News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Fare of Faire - Please help!!

Started by CaraGreenleaf, February 24, 2011, 07:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaraGreenleaf

Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but I'll try here and the crafter's section. It's kinda different.

Faire friends! I put a challenge to you! I'm building a cookbook - and I want my Fairemily's best ideas! The working title for this cookbook is: The Fare of Faire, A Compilation of Flavors from Renaissance Festivals Across the Country. I'm hoping to compile enough recipes to build a publish-able cookbook! And I want everything: main dishes, sides, appetizers, soups, veggies, drinks, cocktails...whatever you got, I'll take!

If you have anything you want to share, post in the thread, and please message me as well so that I can give proper credit where it's due (real names and your general location, as well as your home faire)

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Castleteer, IWG# 3606, MERC# 836, PRIV# 1311
Flog'n M'Crack, Chieftess of O'Cinneide

Corseter, Costumer and Crochete

amy

I think this is a brilliant idea.   Thank you for starting this up!   I know I would want a copy when it is available.  Especially if it includes favorite tailgate fare and camping and packable foods!   Would also love to re-create at home what we spoil ouselves with on the fairegrounds!  Yummy!

CaraGreenleaf

Can't wait for the recipes to start flowing in! I've already gotten a couple on facebook, but none so far on here...Could you help spread the word?

lys1022

Just curious, what will the funds raised by the cookbook be used for?
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

CaraGreenleaf

Haven't planned that far ahead....I'm open to suggestions! Leaning towards RESCU right now

Adriana Rose

RESCU is awesome!

Here is one that I love!

Peanut Butter Dates

1 jar of seedless Dates ( I use DOLE brand)
Your favorite creamy Peanut butter
About 1 cup sugar

Split each date down the center so it looks kind of like a hot dog bun with a butter knife.
Then take about a teaspoon of peanut butter and fill each date.
When all the dates are filled roll each date  in the sugar lightly coating.

They travel very well in plastic bags and in tupperware.

This is a great protien boost on those hot days and they are super yummy!

Good luck

Nighthawk

I'll post my recipe for organ meat free haggis this evening, after I dig it out.

amy

OH yummm.  I just saw the date recipe!  Amazing!   I have used walnuts and pecans for stuffing but never peanut butter!  That is genious!

Rowan MacD

A version of this was used at SCA on 12th night one year. The theme was 'A Spanish Royal Feast'.

Chicken with fresh rosemary, stuffed with herbed oranges.

I have never tried this with an oven bag.  If anyone does, let me know how it turns out.

Oven temp 350

1 whole roasting chicken or Capon
  1 whole small orange
  a few whole cloves or peeled garlic cloves (use whatever background flavor you prefer, I have made this both ways)
  2-3 spears fresh Rosemary
  Butter (about 1/2 stick)

Prepare chicken.  Rub outside with butter. Lightly salt interior if desired. 
   Peirce orange generously with skewer or large round toothpick, stud evenly with 2-3 cloves or same amount of garlic cloves cut in half and pushed into cuts in the orange skin.
   Insert whole orange into chicken cavity. During cooking the flavored juice will seep out into the meat.
   Lay the rosemary spears over the chicken breast before covering the bird with foil.
   Bake chicken at 350 degrees for an hour, uncover and let brown until internal temperature reaches 165.
    Remove from oven, discard orange from cavity.  Carve and serve with fruited rice below.

Fruited Rice

1 cup instant white rice
  mixed dried fruits, diced.
  1 cup chicken (or vege) broth.

Bring broth to boiling 
Remove from heat and add dried fruit and rice, cover and allow to steam until rice is tender and fruit plumps.
   This is a wing-it-as-you-go kind of recipe. Add more or less broth if the rice looks like it may be dry.  The end result is white rice that is delicately flavored, and provides a nice presentation.

The whole, uncarved chickens were presented to the royal table resting on a bed of fruited rice piled on a silver tray.  Since the kitchen staff are a bunch of pinch and dash cooks and the cook in charge was very into 'period' style cooking,  there is no written recipe I could provide other than this.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt