News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Leather Dye question

Started by Sir Martin, September 26, 2011, 12:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Martin

Greetings to all.  I purchased a sword, scabbard and baldric for my knight garb.  The leather on this baldric has a smooth top and a rough bottom. The black dye doesn't seem to be "set" properly on the underside and it rubs off on my garb.  I've rubbed it a few times with old socks or other soft cotton cloths and removed quite a bit of the dye, but it is still there in quantities large enough to stain my garb. Do any of you know of a way to remove the excess dye so that it does not stain my light colored garb anymore?  I don't seem to have this problem with the scabbard.  It is a harder and smoother leather and the dye in it does not rub off on clothing.  I will be attending TRF in a few weeks so if you know of any leather workers there that I can contact for help I will certainly give them some business if I am not able to fix this myself.  Thank you for any help you may provide.

Auryn

Sorry you are having that problem Sir Martin,
unfortunately its common with unsealed leather.
My recommendation as a leather worker is two fold.
Take another cotton sock or rag that you don't care about and rub some more
and 2
you need to get yourself some acrylic resolene (you can get it on ebay for like $8 a bottle) and apply several coats_ I would give it at least 3 coats but not more than 5. ( A small sponge is my favorite application tool- one that you won't be using for anything else, before or after- you can get a multipack of sponges at a dollar store)
The acrylic resolene will give you a watersafe seal that will stop the dye from bleeding out.
This process will take a couple of hours as you have to let it dry completely between coats
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

crazyrennie

You could also try your local Tandy-if there is one in you neck of the woods-

Crazy

Rogue Hidesmith

Quote from: Auryn on September 26, 2011, 12:18:36 PM
you need to get yourself some acrylic resolene (you can get it on ebay for like $8 a bottle) and apply several coats_ I would give it at least 3 coats but not more than 5. ( A small sponge is my favorite application tool- one that you won't be using for anything else, before or after- you can get a multipack of sponges at a dollar store)
The acrylic resolene will give you a watersafe seal that will stop the dye from bleeding out.
This process will take a couple of hours as you have to let it dry completely between coats

I'd also recommend Leather Sheen. I use it as a final finish to seal my masks. It is commonly available in spray cans at Tandy Leather.
If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603