News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Hat ideas

Started by Adalia Lee, February 09, 2011, 12:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adalia Lee

Hi there,
I need some help coming up with hat ideas for a friend of mine. She wants a new hat for this season, and I am having a really hard time suggesting one to match her garb/status. (It also does not help that she is somewhat picky)
Does anyone have any suggestions?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/82575406@N00/sets/72157625887209897/ is where you can find pictures of her with a french hood and attifet (sorry I wasn't sure how to post pictures)

Thanks!

bookwench

How about a pillbox?  This is a pic I took at TRF this past year because I thought her pillbox was so pretty...

"I base most of my fashion taste on what doesn't itch." -G. Radner

ArielCallista

What about a hat like this

I'm not sure what its called but I've seen it done several times...It can be done with just a little trim and a small brooch or something or a crap ton of feathers depending on the style she likes...I'm sure someone will see this thread and know what this kind of hat is called...
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

Rowan MacD

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

McGuinness

Yeah, looks like a tall hat to me (LOVE that orange/gold costume, btw. What a color!)

A riding hat might be nice too. Very similar to a tall hat but slightly different in proportions. Check Tall Toad - their hats are of great quality and they have several varieties.

Adalia Lee

You guys are awesome! Both the tall hat and the pill box are great :)
Btw, has anyone ever used any of Lynn McMasters hat patterns? Due to our limited budget we are going to attempt to make it rather than purchase it.
Thanks for all of your help so far!

bookwench

I've used some Lynn McMasters patterns, and had mixed results.  The renaissance and medieval ones are great, the Victorian ones can be difficult (or maybe just the one I tried to do - it was more architecture than millinery!). 

You should have no problem with either the pillbox or tall hat pattern from her.  Good luck!

Quote from: Adalia Lee on February 09, 2011, 03:49:07 PM
You guys are awesome! Both the tall hat and the pill box are great :)
Btw, has anyone ever used any of Lynn McMasters hat patterns? Due to our limited budget we are going to attempt to make it rather than purchase it.
Thanks for all of your help so far!

Adalia Lee

Another Lynn McMasters question-has anyone made the ladies german hat? Was it difficult and where did you find the stiffened wool?
Thanks  :D

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Most all of Lynn McMasters(my mentor in all things period) uses Stiff Buckram for the base of her hats. I have most all of her patterns and they come out wonderful.

My Period Hats Album....http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/568945717rrLAko

All the hats you see in this album are based on Lynn's basic patterns. Her intructions are the easiest to follow.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

bookwench

I have that pattern, have cut out the pieces and fiddled about with it, but haven't yet made a finished hat from it. The instructions seem sound, though, and so far it has gone together well (and someday I'll actually finish it!).

My suggestion for the felt would be to get it from a millinery supply house like Hats by Leko (http://www.hatsupply.com/flat_fur_felt.htm), and then stiffen it with some felt stiffener (http://www.hatsupply.com/sizingstiffeners.htm).  Depending on the felt you might not have to stiffen it much at all.  Theoretically Joann's has 100% wool felt  - at least, they have a sign up in my local store advertising it - but I have yet to ever find it on the shelf.  

Quote from: Adalia Lee on February 14, 2011, 04:40:17 PM
Another Lynn McMasters question-has anyone made the ladies german hat? Was it difficult and where did you find the stiffened wool?
Thanks  :D

Adalia Lee

Thanks guys, and Bookwench if you do finish it before I get to it let me know how it went! It will be my first attempt at an actual hat. I've made french hoods before, but I cheated and used a visor  ;)

bookwench

If you made a French hood, I bet you can make this! :D

Quote from: Adalia Lee on February 15, 2011, 09:25:51 PM
Thanks guys, and Bookwench if you do finish it before I get to it let me know how it went! It will be my first attempt at an actual hat. I've made french hoods before, but I cheated and used a visor  ;)

Adalia Lee

One would think so, however my french hood required no sewing, just lots of hot glue :D
Like I said, I cheated and used an old visor turned upside down and covered that with fabric and pearls and a lace veil. It worked pretty well for a last minute project!

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Adalia Lee on February 16, 2011, 10:35:27 AM
One would think so, however my french hood required no sewing, just lots of hot glue :D
Like I said, I cheated and used an old visor turned upside down and covered that with fabric and pearls and a lace veil. It worked pretty well for a last minute project!

Nice work!  I made one from a visor too, and it looks fine.  Since I got a really nice visor, it stays in place very well, with no pins ;D
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

amy

that is an amazingly clever idea!   Thank you!