News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Medieval Faire in Norman, OK-who's going?

Started by LadyMorna, February 18, 2011, 09:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyMorna

Butterflies in the stomach...I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve!
Mistress of Conundrum Castle, Wife of Sir Marcas McLaren, and Lady-in-Waiting to two royal housecats

Merlin the Elder

You have to remember that Oklahoma was one of the last states to repeal Prohibition (1959). The last was Missouri in 1966, which is strange, since Anheuser-Busch is in St Louis...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Rani Zemirah

It was soooo hot today... and there is so little shade that it was very difficult for me to stay.  We left a couple of hours before closing (unheard of for me!), and tomorrow I won't be wearing a bodice, because it's supposed to get even hotter.  I'm not sure what the official was today, but my phone said it was 90* at one point... and it was only predicted to be 70*. 

Still, it was Faire... and tomorrow I will simply wear a bit less, and drink a great deal more water! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Merlin the Elder

OY!  I think it's going to be hot at Scarby preview as well, but I'm thinking of going as a Hawaiian Wizard....

LadyMorna

As much as I love Faire, when it's really hot, we don't stay but maybe 3 hours.  Both hubby and I are on medications that don't go well with heat.  We still enjoy what time we can, though!

Lady Morna
(who will be sporting more of a pirate look tomorrow; it's too hot to be noble!)
Mistress of Conundrum Castle, Wife of Sir Marcas McLaren, and Lady-in-Waiting to two royal housecats

raevyncait

Sadly, I didn't manage to see anyone today :( hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to walkabout a little more, and see more folks.  Instead of walking around, I'll be spending much of the day at the sales table for The Rogues, back behind the audience at the Gryphon stage!
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Craigmeister

300,000 people visit the Norman Medfaire over the period of a weekend.  Isn't that amazing for a "dry" event in Oklahoma?  HUZZAH!
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Rani Zemirah

We were barely able to make it through half of the SCA area today, and part of the middle, because of the heat.  I'll be less garbed tomorrow, and more "eclectic Gypsy", because I would rather attend and see everyone and everything in at least a bit more comfort than have to leave early again because of heat exhaustion. 

Last year the weather was much more historically accurate!!!  :D
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Craigmeister on April 02, 2011, 12:07:03 AM
300,000 people visit the Norman Medfaire over the period of a weekend.  Isn't that amazing for a "dry" event in Oklahoma?  HUZZAH!
All due respect, Craigmeister, I think you might want to check the decimal point.  That's 3 times the population of Norman. If they came 4 to a car, there would be a string of cars 192 miles long. I believe a lot of strange stuff, but I'll have to pass on this one!

Rani Zemirah

Actually, Merlin... that's been the "official" count on the Faire's website for the last few years, although I'd say it's probably closer to 3/4 of that.  Since it's a free event a lot of local people come for an hour or two and then leave, and only about 3-4% come in garb and stay for 4 hours or more, but the sports stadium right next door has 4707 paved parking spaces, and about that in paved and unpaved spaces in the open lots all around the park where the festival is held, and they're almost always at capacity, even though the traffic is constantly in motion.  People come from all over the state for it, also, and a lot of people come in from out of state just to shop for accessories, since the prices for most things are pretty reasonable.  It's the season kick off Faire for a lot of vendors, and many of them choose to miss, or delay, 8 week runs just so they don't miss the sales at our Faire.  Friday is also School Day, and middle and high schools from all over the state bring buses full of kids.  They usually stay an average of 2.5 hours, and the paved parking lot is at least half full of buses all day, so 4000 buses with 44 students each is 176,000 students, all in one day...  And that's just Friday.  Oklahomans do love their festivals... even if they don't really want to dress up for them, or stay all day.  ;)
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Merlin the Elder

Jeez!   If that's the case, why just a soft faire?  That's bigger than Scarby, population-wise.  Call me a doubting Thomas. I still have a hard time with those numbers, but glad that it goes so well for everyone.

LadyMorna

Today was our first visit to the Medieval Faire of Norman.  I was NOT expecting it to be so big! It felt more crowded than Scarby for sure!  Because it's under "Smaller Southern Faires", I was expecting something rather small.  We couldn't stay very long because our friend who came with us wasn't feeling well; however, it was dazzling!

The Rabbi

I would like to say I was a bit overwhelmed at Sat. crowds but did enjoy myself even though I forgot to put a number in my cell and missed a chance to meet Rani (SO SOORY) as I was looking forward to the oppurtunity. I did bring Magic my shoulder dragon and was able to make several wee ones smile(Now thats true magic) not to mention Magic was a big hit with adults as well. Experianced several rude vendors which kept money in my pocket but my hats off to the good people of Norman as for such a large crowd I was TOTALY impressed with the common courtesy of both the playtrons and mundanes HUZZAH for both. Did anyone else parking at the Loyd Noble Center conceptionalize the concept of Medieval Gymnastics? 
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

LadyMorna

This morning I discovered that I'd gotten my first sunburn of the year, or should I say, "ren-burn", as one can plainly see where my bodice's neckline was!  My husband got the top of his head burned.  We just didn't think about getting sunburned so early in the year.   :D

Rani Zemirah

The sun is brutal here, no matter what time of year, and shade at our Faire is almost non-existent!  My bodice burn is nice and crispy this morning, and I wore sunscreen AND carried a parasol... and I'm headed out again today!  Not wearing much in the way of garb today, though, because I just can't take the heat.  I'm going "eclectic Gypsy" today, just because I can...  ;)  Might even wrap a sari around my head and shoulders to protect them from any more damage...
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede