News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Medieval Faire in Norman, OK-who's going?

Started by LadyMorna, February 18, 2011, 09:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyMorna

'Tisn't easy living in this climate when you're a blue-eyed, ivory-skinned redhead.  I used SPF 50 sunscreen and still burned.  It was worth it, though.
Mistress of Conundrum Castle, Wife of Sir Marcas McLaren, and Lady-in-Waiting to two royal housecats

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on April 02, 2011, 03:39:27 PM
Jeez!   If that's the case, why just a soft faire?  That's bigger than Scarby, population-wise.  Call me a doubting Thomas. I still have a hard time with those numbers, but glad that it goes so well for everyone.

It's a soft site because the Faire itself started as something the English dept of OU hosted in 1977 as a one day event on the campus, and it's grown from that to what it is now.  I believe it might now be administered by the City of Norman, or perhaps in conjunction with the college (that part is unclear on the website), and sponsored by the City of Norman Parks and Rec Dept, as well as many local businesses and organizations.  So, since there is no private ownership of the Faire, it's simply held in the biggest park in Norman.  No year-round site maintenance, no admission fee, no extended season, easy clean up and massive 3 day attendance.  The tax and vendor fee revenue for the City is pretty enormous, also...  Besides, there's already a hard site Faire in Muskogee, and they don't draw anywhere near the attendance that Norman does, but it's precisely because it IS only 3 days that makes people want to attend.  If they could go just any ol' time within an 8 week run, and have to PAY to get in, as well, it would probably lose a lot of it's appeal pretty quickly. 

Lady Morna, I'm not ivory-skinned, have very dark hair, and used good strong sunscreen, and I'm pretty crispy, myself!  Ouch!!! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

The Rabbi

And what a sof site it is The logistics of this event must truly be a nightmare at times. Huzzah to all those who actively participate in creating this mobile city. I still have yet to see a show in my last 5 Fest one of which is mine. Personally this was way to big for me but in spite of my own anxieties I still enjoyed myself would have liked to have met a few of you good folks but alas tis my loss. Folks I dont like big fairs but would recomend this one in a heartbeat.
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

Rani Zemirah

Rabbi, I believe Scally and I stopped to talk to a gentleman who had a friend upon his shoulder, and another in/on his hand.  Could that have been you, by chance?  We were so overwhelmed by the crowds that I forgot I was supposed to be looking for a shoulder dragon, and it wasn't until I was reading here yesterday that the encounter replayed in my mind.  If it was Saturday then I wasn't in my regular garb, but was wearing a deep red patchwork velvet peasant top, and layered thin silk skirts in shades of light orangy pink and light green, and carrying a basket.  Not easy to remember a single swift encounter amongst that mad swirl of color and faces, I know!!! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

The Rabbi

Per Chance while I didnt have a second friend I was holding a second dragon thinking about buying it until vendor got rude. I understand about the being overwhelmed part so no worries there. I do hope you are still planning on being here in May and if so well You wont have no choice but to meet me lol.
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

Rani Zemirah

We'll still be here then...  LOL   

Tell me, have you spoken to a group called Silverwolf Productions about bringing their pirate ship, by any chance?  I'm not sure if they will be booked that weekend, but you might at least open a dialog with them, because they are a wonderfully unique attraction, and fascinate adults and children, alike!  
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Rani Zemirah

Wonderful shots, Sir Ronald!  I see you have a particular fondness for our joust!  Love the HDR work, btw, and the raptor shots are absolutely breathtaking...  I wish we were able to catch more shows, but the lack of shade usually keeps me out of the audiences, I'm afraid.  

I have a few shots of the crowds I remembered to take on Sunday so I could show Merlin what it's like out there, but the dirt and grass laden wind cut the attendance by at least 1/3, so it's not really representative of what it was like Friday and Saturday.  I'll see about loading them here, since Merlin isn't on facebook...

My NMF 2011 album...
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Ronald the Bald

It's not the whole joust I have a fondness for. Just one of the squires.

Rani Zemirah

Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Craigmeister

The Medfaire's Facebook page posted its attendance figures for this year's faire.  It is around 400,000 people now.  It's amazing to see how popular this faire is.

If you want smaller crowds, come to Tulsa's King's Champion Medfaire this September.  This will be our 4th year, so there will be much more room.  We have no entry fee or parking fee.  (I had forgotten that I had to pay for parking last year at Norman.)

www.kingschampion.net
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

eloquentXI

Bad bad weather with at least one confirmed tornado confirmed in your neck of the woods.
Just checking in to make sure that everyone is ok.
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Rani Zemirah

Scally and I are ok, and things are starting to clear up here, a bit. Still no power, though, but Edmond seldom loses it for very long, so... woops! It just came back on!!! Lol

Hope everyone else is ok, also!
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede