News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

gypsy/ belly dancer ???

Started by Adalia Lee, February 17, 2011, 05:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adalia Lee

Has anyone out there created a gypsy-esque persona? If so what does your garb consist of and where did you find it? I recruited a friend of mine to join our faire posse and she would like to dress as a gypsy since that fits her personality best, but I am clueless as to what and where to find things. I have only been researching upper class and pirate costuming. I am a little out of my comfort zone here, please help!

Blue66669

Well, dearest, it depends on how progressive you'd like to be. Are we going as a tribal type gypsy? A traditional Romanian gypsy type? What do you have in mind?
Blaidd Drwg

Adalia Lee

I have no idea.
I just know that she will be unhappy/uncomfortable in anything else (as far as like being a noble or anything like that)
I am thinking more along the tribal lines but again, I don't know what she wants and I don't even think she knows what she wants.
Its frustrating  :-\
I just need a basic idea at this point of what the outfit would consist of. I think skirt, chemise, bodice but I don't know if I am correct in thinking that.

Blue66669

What is her body type? If she's comfortable with it, you could do a generic kind of gypsy something from Moresca. The kadija bodice is one of the shorty bodices, along with a kadija belt and some skirts. If you want to go more tribal, try this site... http://stores.ebay.com/Scarlets-Belly-Dance-Lounge
Blaidd Drwg

Adalia Lee

I think we will go with tribal. It just totally looks like something she would not only wear but love!
Thank you for the help!  ;D

Dinobabe

When I think of Gypsy, in the Ren sense, I think nomadic.  So the outfit would consist of styles from many cultures.  Hodgepodge would be the go to word.  Have her pick out individual things from photos of many outfits and put something together from there.  If that sounds ok with her, of course. ;D
I am working on a gypsy/bellydancer outfit under the same principle.  The best addition was the gawhazee coat I made several weeks ago (still need to post a photo if it!). ::)
You can sort of see the coat here.  I'm standing behind the column.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com