News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

fey complaints?

Started by groomporter, February 07, 2011, 10:09:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmbyrretheFae

I've never had any complaints that I've heard and that is saying a LOT since I'm a guy.  The uber conservatives get all rankled at gender-bending more than they do about fae characters.

Me
"Because I can" ;)

Rani Zemirah

But how many of them could actually tell you're a guy when you're in costume?!?  My daughter and I certainly had no idea until we were told by someone else! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

DonaCatalina

Quote from: raevyncait on February 09, 2011, 08:31:31 PM
there are also those with asthma or other breathing issues for whom inhaling glitter can be dangerous, I have a couple of friends with that very issue.

It's also incredibly difficult to get out of velvet and other costume fabrics, and I have a friend who is a professional performer on the circuit and if he sees any glitter on me, I'm SOL if I want a hug, because he's not going to touch me for fear of getting glitter into his costume.
*cross my fingers* so far I have not been glitter bombed. Please don't glitter bomb me. Not only do I have issues with allergies and asthma, it is indeed impossible to get out of velvets.

So unless you want a bill for a $1200.00 dress, please don't glitter bomb me.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: EmbyrretheFae on February 11, 2011, 08:42:52 AM
I've never had any complaints that I've heard and that is saying a LOT since I'm a guy.  The uber conservatives get all rankled at gender-bending more than they do about fae characters. ...

Well, that totally blows me away! I had no idea!  But that explains a statement in another thread where you said that you wouldn't be recognized... Colour me impressed!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

saphire_glade

Quote from: Sitara on February 11, 2011, 12:41:15 AM
And I'm still pulling glitter out of my stuff.  It is embedded in the leather conditioner on his armor and will NEVER come out.

And with that I am going to run...

EEEKK!

Though I can tell you it is the Jaycees you need revenge on... they hired me.

Quote from: DonaCatalina on February 11, 2011, 09:56:17 AM
Quote from: raevyncait on February 09, 2011, 08:31:31 PM
there are also those with asthma or other breathing issues for whom inhaling glitter can be dangerous, I have a couple of friends with that very issue.

It's also incredibly difficult to get out of velvet and other costume fabrics, and I have a friend who is a professional performer on the circuit and if he sees any glitter on me, I'm SOL if I want a hug, because he's not going to touch me for fear of getting glitter into his costume.
*cross my fingers* so far I have not been glitter bombed. Please don't glitter bomb me. Not only do I have issues with allergies and asthma, it is indeed impossible to get out of velvets.

And typically Fey don't walk around randomly glitter bombing people. Either we need to be asked or you need to somehow have done something *normally not nice* to deserve it.

And well.. I do try to avoid the velvet. Just didn't know that it would stick so well to leather...

*AGAIN WITH THE EEEKKKING AND THE HIDING*
Bubbles are pure magic... if you don't believe me watch any man, woman, or child chase a bubble down the road.

Sitara

I'm annoyed by it rather than angry, I wear a lot of velvet. Revenge has been planned for our lovely fellow Jaycees who have already outed themselves as being instigators, as well as a certain member of the Royal Guard.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

Captain Jack Wolfe

^^^^^  THIS!

I'm keeping a giant fly swatter in the shop.  Getting glitter out of suede is something I don't want to go through again.

That goes for me as the Doctor as well.  The Doctor isn't a fan of fairies, or pears.  I hate pears.
OK, Twig gets a pass, because she's a fan and knows better than to glitter me.
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

saphire_glade

Quote from: Sitara on February 11, 2011, 04:33:35 PM
I'm annoyed by it rather than angry, I wear a lot of velvet. Revenge has been planned for our lovely fellow Jaycees who have already outed themselves as being instigators, as well as a certain member of the Royal Guard.

Oh oh oh.... I love revenge... just let me know how it goes, and if you need any dust :P
Bubbles are pure magic... if you don't believe me watch any man, woman, or child chase a bubble down the road.

Stalkwell

Quote from: DonaCatalina on February 11, 2011, 09:56:17 AM

$1200.. you get off cheeeheeep!

