m) worldwide since its release, and still draws audiences to midnight screenings at which fans dress in costume and talk back to the screen. The original film was written by cast member Richard O'Brien and was based on the British stage version, with many of the cast reprising their roles.

An earlier attempt at a remake, by MTV and Sky Movies, floundered at the development stage. O'Brien brought a pseudo-sequel, the less successful Shock Treatment, to cinemas in 1981 and later wrote what was intended to be a direct follow-up, Revenge of the Old Queen, which never made it to the production stage."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/oct/19/rocky-horror-picture-show-glee

Thoughts?

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

This was the film that got me into Costuming as a profession. I have not looked back.

25 years and 40 pounds ago, I was dressed as the Sweet Transvestite. For me, there will be no Frank N' Furter like Tim Curry played him.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Merlin the Elder

Pardon my ignorance, but why would a studio want to take a movie, that is still showing in the theaters after 35 years, that is a cult classic, that has spawned stage shows, and remake it? If it were my money, I wouldn't even consider it.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Valiss

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on January 31, 2011, 01:31:40 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but why would a studio want to take a movie, that is still showing in the theaters after 35 years, that is a cult classic, that has spawned stage shows, and remake it? If it were my money, I wouldn't even consider it.

Well, consider this: Hollywood is rebooting the Spider-man movies. Yes, the ones with Toby are now old, I guess, and they are filming an all new story with new actors. If they are willing to do that to a movie that came out in the last decade, then this move shouldnt surprise us. Still doesnt make it right, though.  :)

Merlin the Elder

Perhaps, but I don't see the Spiderman series as being anywhere near cult status. Hey, it's just me...and nobody is paying me for my opinion!  ;)

I'm not against remakes, reboots, et cetera... I liked the Star Trek reboot. I also pretty much liked the new True Grit (mea culpa). But while Star Trek started a cultural "revolution," the original series was pretty lame, and I'm a major Trekkie, so don't jump on me for that statement! ...and True Grit had no place in pop culture, then or now.

RHPC, on the other hand, at the time it was produced, wasn't relying heavily on technology to make the story work...it was all character-driven. Sometimes you can improve on something that's already great (Earth, Wind, & Fire's cover of Got to Get You Into My Life), sometimes you cannot (remember New Coke?)

I won't begrudge them trying, but they're taking on a massive task (beating the original)!

irish

Remake Rocky Horror Picture Show?
What a transvestite-ity!  :P
Excuse me while I 'time warp'....... :o
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

Anna Iram

Kathleen, that is a whole 'nother side to you I never suspected. That rocks. :) That was my favorite dressing to go out record along with The Ramones.

Agree on it most likely being a dud. I love it's  glam / punk rockness. You can't repro that...and goodness help us not a Glee esc Rocky...

Trillium

I can't imagine re-doing Rocky.  To be quite honest, the movie itself is horrible.  It's the interaction that made it fun and such a cult hit. 
Got faerie dust?

Adriana Rose

The original or bust! Tim Curry is the one and only!

To redo it would be a disaster

Merlin the Elder

Anna Iram

*Anna pulls out an anti-matter lazer gun and shoots Trill.*

Tink

I don't like this idea, not one bit!  Leave us with the greatness of Mr. Curry, and don't mess it all up!
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

NoBill Lurker

So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

One of the Best Cult Classics ever made!!

Oh yes Anna! For several Halloweens I dressed up as Frank N'Furter, even to go to Midnight showings at the Uptown in Minneapolis with friends during the summer, as well as to theaters in neighboring states.. People would often  dress up as their favorite characters. It was a great time.

NO RHPS remake!!!! The original is perfect campy fun as it is!!!
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Becky10

Haha NoBill that made me hug my computer!

When I first heard of the MTV remake i went into like an hour long rant about how awful an idea it was which just confused my friends until I made them watch it. This is like them remaking Footloose. You just dont mess with some things.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on