News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Combination Great / Wee Kilt?

Started by Cobaltblu, June 11, 2008, 04:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobaltblu

I am thinking about getting a kilt (to be comfortable in hot summer weather) and want something period for the renaissance (late 1500s) so am looking for a great kilt but also like a Wee Kilt (without sash) because I have a nice vest and 4" wide belt I want to wear and show off.  I've never worn or tried on a kilt before.

-I did some internet searches on kilt history and it seems like the great kilt was the only form worn during the late 1500s, however what do you think of a person wearing a wee kilt for that time period?  I assume someone somewhere would have worn a reduced version of the kilt without the sash portion.

-Do you know of any kilts made with a section of fabric buttoned or laced so a person could remove it to wear a Wee Kilt and leave it in place to wear a Great Kilt?

-In the above idea with the Wee Kilt section I would wear my shirt first and then the kilt and then the vest and then the 4" wide belt.  Do you think this would hold together well or would I really need to sew a hidden waistband in to hold it all together?  I wouldn't have the option of tucking the kilt over the belt around my waist since the vest is over the kilt.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

NoBill Lurker

So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

groomporter

You're correct that the great kilt would be more appropriate for fair, but at most fairs there are plenty of people who wear the little, or "modern" kilt, so I wouldn't worry about it unless you are part of the cast. Heck there are participants who wear solid-colored Utilikilts as their garb.

<quote>-Do you know of any kilts made with a section of fabric buttoned or laced so a person could remove it to wear a Wee Kilt and leave it in place to wear a Great Kilt?</quote>

I've not seen anything made that way, but I have seen people wear and extra piece of plaid along with a small kilt to make it look more like a great kilt.

<quote>-In the above idea with the Wee Kilt section I would wear my shirt first and then the kilt and then the vest and then the 4" wide belt.  Do you think this would hold together well or would I really need to sew a hidden waistband in to hold it all together?  I wouldn't have the option of tucking the kilt over the belt around my waist since the vest is over the kilt.</quote>

It can work, you might have to wear the belt a little tighter to hold a "small kilt" together that isn't stitched together than a standard sewn-together kilt.
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

brier patch charlie

Heres an opsion this is what I do some times, it depends on which kilt I wear.  If I wear my BLK Watch kilt and want it to look like a great Kilt I wear the rap with it and thats a 2 yard  peace of wool cloth that maches the tartan. I pull it over my shoulders and tuck some  the bottom into my kilt with the belt going around me. then put on my doublet or wastcoat, the pull up that that is hanging down and fix it as I would a greatkilt. And it will look as if you are wearing a great kilt. And if it gets to hot you can take it off and have a wee kilt. You might say it's a two part great kilt. Just make sure the top matches the bottom, and it's at lest 54 inches wide.
Charles Coleman

SirRichardBear

The majority of my Scottish group wear modern kilts while not period it is something that the regular patrons expects a Scot to wear.  The majority of who will not know the difference between a great kilt and a modern kilt.

Note in in the early 1700's Highland soldiers were known to cut down their belted plaids into small plaids even having a name for the smaller version in Gailic.  That at least gives some supporting evidence that scots had been doing that for a long time.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

escherblacksmith

You could also just bustle it.

All the extra material ends up folded and parked in your lumbar region.  works great for sitting against hard surfaces . . .
--

Hatter

I have an ancient kilt from Kilts & Stuff. http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/ It works very well for Renfest and I can easily bustle it for warmer weather.  The ancient kilt has much less fabric than most great kilts.  I also love the pleats being sewn in.  They also have a hidden buckle so if your belt slips you don't end up flashing. It's almost as easy to put on as a wee kilt but has the look of a great kilt.  The fly fabric is half the width of usual great kilt so the bustle is quite small.

The Amadan

When the weather is too hot for one of my great kilts (belted plaids), I don a philabeg, http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/Kilts/phillabegs.html which still has a somewhat "rustic" look about it.
The authenticity can be argued, but when it's 90 degrees & high humidity, I'd rather not argue.
The Amadan
BoTK #97
Founder: Loyal Order of Lemmings
Laird Protector of Sarcasm, Clan Ootland
Generally Silly Man