News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What do you sleep on?

Started by Alphena Brennafax, February 11, 2011, 01:14:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on February 15, 2011, 08:25:58 PM
M'Lady  ;D
I was just about to ask if this was a trick question... Gauwyn knows what he's talking about....
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Alphena Brennafax

Aiacha

At faire:  Queen size single high air mattress on the ground with blankets a-plenty!
At Pennsic: Queen size single high air mattress on top of some plywood and 6 6-gallon milk crates.  I pack them up nice and small then while I unpack, the milk crates are put at the corners and one extra along each long side.  then a couple 2x2's, then 4 pieces of plywood (cut smaller so that they pack easier).  I'll throw a couple nails into the plywood to attach to the 2x2's so they don't move around, then a bedskirt (pretty!) and then the air mattress.  It's wonderful to be able to sit on the side of the bed in the morning!

eloquentXI

Double layered Ozark air-mattress for me, has worked really well so far, though, you end being in a puppy pile if more than one person sleeps on it, though, that's not a bad thing.  :P
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: eloquentXI on March 28, 2011, 12:49:25 PM
Double layered Ozark air-mattress for me, has worked really well so far, though, you end being in a puppy pile if more than one person sleeps on it, though, that's not a bad thing.  :P
You hush!

Wolfhawker

Quote from: Woodland Artisan on February 12, 2011, 07:30:45 AM
The way I designed the frame, since I do a lot of demonstrations in traditional woodworking around the country and have to travel light/compact, it will 'tear down' with 4 wedges and the ropes don't have to be taken off (just loosened).  It compacts into a 7' long, 6" wide, 8" tall and weighs about 25 lbs (made of cedar ... also stands up to mud/rain).   All one unit ... no loose parts to go missing.

Can I get plans for this arrangement (paid or otherwise)?   I would like to build this (or two) for usage in further rens I gather at, please.
Na Fir Dileas
Clan McLotofus - The Order of Culloden Moor
QOH/QRHG
IBRS #1654
RMG #921
Assassin's Guild
RenRat Nat

Merlin the Elder

Woodland Artisan

Sorry for the late reply to your request.  I was merchanting at the Norman, OK renfaire this weekend and just got back yesterday.   If ever people want to get hold of me, go to my profile on this website and email or check my own website.

Anyway, I have the plans around here somewhere for that rope bed.  I'll check on that and let you know where to get them in a couple of days.   I'll post the picture, or link or something here.

Abbot Bubo

I do all the West coast Wars (Estrella, Potrero, Great Western) and my bed has definitely evolved over the years.
I started with the basic air mattress for faires...by my first Estrella 6 years ago, I made a bed frame for it.
Two years ago, I bought a 15' x 15' canvas tent.  My current bed is a frame-work of piping with rope running back and forth...I then have a queen size futon mattress resting on it.  The frame-work is then hung from my ridge pole...YES, I have a hanging, swinging, comfortable bed.  Above the gopher holes, wet grass, etc... Works great on sloping and uneven terrain as well...always level.
If you're at Potrero next month, come by House Leviathan and I'll show you the set-up I made...Ask for Abbot
I can also be found working in D&B Leather on merchant's row.

Abbot Bubo Spoondiacus

Woodland Artisan

Sorry about the delay and getting those plans up.   After doing the Norman show we've been busy building and filling orders for our retailers.

I just quickly threw a page together and put the plans for the rope bed at ...

http://www.hiltonhandcraft.com/plans/

For the renaissance and medieval crowd, I'll be posting plans for a multitude of chairs (such as the Savonarola chairs), wardrobes, carts, more beds, knitting and lace equipment, kitchenware items, farm implements and just so much more from our collections.  And that's just the stuff from those time periods!  Note:  These are own plans and from items we designed (or co-opted from historical pictures/descriptions), make and sell.  We don't sell plans for the things we manufacture for our retailers.