News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

fey complaints?

Started by groomporter, February 07, 2011, 10:09:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

groomporter

Wonder if any Renfairs have gotten any wacko complaints about Twig the Fairy or her cousins saying that they shouldn't allow portrayals of satanic magical creatures?

I once met a woman who had written a children's book about fairies and someone told her something along those lines, so she replied back with the story that fairies were angels who just weren't bad enough to send to hell after the revolt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy#Demoted_angels
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Trillium

I've never heard comments like that!!!  I have had a few people ask if I was a bad fae because I have horns.  Do I really look evil?!?!?
Got faerie dust?

Adriana Rose

Really dont people have anything else to worry about?

Merlin the Elder

I have a relation that has a problem with wizards, i.e., Harry Potter stories. Relates them to witchcraft, which she then relates to evil, not realizing that Wiccan's are not evil by any stretch of the imagination. I'm sure fae would fall in the same category. Unfortunately, over the last few centuries, churches, particularly the Roman Catholic Church, have altered translations of some of the books of the Bible to such a degree that the meaning is entirely different in English than in the original languages.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

serenamoonsilver

Quote from: groomporter on February 07, 2011, 10:09:33 AM
Wonder if any Renfairs have gotten any wacko complaints about Twig the Fairy or her cousins saying that they shouldn't allow portrayals of satanic magical creatures?

I once met a woman who had written a children's book about fairies and someone told her something along those lines, so she replied back with the story that fairies were angels who just weren't bad enough to send to hell after the revolt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy#Demoted_angels

Actually, I had someone use that argument to explain to me why fairies are evil/satanic.  Obviously, it it's not good, it must be evili ::)

Rani Zemirah

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere about a few Faires having the occasional ultra-conservative Christian group come stand outside the gates and protest because the Faire allows fantasy creatures either on cast, or just going in through the gates. 

Some peoples' kids...  ::) 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

auntiegiggles

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on February 07, 2011, 05:41:19 PM
I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere about a few Faires having the occasional ultra-conservative Christian group come stand outside the gates and protest because the Faire allows fantasy creatures either on cast, or just going in through the gates. 

Some peoples' kids...  ::) 

Or some kids parents    ;D   :D
Everything goes better with giggles

ArielCallista

This all reminds me of when Harry Potter was banned from uber christian school cuz its "promoted the practice of satanic rituals"...and really it just added to the popularity...

Some fey are evil...its part of their character (mine destroys your dreams and turns them into nightmare *giggle*) but that doesn't mean that the individual portraying that fey condones any sort of illegal or immoral acts...people need to learn that when it comes down to it this is just a giant game of dress up that we've dragged thousands of other people in on... :)
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

saphire_glade

I have gotten complaints about not looking like/acting like a faerie. Since I am a loud pants wearing girl faerie after all. That I am stealing Twigs attention, bit, spot, fans, etc.... *sharing the same home fair is freaking hard when you are sharing with her, love her but she has some nutty fans*

I have heard that I am not a real faerie...

but never have I heard that I am evil because I am protraying a faerie... I have been called evil because of an occasional glitter bomb though... but seriously it is kind of evil of me....

But yeah that is the first time I heard it...
Bubbles are pure magic... if you don't believe me watch any man, woman, or child chase a bubble down the road.

BubbleWright

The Pennsylvania Faerie Festival at Spoutwood Farm has had anti-faerie protestors along its fence for quite a few years. Back in 2007 I reported the following:

"The only damper on the day was the group of 'anti-faerie' protestors and their haranguing everyone who passed by. Basically they were telling all who entered the festival that they would be condemned to HELL for rejecting GOD'S WORD. Most people ignored them but they were able to provoke a number of people. Since they started from the De Fide postition that they were absolutely right, no dialog could be had. And if those they provoked responded rudely, they fell back to the position that 'THEY were being persecuted for their beliefs'. Anyone who disagreed with them was labeled Satan's spawn, a lesbian or a homo. I brought my bubble machine over to the pathway into the Festival and made bubbles for the protestors (who were on the other side of the property fence next to the road). The leader of the group tried to provoke me by making snide remarks about me to his cohorts. I smiled and made bubbles. He then directed his invective directly to me. I smiled and made bubbles. The whole time people were entering and leaving the Festival, many stopping to enjoy the bubbles. Finally the leader moved down the fence line about 20 feet.

I respect their right to freedom of speech and freedom of religion. I strongly suspect, though, that if these people ran the country, they would have no hesitation about placing the Festival attendees in a gas chamber and finishing the work in a crematorium. They are arrogant, mean and small minded."
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Tink

I've heard all the anti-Potter stuff, but I've never heard of people protesting against faeries.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

Rani Zemirah

When my niece was 7 years old, the Nazarene University preschool she attended wouldn't let her dress up as Glenda the Good Witch for their "Harvest costume party" (in lieu of Halloween) because, well... Glenda's a WITCH!!!  ::)  My niece had the prettiest little pink dress, wand and crown, her golden hair was all curled, blue eyes sparkling, and her little cheeks were just as pink as could be with excitement... and they told her that any witch, even a GOOD witch, was EVIL, and the BIBLE says that witches should be put to death. 

Needless to say, but she was crushed...
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Tink

Can anyone tell me exactly where in the bible it says anything against witches?  (I'm actually interested in knowing what it says)
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - W. Shakespeare

Merlin the Elder

Exodus 22:18 is the most familiar. King James version: "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live."

See other references at http://www.religioustolerance.org/wic_bibl2.htm

It's simply that the word "witch" is the closest our language can come to what was written in the Hebrew, although it's not an accurate translation.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Rani Zemirah

Exodus 22:18 (King James Version)

18Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

Deuteronomy 18:10-11 (King James Version)

10There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch.
11Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede