News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

My new Scottish targe

Started by Nighthawk, March 30, 2011, 05:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nighthawk

My latest project- it's a reproduction of one from the late 1600's that was posted on another board. Here they are, side by side:

I asked the family for permission to do this project, and they asked to me not make an exact copy. They wanted the one they had to remain unique, so I honored their wishes and kept the overall look and feel intact, while still making it my own.

Center detail:

The back:

I wanted to make the straps in such a way that they would be adjustable. I wear bracers from time to time, and this thing had to fit over a bracer, if I wanted it to. This had the benefit of making the targe ambidextrous, as a buddy pointed out to me!

Sexy beast holding it!

And a picture of the knife on the back:

So this is my new pride and joy!

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Bob of the Lake

Very nice indeed! And I commend you for taking the family's wishes into consideration.
I came, I saw, I skipped to my lou.
            - Hammy the Squirrel

amy

that is really cool.  I love that it looks so authentic.   Well made.

Nighthawk

Quote from: Bob of the Lake on March 31, 2011, 09:04:20 AM
Very nice indeed! And I commend you for taking the family's wishes into consideration.

I know how important that kind of thing is. I actually was torn between making an original and making a reproduction. I'm involved in living history, so I wanted one that looks like it's from my time period, but by the same token, my family needed one of our own, so it worked out well- best of both worlds!

Quote from: amy on March 31, 2011, 09:45:16 AM
that is really cool.  I love that it looks so authentic.   Well made.

Thank you thank you. I want to make another that looks less like something a noble would carry next.