News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Making neat shoulder straps

Started by gem, January 18, 2011, 03:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

This is something that seems to be one of my remaining technique hurdles: my shoulder straps always turn out, um, kind of cr@ppy. So I'm looking for some pointers on refining my technique so my straps look as good as the rest of my garment.

I typically use this method of turning bodices through the straps, and then finish the straps by hand. But I have trouble getting the straps tight enough (even when they've fit in the mockup), and also getting a consistent width and a nice even finish overall. You can see in this picture where the bodice strap goes so ripply/wide at the join that it almost looks like there's a tab/wing/epaulet there! (There are some other fit issues with that bodice, but we'll concentrate on the straps for now!)

I'm working on a kirtle project right now, and I'm trying to decide whether to make integral straps, as above, or have the straps tie in back. Tying in back would be easier, as I wouldn't have to worry about the shoulder seam issue, but I haven't decided yet. In any event, I want to pipe the edges, which I think would be even trickier to get nice clean results with.

So. Any tips or discussion about shoulder straps? I've never tried the Margo Anderson style of straps where they go all the way over your shoulders and are sewn down at the front or back. Is that easier? But then what do you do about that seam?

Gramercy!!

ArielCallista

I'm no pro at bodices, but what I've done in the past is sew the shoulder seams first and leave the sides seams open...then you dont pull as much through the straps...just the two front pieces (assuming it only laces up the front)...the side seams are easier to sew closed after flipping than the shoulder seams...theyre larger and flatter...so it can be done almost entirely on a machine and you just leave a 4' ish hole on the lining side to handstitch shut...that way the outside is all machines stitched and consistent...

Another option...bind it...screw flipping things
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

gem

Ok... that's how I turned the Much Ado vests I made for Milord and his dad. I'll have to have another look at the pattern and try to remember how that worked.

Any other advice?

Gwen aka Punstergal

I cheat.. all my straps that don't lace are attached via a button on the inside of the bodice front and back, about an inch below the edge of the bodice. I did it once on a whim, trying to make a bodice look like I had a lacy underthing on under it, and liked it so much I kept doing it.. now all my straps are mix-and-match, which can be fun :)
"Hell hath no fury like an enraged Gryphon Master"

Lady Toadflinger

Gwen, What a neat idea! It makes the straps adjustable, as well as changeable! Hmmm... Do I need a new bodice?...
keeper of the royal menagerie