News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Okay, I really am doing it this time. Jerkin (doublet) purchase... help?

Started by JJames, February 03, 2011, 11:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJames

I have really decided on purchasing a doublet, or jerkin. I decided I want to go w/ leather and plan to purchase through Ravenwoods Leather (they call them Jerkins, but they resemble more like a doublet to me). I have, in quite a compulsive manner, been debating color and accents colors. I have been trying to be conservative, as I fear if I get certain colors I will be limited to what I decide to add to my persona (garb wise) later. I have recently leaned toward a privateer character, sounds fun, adventurous, etc. And currently I am thinking black for the color of jerkin. I understand black would not likely be so H/A in terms of the persona I am leaning toward (or I don't know better), however, in my mind it is a versatile color. Ma'lady on the other hand feels I should get some kind of accent color; I have a lot of black! I dunno, lol, I am not certain anyone can really help me, but me, as it is a preference. I just thought I would see if somebody might perhaps give a suggestion or relate to a personal experience as what I have now, or jus give ur two cents regardless.

Either way, I thank you giving me an audience.

gem

I hate to gainsay your fair lady, but to be honest, I rather like the look of the all-black Cavalier. In general, I tend to think accent colors are a good thing (and most garb can certainly stand up to lots of color)--but I'm not sure where the accent would go here, and I'm not really loving the wide center panel of color look on the other pieces.

I hope others weigh in, as well; I don't wish to be the only voice on this!

Rosamundi

OK, I'll jump in. Likewise, not to contradict your lady, but I like the black. It's the LBD of the Renaissance: dress it up or dress it down, it's all about the accessories. For colored accents, you could add a hood or full cape, bracers, sash, swordbelt, pouches, or more. If you're feeling swashbuckly rather than HA, you can wear a colored shirt underneath. A couple seasons on, you could have some detachable sleeves made up and go for the full Italian look.  It'll be fun stuff however you cut it. Share pics please, when you make a final decision, and congratulations on your upcoming purchase!
Garb: lovingly hand-washed, gently pressed, and hung in climate-controlled closet. Mundane clothing: usually on floor.

ArielCallista

I think black is a good option, when it comes to wanting to add color its cheaper to add colored shirts underneath. If you already have a few jerkin/doublets then I think it would be totally acceptable to get another color tho. If this is your only one tho you'll want to be sure you can get the most use out of it...so black is a logical choice...it goes with everything
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

JJames

Thank you ladies for your supportive input!

Lady Ariel, yes, this will be the only doublet I will have, and likely for a while. And I too was thinking the same thing, being that this will be all I have and I want to be able to change things up w/o being forced or limited to certain matching colors (i.e. if I chose an accent color).

Lady Gem, this link http://www.ravenswoodleather.net/shop/store/index.php?p=product&id=86&parent=17 shows an example of a jerkin w/ accent colors. The other concern I had was that there are only a few products showing some variations. Not knowing how the actual colors I pick will look on the finished product makes be very hesitant.   

Lady Rosamundi, thank you and I will post some pics once I get most of my garb put together! I will keep you posted.

Thanks again and good day to you all!

James

operafantomet

Nope, I jump on the "all black" wagon, especially that "all-black Cavalier". It's classy and as someone said it's also the LBD of period dressing. If you need to add variations to your attire, you could make a pair of fancy breeches instead, in a bold colour and maybe with slashes showing another colour underneath. Wear the breeches with matching stockings and funky shoes, and you have a whole different outfit. If you can remove the sleeves of the jerkin/doublet, even better. I know these are Italian, but they show what I'm trying to explain:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/renaissanceportraits/menlombardy/moroni1560gabrielcuevaberlin.jpg
Black jerkinwith red accent colour in the doublet, breeches and even redworked (embroidered) shirt. Funky!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/renaissanceportraits/venezia2/detail2.jpg
What about making black slashed/paned breeches, and line them with a contrasting colour? This colour can be used for the stockings and eventually other details as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/operafantomet/renaissanceportraits/mentuscany/salviati1550scaman.jpg
Black jerkin accented with white. And red, if you count the colour of his hair...

JJames

Nice examples, thank you. I was originally thinking about some simple slopps or going bold w/ just hosen n codpiece (err tights). However, it is nice to see and "conceptually" think of other color and style possibilities, even though the (I dont know if this is a jerkin or doublet), is of all black color, there are certainly more things that can match than I have previously imagined.  I am not too pressed to be H/A at this point, but, i had passed up on the clasps option (shown on the cavalier sytle) because I wasnt certain they were completely accurate.

Thank you operafantomet! You all have been very helpful. I dont mind more thoughts or ideas, but, I have certainly have some direction, Thank you.

James

lys1022

I'm a bit late to the party, but I agree with going with the black.  Especially since you can buy sleeves in colors later.  Totally period, by the way, to get different sleeves to go with a main garment.  It is much less expensive and is an easy way to change the look of an outfit.

It should look very handsome on you! :)
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

ArielCallista

If you're wanting to be "period" you might as well not match at all. They weren't overly concerned with that unless you were noble. Otherwise it was more about wearing your family's colors combined with whatever was available...So really if you wanted to you could choose to not give a d@mn but the all black is way more classy :)
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

LordPaulet

just a quick side note on all black leather....you will die in the sun and heat...I actually traded in my purples and greens for a black leather doublet last year and ended up half naked partway though the day! So be prepared to take that sucker off!

JJames

Lordpaulet please note that I do appreciate your sincere comments! Yes, I certainly did consider the heat issue. It has buttons and is sleevless. Im certain I can tolerate heat more than the average, and if needed, I perhaps can come up with an alternative option on occasion of extermely hot days.

I sent my order in Monday and its processed  ;D

"...So really if you wanted to you could choose to not give a d@mn but the all black is way more classy " It seems I wil have way more options than I had expected or even thought. Should be a fun venture none the less!

Butch

Lord Paulet!  How good to see you posting again!  It was great seeing you and Lord Tim Tatious at the KC RF last year.  I hope to see you at your own faire next year!  I was the sailor with the blue thrum cap, Pomponne l'Honette.