Do you know what just ONE piece of glitter does to a $2500 lens?  Try 3 or more $2000 lenses that are on you at the same time, and $5k for a camera body.  Oh yeah... you also get to THROW AWAY whatever garb you were wearing at the time... ALL OF IT!  Even if the lenses can be cleaned (oh, $200-$500 per lens, same for the body), they are never as good as before.  So you dump the lenses on e-bay and take a blood bath to buy new ones.

To a photographer, glitter IS assault.  Quite frankly, most of those who own glitter couldn't pay for the damages to my gear if they had to.  And, sadly, they think 'but it was cute!!!' is justification.

For those who know and respect me/my property/ and my craft, thanks for keeping the glitter away... 
For those who don't, it's very simple... don't do it to me, and I won't come after you legally.

YMMV

Stalk well...
Enthralled with the Faeriebox...

dfloyd888

The ironic thing is that at the renfaires I've been to, it wasn't the cast faeries who nailed me with glitter.  It was other patrons, such as one weekend at TRF, one patron swinging this can that looked like the powdered detergent at all and sundry, nailing them with cheap, metallic glitter.  That, and getting the eye hostile stuff in the air caused me to duck for cover.

The metallic stuff would completely trash any camera or electronic device.  It made me glad my cellphone was in my car at the time, well away from that, because it likely would have shorted it out.  Had that patron at TRF nailed a photographer, it likely would be lawsuit time easily.  Even if the guy spraying the metal bits didn't know they were bad, there is something called gross negligence.

As for what I use, if I nail someone.  I use confetti eggs that use colored paper.  It is eye safe, won't get into lungs easily, and disintegrates if it does, won't short out cameras, and can be easily blown off of lenses.  It also doesn't stay on velvet and other expensive materials.

One random question to Stalkwell:  What camera body/lenses do you use?  If you use a Canon, by chance do you have the 50mm f1.0 EF lens?  I'm just curious what people use for renfaire photography.

Adriana Rose

One of my neighbors at faire who is a leather worker goes postal when people start playing with bubbles. The soultion stains leather by the by.

My sitter calls glitter the herpes of arts and crafts.

raevyncait

I've only ever been glittered once, and it wasn't particularly a glitterbomb, so much as a toss at me, which landed on my face & in my hair, it was a VENDOR who was hawking fairy dust and various other trinkets.  When my friend I was with & I got ready to leave & said our goodbyes to the performer friend we'd gone specifically to see, he didn't hug me at all. I mentioned it to my friend and she told me it was the glitter on my face and hair, which he would have hell trying to get out of his costume. No worries, I learned my lesson, and if I see people with glitter, I simply manage not to touch them, and if it appears that they are going to toss it, I move away.

And Adriana Rose, I agree with your sister! I am STILL finding glitter from that encounter, and it was in November of 2007!
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Rani Zemirah

Well, uhhh... guess I changed the subject from religion, huh?  :o  My glitter comment was really just meant as a joke...  :-\ 

There's actually something just a little magical about that bit of glimmer and shine you get on your fingers from one of Twig's favors, or the twinkle on the tip of my little girls nose from the hug she got from Queen Titania... or Queen Bonnie.  :D  I don't even mind the very powdery sort on our garb, but I guess that's also one of the reasons I hesitate to step up into Nobles, or really even upper class merchant.  It's fun to wear pretty things... but I do like not having to worry about what the consequences of a simple hug might be.  :) 

I think we'd better start giving hugs by class from now on!  Royals and Nobles first, then Gentry, Merchants and peasants... and THEN our Magical friends!  ;)  Who knew that glitter could lead to segregation?!?  :D 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Becky10

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on February 11, 2011, 11:39:23 PM

I think we'd better start giving hugs by class from now on!  Royals and Nobles first, then Gentry, Merchants and peasants... and THEN our Magical friends!  ;)  Who knew that glitter could lead to segregation?!?  :D 

All this time textbooks would have us think it was family and wealth that built the classes, now we know the truth.
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: Becky10 on February 11, 2011, 11:46:49 PM
Quote from: Rani Zemirah on February 11, 2011, 11:39:23 PM

All this time textbooks would have us think it was family and wealth that built the classes, now we know the truth.

LMAO!!! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede