News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Advice on Approaching Courts and Camps?

Started by Rosamundi, February 07, 2011, 10:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosamundi

Advice, please - and you can giggle at me if you want!  :-)

Even though I've got a theater background and a decent faire character, I feel shy about visiting courts and encampments. At one recent faire, some of the encamped enactors were absolutely lovely -- the Biggins family was downright delightful, kisses to you all! -- but others seemed downright insular.

In the lanes, or at vendors' booths, I'm a big fan of "march up with a big smile and compliment somebody's garb."  And that works great.  So am I, perhaps, overlooking some unwritten rules of etiquette in approaching a court or a camp?
Garb: lovingly hand-washed, gently pressed, and hung in climate-controlled closet. Mundane clothing: usually on floor.

Master James

Well I can only speak to court as I am a member of the court for the Virginia Renaissance Faire.  Unless the court is in the middle of doing a show, you should be able to interact with them without issue.  There is no reason why any court should shun you or talk down to you in anyway, whether or not you do it properly.  If they do, then shame on them.  We as cast are there to entertain and that includes interacting with the guests in a positive way to give them the best experience possible whenever we can.  Of course, if they in the middle of a planned show, please be respective of their performance and do not interupt.  However once the show has ended, unless they are required to be someplace else, the court should be available to interact with you.  The whole reason I joined cast is because a courtier spent 15 minutes talking to me one day about the goings on in court and I decided that I wanted to do that.  Good luck and I hope you have a much better experience in the future.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

irish

Well, if you ever venture to Sterling Faire, you will be approached by Royalty and the like!  :)
Everyone is so friendly! Telling someone that their garb is so nice, makes them feel awesome and they have a 'smile in their step', after that!   ;D
The vendors are very polite, they love to share their wares and enjoy the compliments about them.  :D
Always feel free to walk on up and say 'good morrow' to anyone in the shire!Of course if they are acting, just wait a bit, BUT if they are acting in a lane....watch out! You may soon be in the middle of it all!!!!  ;D
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

lys1022

Quote from: Rosamundi on February 07, 2011, 10:49:14 AM
Advice, please - and you can giggle at me if you want!  :-)

Even though I've got a theater background and a decent faire character, I feel shy about visiting courts and encampments. At one recent faire, some of the encamped enactors were absolutely lovely -- the Biggins family was downright delightful, kisses to you all! -- but others seemed downright insular.

In the lanes, or at vendors' booths, I'm a big fan of "march up with a big smile and compliment somebody's garb."  And that works great.  So am I, perhaps, overlooking some unwritten rules of etiquette in approaching a court or a camp?

I may be wrong, but from the phrasing of this it sounds like you may be referring to a California / West Coast faire?  They tend to be the ones that have encampments and so on, whereas it is more of a Midwest and Eastern tendency to have a performing company that just roams the grounds for the most part and does the occasional scripted show.

I've not much experience with the West Coast style show, so I can't help much there other than to suggest that you find someone near the "edge" of the compound who is doing something interesting and ask them something about it when they look your way?

The other replies have really covered things for the performing company style faire, I think.

Not much help, I'm afraid, but hopefully you find something that works and feels comfortable for you! :)
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

Rosamundi

Great suggestions; thank you all! I didn't know that courts did shows;  I will eagerly watch for some in the future. My toddler is enchanted by all the "pea desses" (pretty dresses) and I think she'd love to see more nobility in action this year.

Yes, in fact, this was a Western faire and my first time attending faire in that part of the country. Maybe things are jest diff'rint out thataway. :-)
Garb: lovingly hand-washed, gently pressed, and hung in climate-controlled closet. Mundane clothing: usually on floor.

BLAKDUKE

Well if you ever are at either of the  GCRF sites(Pensacola/Mobile) make sure you present yourself to the royal court and if you feel ignored then step right in front of them.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel